View Full Version : Bald Eagle Sighting

Got Stripers
11-11-2016, 08:02 PM
For the second time this year I've spooked a bald eagle perched in a large pine tree on Altantic Country Club in southern Plymouth were I play golf. I loved watching them years back when up in northern Maine fishing for smallmouth bass, but to see one this spring and again today locally is pretty cool. I think years back there was a pair nesting in Lakeville on Assumett Pond, so I'm not sure if they are from that area, but that is 3 sightings I've had in Plymouth in the past two years. Two years ago there was an eagle working the salt pond behind white horse beach in late fall and I had it fly across the road in front of my truck one morning on the way to work, such a beautiful bird.

In The Surf
11-11-2016, 08:22 PM
I was thinking of posting a bald eagle sighting myself. Nearly 45 years since my first sighting of a wild bald eagle, I was just a kid then. Both occurred in my hometown of Coventry, RI. So cool and so unmistakable. It was circling less than a hundred yards up. I could clearly see the white head and tail feathers. Such a majestic sight and so fitting on veterans days. Made my day.

Rockfish9
11-12-2016, 06:12 AM
Pretty cool birds... since their resurgence they make the Merrimack river their winter home...not uncommon to see a half dozen juvenile or lone mature adult riding the ice flows down the river...or perched in a giant tree watching the land scape.

Most of the major lakes in New Hampshire have at least one breeding pair.. I fish Lake Wentworth all winter up there... the Eagles watch the fisherman and will "steal" fish that are unattended to when they make their rounds... when I see them watching I leave them pickerel.. which seems to be one of their favorites... last February during the rotary derby one cost me a first place finish in the pickerel division with a theft while I was picking up for the weigh in... one swooped down and snatched the still kicking fish I estimated @ 5+ lbs since the one I weighed in was 4.75 and considerably thinner and about 1# shorter...the winner was 4.79....the fish cost me $250 ( I got $250.. winner got $500) .. small price to pay for such a regal bird and the enjoyment I get from watching them on those slow cold days in mid winter...

Guppy
11-12-2016, 07:18 AM
Sons back yard Attleborro Oct. 30

fishgolf
11-12-2016, 09:52 AM
Yup. Nest on Rte 1 in Wakefield, RI.
Used to see them circling around the Country Club of Greenfield which is near the Ct. River years ago. Saw one in Milton, Ma last winter while traveling north and one in Brunswick, Me on the same trip.

bobber
11-13-2016, 10:53 PM
seen them sporadically in my town.... and with some regularity when fishing rivers that flow into the Sound.

its great to have them back in the environment

Dick Durand
11-15-2016, 02:39 PM
Used to see them circling around the Country Club of Greenfield which is near the Ct. River years ago. Saw one in Milton, Ma last winter while traveling north and one in Brunswick, Me on the same trip.

I saw that one perched on the osprey platform attracting some attention.

roym
11-16-2016, 05:02 PM
Saw one this morning around 8:30 flying over intersection of Hammond and School Streets in Waltham as I was stopped at lights. Very impressive!

Got Stripers
01-01-2017, 09:32 PM
Played an early golf round in Falmouth, so I could get back to watch the Pats kick Miami's butt and had a pair of juvenile bald eagles right over my head for about 5 minutes on the 9th hole at Cape Cod Country Club. They were still there when I finished up, so I assume it was a young pair maybe out of the same nest working their way south. That is three eagle sightings and all very close ones, all on the golf course. See Clammer, the game does have benifits:).

jettyjockey18
01-02-2017, 12:47 PM
my 16 yr old son saw one in Taunton recently, i was a bit skeptical at first but he was pretty adamant that it was an eagle...after reading about the other sightings in this thread it looks like people are seeing them all over now...

Got Stripers
01-02-2017, 02:21 PM
Third sighting this year for me and since all were on golf courses, I guess you can say I had three eagles on the links this year:).

BigBo
01-02-2017, 02:29 PM
There are a couple pairs around the Hanson/Halifax area. Been seeing them for the last three years or so. A couple around Oldham Pond at my daughters house in Hanson, and another pair over at Monponsett in Halifax.

bart
01-02-2017, 03:27 PM
I stayed on Santuit Pond in Mashpee for a week recently. Had one fly right by me at eye level while I was drinking coffee on the deck. I've seen them twice before that, but never that close. Pretty wild.

I look for them perched in trees over frozen bodies of water this time of year...
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

chefchris401
01-02-2017, 04:04 PM
There's two nesting pairs right in rumford ri that live at the country club near the 12th green, they've been coming back every year for the last 5-6 years

BigBo
01-02-2017, 05:17 PM
When ice fishing in the locations I mentioned, we usually throw a couple of perch out on the ice for them to feed on. :uhuh:

MakoMike
01-02-2017, 05:30 PM

Where? Never seen it.

fishgolf
01-03-2017, 08:50 PM
Someone mentioned it was an Osprey nest at the sharp turn in Narragansett. Have been by a few or times and haven't seen it. Maybe it was resting...

Nebe
01-03-2017, 09:33 PM
Where? Never seen it.

Behind stop and shop