View Full Version : Glacier bay catamaran

Poncho
10-30-2016, 09:23 AM
Looking at the 23 foot dual console from glacier bay. Anybody have an comments? It is a compromise. My wife love the amenities and space. A head is a must! I like it because it is roomy and recently went for a ride. It was very smooth and stable in 3 foot chop. Has fish coolers rod holders and live well. My only problem is that it is not a center console and that concerns me a bit for fishing . Any thoughts good or bad are appreciated

Sea Dangles
11-01-2016, 07:44 PM
Cats ride great and fish well too
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

piemma
11-02-2016, 04:06 AM
What Chris said.

numbskull
11-10-2016, 07:38 AM
I have never ridden in one so my opinion is not worth much.

I did consider buying one some years back.
Some concerns I had (which you might want to consider....I'm not sure how valid they are):

Maneuverability among rocks (I fish in very close).
The need/expense for twin engines.
Lowish cruising speeds (they act like displacement hulls)
Reported "puff" or blowback over the bow creating a misting effect (I wear glasses).
Difficult trailerbility

There is a small one next to me in the harbor (which brand I'm not sure). It sank this year when one pontoon's bilge pump failed and it shipped water through a poorly sealed splash well access plate while out seabass fishing (I had a monohull seacraft do the same so I don't mean to imply too much by it). That said, the design is popular in the pacific and I'm sure there are plenty of advantages as well.

keeperreaper
11-10-2016, 10:29 AM
GB's are displacement hulls. So they will be the slowest of the 3 types of catamarans (displacement, semi-displacement, planing). They are super stable on the drift and you can put a lot of people on one side with out the typical monohull lean. They will sneeze a bit on the troll but that is easily corrected by adjusting your heading a few degrees. Also cats turn differently then monohulls. They turn more like cars and lean differently. They are squirrely as hell in a following sea and can be hard to control. Catamarans can snap roll if you bury a sponson (not fun). Boat wont flip over. They do ride generally better than any monohull in their class size and dont pound in the chop and slop. Their fit and finish is very good; at least the older ones. Check the wiring as the bilge pumps on some were wired to one battery so if it fails ALL the pumps fail. They are nice boats. Personally a DC satisfies the wife but can make fishing a pain in the ass at times due to the setup. I'd pass myself on this setup if fishing is the primary activity for the boat. I am also looking to buy a catamaran this year.
Good luck.

Raider Ronnie
11-10-2016, 02:07 PM
2 words
Ugggg
Lyyyyy

Poncho
11-12-2016, 04:51 PM
Keeper what model are you looking at? Ronnie you really think they are ugly? I really like the looks of them

Jim in CT
11-14-2016, 02:20 PM
I have a co-worker with a big World Cat center console, fishes great, rides great. I think these are comparable to GB's?

I always wondered why we don't see more catamarans up here.