View Full Version : Vacuum bag machine recommendations

Guppy
10-24-2016, 12:09 PM
Could use one... Some?

Would like to put away some tog for the winter for the war department and I .

As long as the boats in I pretty much have our needs covered

Would appreciate u's recommendations

Steve K
10-24-2016, 12:24 PM
I have been using a foodsaver for over 15 years and I am very happy with it. My first one lasted over 10 years of heavy use.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Cool Beans
10-24-2016, 01:03 PM
we have a small handheld vacuum device that uses the bags that have the small circle seal on them, was very cheap at wallmart. it is rechargeable and sucks most of the air out and its what I use for tog.

I think the thing cost less than $20 and then we buy the bags there too. I've been using the same one for 2 years now and its still working fine

The one we have is called Fresh Saver and made by Food Saver (https://www.walmart.com/ip/FoodSaver-FreshSaver-Handheld-Vacuum-System/15777783) cost is $17

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/bc6f4177-b1b4-4bc4-ac93-56c3b0815fbd_1.dbfdb42c4aae4ef6734b8b19ee283fe3.jp eg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

Slipknot
10-24-2016, 01:18 PM
I use a Foodsaver, easy to use

sometimes with wet stuff, if you freeze it for a bit so the juice doesn't get sucked up, it will help so the seal doesn't fail since it just melts the bag to seal it, and if water is present, it may leak air much like plumbing when trying to sweat a pipe that is wet.

niko
10-24-2016, 01:58 PM
I bag up what I want to freeze and just submerge the bag in a bucket of water and zip them shut - sometimes I stick a straw in the baggies and zip it most of the way shut - pull out the straw and zip it quick and almost no air gets back in

Got Stripers
10-24-2016, 02:25 PM
Food saver and happy with it.

ecduzitgood
10-24-2016, 03:39 PM
Food saver, and when putting filets in I fold a piece of paper towel so it goes across the whole width to absorb the liquid while vacuuming so the liquid/juices will not interfere with the seal.

nightfighter
10-24-2016, 07:12 PM
Foodsaver here too. The better half said to tell you to look on QVC as they just ran a special on them

beamie
10-24-2016, 09:27 PM
Food saver, and when putting filets in I fold a piece of paper towel so it goes across the whole width to absorb the liquid while vacuuming so the liquid/juices will not interfere with the seal.

I second this paper towel way, it's what I do.

Rockfish9
10-25-2016, 06:14 AM
Food saver and a roll of paper towels...our new one ( about 3 years old) holds the roll in the machine...and has a built in cutter...

Guppy
10-25-2016, 06:17 AM
Great stuff u's guys, thanks

Here's another one
how do I stop this f n wind so's I can go get tog to vac ? ;);) :wave:

JFigliuolo
10-25-2016, 06:37 AM
I had a cheaper name brand that worked OK for a few years. It STB so I got a basic food saver brand. It works much better and worth the extra $.

ecduzitgood
10-25-2016, 07:09 AM
Food saver and a roll of paper towels...our new one ( about 3 years old) holds the roll in the machine...and has a built in cutter...

I have that same unit (I have both) but was disappointed how the machine required the insertion of the bag to start the vacuum automatically compared to the basic machine that requires you to start the vacuum by pressing a button. I found the cheaper bags do not have the same thickness and sometimes would not move the flap inside to start the vacuum. I also didn't like the amount of excess bag required to activate the vacuum. It does make for a more compact setup since the bag roll stores inside and allows for both hands to hold the bag during the process which may make it more attractive to people who aren't as cheap as me though. For now I still use my old basic seal a meal 95% of the time.

Ed B
10-25-2016, 09:52 AM
I bag up what I want to freeze and just submerge the bag in a bucket of water and zip them shut - sometimes I stick a straw in the baggies and zip it most of the way shut - pull out the straw and zip it quick and almost no air gets back in

I do something similar. I read about the cheap man's vac seal, s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g on the straw, which sounds corny but it works pretty darn good. I'm not sure how it compares to a machine, but it's good enough for me and stuff I've pulled out of the freezer after a few months looked good. With the way we loose power in RI, I don't like putting up too much food anyway without a backup generator.

Steve K
10-26-2016, 01:48 PM
I use a Foodsaver, easy to use

sometimes with wet stuff, if you freeze it for a bit so the juice doesn't get sucked up, it will help so the seal doesn't fail since it just melts the bag to seal it, and if water is present, it may leak air much like plumbing when trying to sweat a pipe that is wet.

Besides using a paper towel like others have suggested to eliminate the moisture, wrap each filet in plastic wrap first. Then there is no issue with liquid and you can put multiple filets in the same bag and they don't freeze together. You can then take out one filet when you need it and reseal the bag. You use a lot fewer bags this way too. I do this when I buy a multipack of pork chops and steak too.

ecduzitgood
10-26-2016, 01:55 PM
Besides using a paper towel like others have suggested to eliminate the moisture, wrap each filet in plastic wrap first. Then there is no issue with liquid and you can put multiple filets in the same bag and they don't freeze together. You can then take out one filet when you need it and reseal the bag. You use a lot fewer bags this way too. I do this when I buy a multipack of pork chops and steak too.
Great tip thanks.

Guppy
10-26-2016, 03:58 PM
Good stuff u's guys....
Going tog fishing tomorrow and hopefully buying a bagger in the evening,,,
I'll let cha no... :):)

surf_rod
10-27-2016, 06:28 AM

good tip, I'll give that one a try next time!

Raven
10-27-2016, 06:32 AM
Great stuff u's guys, thanks

Here's another one
how do I stop this f n wind ? ;);) :wave:

first believe that it's possible
that's the most important thing

then hold your arms up to the sky
face the direction you want it to go
and begin your chant holding a raven feather

seagull feathers don't work at all
in fact you might create a hurricane
HURRICANE Guppy - LOL :jester:

Guppy
10-27-2016, 01:38 PM
first believe that it's possible
that's the most important thing

then hold your arms up to the sky
face the direction you want it to go
and begin your chant holding a raven feather

seagull feathers don't work at all
in fact you might create a hurricane
HURRICANE Guppy - LOL :jester:

Craig, you try it first with a brown duck feather, you'll probably get snow with the wind, just saying