View Full Version : SoCo surf report

piemma
10-28-2016, 03:46 AM
Spent about 6 hours in the surf yesterday from Watch Hill to Narrow River. Very slow for Bass but a lot of Bluefish around. Seems like the bass are about 200 yds offshore as I saw a couple of boats hammering breaking fish.

Best bite was West.

JohnR
10-28-2016, 06:46 AM
Bait?

piemma
10-28-2016, 06:54 AM
Bait?

I honestly never saw any bait anywhere I was. maybe the breachways but I don't bother with them because of all the asshats that fish them in the daytime.

Thumper
10-28-2016, 08:20 AM
Piemma, have you ever had success during the day in SoCo targeting big fish?

Clammer
10-28-2016, 08:25 AM
Bernzy,s in S/C starting today til mid Sunday ,so have no fear if he,s there ><><:eyes:

piemma
10-28-2016, 08:29 AM
Piemma, have you ever had success during the day in SoCo targeting big fish?

Yes, I have. Not saying where but at the beginning of a NE blow , like yesterday, a certain place in narr would light up with large. Not yesterday though

Dick Durand
10-28-2016, 11:54 AM
Bait?

Small pods of adult bunker.

BatesBCheatin
10-28-2016, 03:08 PM
Quite a rush watching big bass chase adult bunker through the crests of waves. Have only seen that with big blues recently, tho.

Guppy
10-28-2016, 04:03 PM
Quite a rush watching big bass chase adult bunker through the crests of waves..
The stuff dreams are made of :-)
Happened a couple times this season for me on the other side of the curl as you,,, it's gona be a long winter.... :-(

BatesBCheatin
10-28-2016, 04:12 PM
it's gona be a long winter.... :-(

It always is. :(

Isn't SoCo due for a good on shore sea herring run? One can hope. That will shorten the winter by a few weeks or so. I think the last one was about four years ago? Memory says every 5 years or so around Turkey Day it happens.

chefchris401
10-29-2016, 10:50 AM
Last one was 2011, fishing sucked in October and was lights out from November to almost the end of December, got my last fish that year dec 14-16
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

fishpoopoo
10-29-2016, 09:44 PM
Fished the incomimg tonight at east beach. Soaked some herring chunks and landed some baby dogfish lol. At c-town bw gonna try the outgoing with eels and plugs.

fishpoopoo
10-29-2016, 09:45 PM
Misq was nice 2 weeks ago...

Clammer
10-30-2016, 07:29 AM
Paulie , ya know ya gotta be in the right place @ the right time >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> there are more adult bunker down around the south shore , ponds, etc than I have ever seen ............. there are fish If you want to put in the time .Me I enjoy riding the beaches this time of year ..........most times I don,t even bring my gear ><>< S?W yesterday with a warm up :wid:

fishpoopoo
10-30-2016, 09:19 AM
some small fish at ctown bway. first cast at around 11:30 pm last night.

the wind picked up, coming from w/sw and it was wind against out going flow. sloppy.

i left after it started getting crowded, so dunno how it went for the rest of the guys there. i don't think anything was happening.

scoped the pond side for a bit, saw a lot of fire being spit into the bway.

piemma
10-30-2016, 03:37 PM
Paulie , ya know ya gotta be in the right place @ the right time >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> there are more adult bunker down around the south shore , ponds, etc than I have ever seen ............. there are fish If you want to put in the time .Me I enjoy riding the beaches this time of year ..........most times I don,t even bring my gear ><>< S?W yesterday with a warm up :wid:

I know Mike. Listen, I've had a great year. No complaints with the number and size. Most of all I killed NO bass this year.

Clammer
10-30-2016, 04:10 PM
i know you put your time in ....IMO everything is still behind a bit ><><

Justfishin'
10-30-2016, 04:14 PM
Fished one of the mentioned spots yesterday @daybreak for a coupla hrs
I had one swipe at a pencil, saw one blue landed, about a dozen guys I could see, few more farther up to too far to see.

I always used to get my best fishing in this time of year........

NOT givin' up

stripermaineiac
10-30-2016, 07:07 PM
Was down for a few days. Found huge blues twice on bunker an mullet on the sandy beach by Ctown. The kids next to me got a 20 lb blue by his boga. We had fish for over 2 hrs. The smallest was over 13 lbs. Got1 big bass out of the rocks over 30lb. Found best results when the bait ,fish an birds weren,t showing. Stopped castin at the breaks as it was fruitless most times. The fish weremovin fast but when they found the bunker it was fun. Fish TV in the wave. Fun watchin the tag along fish tryin to steal the plug out of the mouth of the hooked fish.

ProfessorM
10-30-2016, 07:22 PM
I need to give this RI thing a shot. Never been. I am usually burnt out this time of year but I feel a little need to try it.

BatesBCheatin
10-31-2016, 02:07 PM
Last one was 2011, fishing sucked in October and was lights out from November to almost the end of December, got my last fish that year dec 14-16

One of the rare years that the season ended with a bang. Think I gave it up around December 10. Will never forget the hundreds of yards of herring scales up and down the beaches for those few weeks. 2011? Ok, we are due but I'm not betting on it.

