View Full Version : who's done??

bobber
11-12-2016, 01:48 PM
I told myself I'm finished for the year after last night.... fished in howling winds for 1 gut-hooked schoolie (that I felt bad about injuring)....

that's all I've been seeing for the last week, so maybe its time to hang it up for the year......?

Rmarsh
11-12-2016, 01:59 PM
I thought that last saturday would be it...but I caught a few nice fish so i am going back out tonight.
http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=63546&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1478694074

BigBo
11-12-2016, 02:12 PM
Done. All maintenance complete and everything tucked away. Fresh water gear still on duty and I fired up the ice auger today. I'll be putting some new line on a couple tip ups. :uhuh:

nightfighter
11-12-2016, 03:04 PM
I was done the second week of September.... I just did not realize it. I did haul the boat out two weeks ago. Still have to winterize and cover. Just slammed with work. Time to head back into the shop......

RIROCKHOUND
11-12-2016, 03:48 PM
Nope. Blackfish tomorrow. Done after Thanksgiving....
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

spinncognito
11-12-2016, 03:52 PM
Still fishing on the North shore. Schoolies from a Rkpt beach yesterday, did not get out today but will be back out the next two days before the super moon/king tides combine with a coastal storm. Will likely try for smelt after that passes.

Guppy
11-12-2016, 05:00 PM
Still a ways to go for me, weather permitting another tog trip would be nice and need the boat to rake once a week....

Clammer
11-12-2016, 05:06 PM
NOPE ........ small b ut a nice shot of activity the last two days ...different places ><><

ProfessorM
11-12-2016, 06:09 PM
George says he's not done yet so if takes me I will go. If not I am pretty much done.

redlite
11-12-2016, 06:15 PM
If i was any of youse id keep at it
From my circle the word is there are still good numbers of good size fish in lots of places
Unfortunately for me i got placed on the PUP list a month ago with a spinal fracture.
The mental anguish for someone that eats, sleeps, and poops striped bass fishin to miss this fall after such a good year has far exceeded the physical pain
Hopefully get all the gear cleaned soon as it wasnt ready to be put away
Keep at it gents. This is supa cow season

ProfessorM
11-12-2016, 06:39 PM
Damn just when I was ready to be done I read a post like this. Thanks Mikey. Heal up.

bobber
11-12-2016, 06:46 PM
the pattern has been dinks and more dinks for a week or more- that is the portend to the end of the season. There always seems to be "I heard there more fish up north" reports at this time of year... and I will certainly be open to suggestions if fish seem to re-appear.

otherwise, its just not worth the effort and aggravation with da' wife.................

Rmarsh
11-12-2016, 09:00 PM
Was a little chilly out there but I did manage to catch a single 28" fish tonight. Not done yet..still beats sitting home waiting for winter.
When you have been married almost forty years like i have your wife will be glad to get you out of the house for a few hours.:rollem:

Get well soon Mike

piemma
11-13-2016, 07:31 AM
No, still at it. I had some decent fish this past week but I am now in stealth mode!:hidin:

Got Stripers
11-13-2016, 08:24 AM
Will hit some hold over spots later in the month, but I'm taking a break from fishing, but hoping for one or two more outings before the ice sets up.

Clammer
11-13-2016, 08:26 AM
Bob they gotta be there ..... I got a mess yesterday heading into a holdover location ><><.

fishgolf
11-13-2016, 02:49 PM
sigh...

ivanputski
11-13-2016, 10:01 PM
When I was a very young boy, i begged my father to take me fishing on the rocks with him at night, insisting i had what it takes. The answer was always "no… you're not ready" He FINALLY agreed one night…
I was pumped, but as we were prepping, I started asking all sorts of questions like "is it gonna be cold?" do you stay ALL night? Do your feet get uncomf…."

He sharply turns with a stern look and voice and says (in a heavy Polish accent): "LOOK… forget about comfort!!! If you want comfort, stay on the couch and watch tv, ok!?? (His voice suddenly goes soft, calm, yet serious as he leans in close to my face and says) "but if you want catch BIG FISH……. then you come with me".

From that day on, I will always remember that to be successful in this pursuit,
you have to "forget about comfort"…

So no… I'm not done for the season just yet. thanks dad.

Rmarsh
11-14-2016, 07:18 AM
When I was a very young boy, i begged my father to take me fishing on the rocks with him at night, insisting i had what it takes. The answer was always "no… you're not ready" He FINALLY agreed one night…
I was pumped, but as we were prepping, I started asking all sorts of questions like "is it gonna be cold?" do you stay ALL night? Do your feet get uncomf…."

He sharply turns with a stern look and voice and says (in a heavy Polish accent): "LOOK… forget about comfort!!! If you want comfort, stay on the couch and watch tv, ok!?? (His voice suddenly goes soft, calm, yet serious as he leans in close to my face and says) "but if you want catch BIG FISH……. then you come with me".

