View Full Version : eelskin darter??

bobber
11-20-2016, 12:34 PM
I've got a bunch of nice eels to be skinned this winter, and have started to think about what to do with them.....

anyone ever put one on a darter?? I'm not much of a darter guy, but am curious if this would be a good choice.... especially the new Big Yo-Zuri

anyone??

chefchris401
11-20-2016, 02:27 PM
Yup ss darter works well with a skin
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

patabate
11-20-2016, 03:46 PM
Chris,
How do you tie on the skin to a SS darter?

ProfessorM
11-20-2016, 03:59 PM
I made em. work decent. I put the ring in the plug behind the slope and paint the plug to mimic an eel either inside out or outside out. Conrad Jr. is better for them but you need some depth of water to fish them.

ivanputski
11-21-2016, 01:20 PM
I have used skin darters with great results.

Just cut a small groove with a hacksaw blade just AFTER the slope ends.
Do not cover the front angled slope. so only 2/3 of the plug will be covered.
I painted the front 1/3 of the bare plug light blue.

ProfessorM
11-21-2016, 02:35 PM
Yup.

Linesider82
11-21-2016, 10:55 PM
http://www.connecticutsurfcasters.com/news/2016/7/17/eel-skin-plugs-minimal-tools

Pic of skin darter in the link, the one thing I should edit is to use 3 or 4 TA clips linked together as the tail trailer, their smooth sides don't mess up the skin.

Thanks to Pete for the idea, he knows things

Linesider82
11-22-2016, 01:53 AM
naturally the site is down, I wish I could post a pic from a screen shot, it's kinda funny because a major company probably got taken out by another major company. John I give you credit, for dealing with the online (cyber) attacks

ivanputski
11-22-2016, 11:51 AM
matt, your write up is so informative and impressive. thanks for sharing.

I always avoided eelskin plugs because i thought they be a pain to make, but they are easier to make than rigged eels.

Redsoxticket
11-22-2016, 01:53 PM
How long is the trailer relative to the eel from the tail loop in % and where on the trailer do you tie off the skin to the trailer.
If I read correctly the tie off is an option but what scenario would it be most recommended.

ProfessorM
11-22-2016, 07:53 PM
I like around 3" off the end of all my eelskin plugs but that is just my preference.

Linesider82
11-23-2016, 10:24 PM
I try to go with length as a function of where I plan to fish it. They certainly cut down on cast distance. This is the first year I secured the tail to the trailer via a square knot, and I'm liking that decision too. I have a few tubes set on the bottom door of the freezer to keep them fresh.

others that are not in current rotation are in a full kosher salt container, laid flat.