I need to give this RI thing a shot. Never been. I am usually burnt out this time of year but I feel a little need to try it.

Still green fish around way to the west as of y'day believe it or not. Boat guys got into them. Shore guys got them a few days ago. Just missed it.

ProfessorM
10-31-2016, 04:07 PM
I believe you. We got a few along the Elizabeth's on Sat. not a soul around but I think you guys are getting better size.

stripermaineiac
11-01-2016, 03:17 PM
Got a call from 1 of the guys I was fishing with the other day. He said its the same. After the birds an breakin fish move off the action would start. He had fish along the beach at Ctown and just before dusk on 1 of the Firemans dist beaches. 20 to 30 in with 2 almost 40. Bunker an small bait. Ive got another funeral to go to so no way to get down.

Zeal
11-02-2016, 10:23 PM
Pretty much sums up the woes of the surfcasting on LI here, extremely slow, bunker too far out to cast for, finding the bait but not the predators, really deflated me. However bottom fishing has been on fire this year...

BatesBCheatin
11-05-2016, 11:56 AM
Damn I hate when gator blues get picky. Had to resort to cheating later in the day recently by using the rusty old snag hook which rarely sees any use. Wouldn't touch anything I had and got worse as the day wore on. :rollem: Still no gannets seen but a rumor of sea herring.

fishgolf
11-06-2016, 12:08 PM
Big blues in Weekapaug both mornings this weekend. They liked big Danny swimmers better than leadheads or minnow lures... No bass. Now, done for the season. On the way home, saw the Wakefield bald eagle perched in its nest get buzzed by a Red Tail hawk. Pretty cool.

chefchris401
11-06-2016, 12:44 PM
46 lb fish weighed in today at a shop in soco, pics/location and plug all posted on FB

bart
11-06-2016, 12:51 PM
:rollem:

ProfessorM
11-06-2016, 01:50 PM
Saw that pic. Nice fish on a swimmer.

chefchris401
11-06-2016, 02:21 PM
Saw that pic. Nice fish on a swimmer.

Yeah the fish seem to be loving the big metal lips lately. Took a couple fish the other day on a surface Donny in the middle of the day

ProfessorM
11-06-2016, 02:26 PM
a good friend of mine has been crushing fish on a large danny I gave him for a few weeks now. He lost a real large one 2 weeks ago at night when the fish broke the hook. Been a real good metal lip fall for him. Nothing better than catching on metal lips IMO.

Rmarsh
11-09-2016, 07:24 AM
Just before the sun set, in crystal clear water, I saw a dark cloud of bait moving closer to the beach I was fishing. When it got into shallow water about 25' from shore, the blues and bass attacked. I cast just beyond the chaos and hooked into a large bluefish, as i was unhooking it, the feeding frenzy continued. Next cast a striped bass hit my lure, then another large blue, it went on for a half hour or so before it got dark and it ended.

piemma
11-10-2016, 05:02 AM
Just before the sun set, in crystal clear water, I saw a dark cloud of bait moving closer to the beach I was fishing. When it got into shallow water about 25' from shore, the blues and bass attacked. I cast just beyond the chaos and hooked into a large bluefish, as i was unhooking it, the feeding frenzy continued. Next cast a striped bass hit my lure, then another large blue, it went on for a half hour or so before it got dark and it ended.

Great story.

BatesBCheatin
11-19-2016, 02:35 PM
Gannets. 6-10lb Blues. Dinks. Large peanuts. Sea Herring. Bill. Hillary. :eek: That's my 100% accurate morning surf report. lol

SAUERKRAUT
11-20-2016, 06:59 PM
Was on SoCo yesterday also. 260 miles of awful. A total water/surf condition change with even a little Easterly in the wind. Only consolation is that I burned just about as much gasoline as Numbskull does just going out of the Harbor.

piemma
11-21-2016, 06:59 AM
I'm done. Packing my stuff for South Carolina. I'll send report back on how the fishing is.

bart
11-21-2016, 07:22 AM
Gannets putting on a show yesterday. Gulls in close picking off peanuts and herring. Hard W wind....

Made for the perfect skunking...

numbskull
11-21-2016, 04:00 PM
Lower Vineyard Sound had loads of small bass, gannets, sea herring, 6-9# blues, and occasional bigger bass to 25# when I was out Saturday. Hurts that this gale will keep me away from them for several critical days. I think people will have quit fishing along RI long before the fish are gone.

BatesBCheatin
11-21-2016, 06:24 PM
2nd hand report of 8-10lb blues and small bass still in the area as of y'day morning. One beach area much better than the other areas. Bait was there but almost impossible to see with the wind. Bill and Hillary not seen. However, for you left libs I can sell you some sand that they walked on under TS's house a few days ago. $10/gram. Have pictures. Others can have it free for their cat box. PM me.