Thats a great story. I love how you ended it with "Thanks Dad"
It is amazing how we as grown men always remember the influence our dads had on our development.
Hope you catch a great big one before the season ends.

Guppy
11-14-2016, 07:18 AM

Wow, you just sparked some great memories , thanks , great read

Rockfish9
11-14-2016, 07:20 AM
Called it a season the first week of October...when I was younger I'd fish until Thanksgiving.. then fish codfish until ice flows made the river unsafe.. I never winterized the boat.... now I'm only willing to wade through so many schoolies for a decent fish... we cant fish cod in the fall/ winter anymore.. even if there were a few inshore... I bring the boat home 1st or second week of October.. winterize it and cover it when I still can feel my fingers and can do the job in a tee shirt...

chefchris401
11-14-2016, 08:50 AM
Not yet.

Still lots of fish around even way up in the bay.

Been taking some decent fish 32-36" and the occasional 20lb fish off the beaches mostly on big surface metal lips or a big Lemires spook worked every slow and steady.

Insane amounts of tiny fish 10"-18" fish everywhere, in every area I've been.

No signs of bait for the most part.

Some small bunker pods here and there

Still hoping for a sea herring run and fishing into December

piemma
11-14-2016, 09:48 AM
Not yet.

Still lots of fish around even way up in the bay.

Been taking some decent fish 32-36" and the occasional 20lb fish off the beaches mostly on big surface metal lips or a big Lemires spook worked every slow and steady.

Insane amounts of tiny fish 10"-18" fish everywhere, in every area I've been.

No signs of bait for the most part.

Some small bunker pods here and there

Still hoping for a sea herring run and fishing into December

Ya, I'm fishing the beaches with one of my own White Dannys. Work real slow and they have been slamming it. I almost think they are on squid as the only colors that has worked consistently is White and Pink.

Clammer
11-14-2016, 11:29 AM
CC 401 where you fishing CC beach saturday with another guy throwing huge white spooks. or whatever else they called .......... ???

Tide & wind flipped so I made a move .good more but small but not twinkies ><><><

SAUERKRAUT
11-16-2016, 12:24 AM
Not done. All niter eeling produced one 14-2 fish in MA. three nights ago. So now I have turned my attention to the commuter run to SoCo. Three dinks yesterday; but I was in the running...

bloocrab
11-16-2016, 03:01 PM
:hs:..................not me.

Clammer
11-16-2016, 04:45 PM
ME EITHER >>

Got Stripers
11-16-2016, 06:09 PM
Bob they gotta be there ..... I got a mess yesterday heading into a holdover location ><><.

Yup they were there, in a quick two hour scouting trip, it was a quick 40 schoolies; thankfully I brought my light action spinning rod. It was sort of a pain to peddle around all the dredging barges and floats, but it was worth it once I got up inside.

Clammer
11-16-2016, 08:40 PM
:af:ya Bob .got the photos but too small on my flip phone .

we are heading to S/C tomorrow .conditions should be right .someplace ><><

don, think I have time to get the tin rig ready to go that way this year

Got Stripers
11-17-2016, 08:20 AM
:af:ya Bob .got the photos but too small on my flip phone .

we are heading to S/C tomorrow .conditions should be right .someplace ><><

don, think I have time to get the tin rig ready to go that way this year

Just make sure you bring light gear, these are 12-16" fish, but on the right gear they are fun. I need to hook up some day you plan to go, you can tow my kayak and save me all that paddling:) to the prime spot.

Clammer
11-17-2016, 04:41 PM
yeah the fish today were bigger than those . no dinks ................................#^&#^&#^&#^&in seal the head was so big it looked like a dolphin <><><

Moses
11-17-2016, 05:05 PM
Last boating trip was this past weekend and not very enjoyable. All cleaned, emptied and dropped off this morning for winterization & shrink wrap.

My brother & I are seriously considering driving down to southern jersey in the next week or two for a 2 day fishing session to end the sw season.

Been hitting the fw ponds with my son and he finally caught his first rainbow trout, although my first still evades me.

RickBomba
11-17-2016, 07:07 PM
Boat is away, rods all stowed, and gear hung up for the 2016 season.

I've already test started the auger and started running through my tip ups. Ice will be here before you know it (I hope).

See you guys at Rick's in December!

RickBomba
11-17-2016, 07:09 PM
If i was any of youse id keep at it
From my circle the word is there are still good numbers of good size fish in lots of places
Unfortunately for me i got placed on the PUP list a month ago with a spinal fracture.
The mental anguish for someone that eats, sleeps, and poops striped bass fishin to miss this fall after such a good year has far exceeded the physical pain
Hopefully get all the gear cleaned soon as it wasnt ready to be put away
Keep at it gents. This is supa cow season

Ugh, the fracture is hard to come back from; they going to cut you and fuse it?

Let me know if you need anything (or advice). I'm just about 75% of what I used to be. Not sure if it will get any better at this point.

Keep your head up, Mike!
Love,
Rick