View Full Version : romoving reel seats

basserjohn
08-09-2003, 01:56 PM
Hello
Im a new user and have been reading your for a few weeks now. For a person who cant get out and fish much its a great way to live, learn and fish through others. Now I was hoping someone out there can help me or lend some advice. On my off time I buy used surf casting rods and strip the guides and practice my wrapping skills, but I have never removed and old reel seat and cork handle. Before I attempt this: Is this possible? Is there a technique or trick? Should I just forget it?

Thanks for the help

Got Stripers
08-09-2003, 07:25 PM
It's possible, but a lot of work, especially if your only doing it for practicing your wrapping techniques. For that you can use crap blanks, seconds, broken blanks or look online for closeouts and deals. Unless you really need to change something on that rod, I'd say it's not worth the time.

Having said that, I've change spinners to casting and the other way around, as sometimes I don't like the way a blank fishes as one; yet it turns out sweet as the other. All kinds of ways to go about it, but the key is to be careful not to damage the blank. You also don't have to get right down the blank either, just as close as you can and as smooth as you can.

Good luck.

basserjohn
08-10-2003, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the heads up. Worked on it last night. Got everything off. Stubborn I guess.