View Full Version : Shimano Stella reel maintenance

fish raptor
11-03-2016, 11:14 PM
I have owned the Stella 10000 for a few years now and love it. At Cutty this summer she did momentarily take a quick dip. So I though because it is has gone through three seasons and the "Cutty dip" it would be a good idea to have a full cleaning and inspection. I don't know if this is something I should attempt myself or just have a professional opinion it. I would be looking for someone who would be very "intimate" with the Stella.

Can anyone recommend an expert?

tysdad115
11-04-2016, 07:52 AM
Send it to Shimano in CA, they will take care of it.

Gloucester2
11-04-2016, 09:57 AM
Send it to Shimano. The turnaround is fast. I had the 20000 and the 10000 and sent in the 10000 after I bent the bail arm - they fixed it up and sent in back better than new. There is a form available on their website to include when you mail in it.

zimmy
11-04-2016, 01:02 PM
Agree. send it to shimano. Last time I sent mine it came back with new main drive and pinion gears, clean and lube for about $30. Same deal from daiwa for my saltiga cost me about $250.

Got Stripers
11-04-2016, 03:12 PM
Agree $25 for a yearly cleaning and replacement of parts is well worth it and why I'm a big Shimano fan. Occassionally I send old stuff back they no longer support with parts, but otherwise they are really good.

numbskull
11-04-2016, 05:36 PM
As above, the stella is covered by shimano's platnium service. This means that basically for the cost of return postage both they will perform extensive service on the reel for no additional charge. They tend to replace all sorts of expensive parts although my experience is that this does not typically include seals (since my SW5000 has experienced water damage twice).

fish raptor
11-04-2016, 05:43 PM
As above, the stella is covered by shimano's platnium service. This means that basically for the cost of return postage both they will perform extensive service on the reel for no additional charge. They tend to replace all sorts of expensive parts although my experience is that this does not typically include seals (since my SW5000 has experienced water damage twice).

Well it looks like the vote is unanimous.... sending it back to Shimano.
I'm confused about numbskull's post stating "Shimano's Platnium Service" ??

A big thanks to Numbskull, Got Stripers, Zimmy, Gloucester2 and Tysdad115.

Like I said, I love that reel, however it aint never going back to Cutty.
Were going to get another for that....

tysdad115
11-04-2016, 08:46 PM
Platinum service means you only pay the minimum no matter what it needs. I've ha the gears and bearings replaced 4 times on mine. Charge is 20 or 25 dollars..
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

fish raptor
11-04-2016, 09:51 PM
Platinum service means you only pay the minimum no matter what it needs. I've ha the gears and bearings replaced 4 times on mine. Charge is 20 or 25 dollars..

Was this "Platinum Service" and optional warrantee I could have purchased when i bought the Stella or is a "given" on any Stella that is purchased ?

Sounds too good to be true but if it is....:happy::happy:

tysdad115
11-04-2016, 10:15 PM
Comes with the reel my friend. You got the flagship reel, it comes with Platinum service. Send it out, you'll be fine.

tysdad115
11-04-2016, 10:24 PM
I go here http://fish.shimano.com/content/sac-fish/en/home/customer-service/service-centre1.html

Download the service/warranty request form and send it to Irvine , CA Always fast service. I had a few minor issues in 5 years..they didn't replace my grinding line roller once, and once my bail screw was left loose. But I check it over when I get it back. Overall I'm happy with their service, and I beat my gear up.. the Stella is not meant to be dunked, trust me!

numbskull
11-06-2016, 08:22 PM
the Stella is not meant to be dunked, trust me!

THIS.....Amen.

When the reel first came out there was a whole lot of internet misinformation that the stella was every bit as well sealed as a VS or ZB. It was wrong. Shimano was clear when I asked them that the reel was not meant to be submergible and my experience backs that up. I have had my 5000sw fail abruptly (i.e., nearly seize up) twice because of water intrusion from momentary dunking or repeated splash exposure (yeah I'd not expect a reel to fail suddenly from water intrusion but what I think happens is that the tolerances inside a stella are so close that salt crystals form and jam the main gear). I quit using it in conditions where this is likely to recur and reluctantly switched to a VS150 instead. That said, the stella is still my favorite spinning reel to fish and the nicest reel I've ever used.

Swimmer
11-07-2016, 08:55 AM
Shimano service is awesome. My sustains were taken care of twice. Now the ones I have are not serviced anymore, because they are not made anymore. However, I have a dear friend who is a gifted engineer that decided to start repairing reels, here in Mass, and does an absolutely perfect job.