View Full Version : Drill press input please.

nightfighter
11-23-2016, 06:56 PM
Have been using a bench top Craftsman 1/2 HP model for long time, but am limited by the lack of power. 7/8 spade bit is its upper limit before it stalls.
What do you have? What do you like? HP? I will look at floor models too.Thanks.

ProfessorM
11-23-2016, 08:50 PM
I got a nice old floor model Delta on Craigslist few years ago. Paid 125. A real steal. Super mint and I spruced it up and made some great fixtures. I would look for one of those or spend mucho bucks and buy a Jet or delta but the old ones are even better than those new ones.

Nebe
11-23-2016, 09:52 PM
I have a Rigid floor press that I bought at the home cheapot and absolutely love it. I use for drilling glass with a water feed and if there is one thing you need a perfect drill for, it is drilling glass. (Lamp shade holes).
I've drilled through 3" of steel before with no issues.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

blondterror
11-23-2016, 10:02 PM
I have a 1950s era Atlas floor drill press with 1HP motor and 3 pulleys but generally leave it at the slowest speed. I love old iron. Walker Turner, Delta, and Powermatic made some great floor model machines. I like the older stuff made in the USA

chefchris401
11-24-2016, 09:08 AM
I'm in the market for floor model myself

I a table top one now, Larry donated to me, skillz maybe (red) thing works great, I've drilled some 2" thick boards for projects and use it for all my plug stuff
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Slipknot
11-24-2016, 09:21 AM
get a floor model
worth it
like Paul said, try craigslist you might find a deal

stripermaineiac
11-24-2016, 09:40 AM
Jet an Delta make some nice floor models Ross. Just watch the throw adjustments on them. Some of the newer ones all but need to be glued to keep them from moving out of adjustment. 5/8 models will do what you want . Craigs list is the place to shop. Loads of stuff up this way at good prices.

blondterror
11-25-2016, 10:18 PM
There is a used machine tool place in Pawtucket that has several used floor model drill presses in stock.. Go to Craigs List and seach in tool section used drill press.

blondterror
11-25-2016, 10:22 PM
here is one of several listings by this guy in Pawtucket

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/tls/5880850864.html