View Full Version : Starting to dislike how much the high school football games/players....

FishermanTim
11-25-2016, 06:30 PM
are beginning to act just like the pro teams.

When a championship caliber team decides to sit out their top players during the Thanksgiving rivalry game so that they will be "fresh" for next weeks game, that just sucks!

For those that don't know, Duxbury (who is in their division superbowl game next week) sat their star players against Marshfield yesterday. Needless to say Marshfield wiped the field with the team that was playing, but it cheapens the whole "Thanksgiving rivalry" game by doing what they did.

Duxbury was the only team that did this.

As quoted in the media (from other teams across the league) the only players that didn't play their respective games were those physically unable to do so!

All I can say is I hope that Duxbury doesn't get their heads handed to them in their game, or they'll never be able to live it down!

tysdad115
11-25-2016, 06:41 PM
Duxbury sat a few starters against Pembroke too. Not that they needed them but they just didn't play them.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

nightfighter
11-25-2016, 08:11 PM
MIAA is to blame for this to have even been considered. No way a playoff game on a weekend before a Thanksgiving game should have been scheduled. That said, I am with you Tim on this one. I have compared the schedules of Duxbury and Marblehead. Our town team is 11-0 and headed to Gillette on the 3rd as well. But they did not have a game this past weekend. Duxbury played a tough Beverly team we had beaten earlier this year. No players were held out of yesterday's game here, I can assure you. Duxbury, according to Patriot Ledger story, had 25 starters on the sidelines in sweats yesterday! Twenty five! That is absurd. Especially of a team that is ranked #1 statewide by MaxPreps. I was on a high school SuperBowl winning team, the very first one, in 1972. No way I can see a player wanting to sit out a Thanksgiving game. More memories of those games and the guys we played against (ironically Marblehead) than of the SuperBowl game. Don't get me wrong, it was great, but no way it can match the rivalry or relationships these many years later.

the score of that Duxbury Marshfield game was 53-0...... Marshfield.

Raider Ronnie
11-25-2016, 09:43 PM
Is Duxbury in D1 ?

BigBo
11-26-2016, 06:50 AM
Is Duxbury in D1 ?

No, they are D2

Raider Ronnie
11-26-2016, 09:28 AM
No, they are D2

We (King Philip) played our starters against Franklin 1st half into 3rd qtr and we had thanksgiving game well in hand then pulled starters. Final score was 44-7
We play Reading Saturday night at Gillette for the D1a.
Looking forward to it. :-)

The Dad Fisherman
11-26-2016, 11:19 AM
Greatest win in the state from my old Alma Mater yesterday :hee:

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=18131645

FishermanTim
11-27-2016, 08:30 PM
Duxbury seniors won't be able to brag about their last Thanksgiving Day game, except to say that their team got their butts whooped by their rival once again.

There won't be an asterisk net to the game stats explaining that the starters didn't play, so any explanation would sound like a lame excuse for a sound thrashing defeat!

boot man
11-28-2016, 06:01 PM
Sad part is the kids likely had nothing to do with it.
That being said, the MIAA has got to be considered when it comes awarding the most inept organizations ever.

boot man
11-28-2016, 06:14 PM
Sad part is the kids likely had nothing to do with it.
That being said, the MIAA has got to be considered when it comes awarding the most inept organizations ever.

fishsmith
12-01-2016, 12:57 PM
All MIAA's fault, do you want to win Thanksgiving or the SuperBowl? Not a popular choice but understandable.

FishermanTim
12-02-2016, 12:22 PM
We'll know if Duxbury's choice works out tomorrow when they play their "big game".

I plan on watching as many as I can, but a family function will definitely cut into that.

tysdad115
12-02-2016, 09:01 PM
Good luck to all local schools tomorrow. Should be a great day to watch high school football. Hoping Pembroke gets somewhere in the next few years.

FishermanTim
12-05-2016, 11:26 AM
The only downer from Saturday's games were that there were too many blowouts.
If your team won, that's great, but for me I'd rather want a close game decided by a single score.

We know that many of these teams will be back again next year, and others that didn't make it may find themselves in the mix as well!

Great job by all the teams and thanks for a great season!