View Full Version : Had to share

nightfighter
12-01-2016, 07:05 PM
https://www.facebook.com/sitesALIVE/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE&fref=nf

Rich is from Marblehead and has many school groups tuned in as part of their lesson plans. Today's footage is pretty awesome. I just cant imagine going that long with no meaningful sleep.....

Sea Dangles
12-01-2016, 08:51 PM
Wow Ross, first political forum and now a fb link

Cool trip
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

redlite
12-01-2016, 09:08 PM
I dont do the fb thing may have to jack- hi the wifeys to check out.
I did a huge sh!trock job for an interestin fellow here in town last winter. He used to be a world renowned sailboat builder and solo global sail boat racer. He showed me a picture of his last boat that was sponsered by godiva chocolate. It was an airial photo of one of those mega supa tankers next to his capsized sailboat after he had been adrift on it for somethin like 3 weeks. Felt he cheated death and threw in the towel.

nightfighter
12-01-2016, 10:01 PM
Slow down... It's a public FB page, so it can be viewed without being signed up or into an account....

beamie
12-01-2016, 10:11 PM
Whoa, can't imagine going 23-24kts on a sailboat. Hauling a$$ for sure. Boat looks like a monohull too, not a cat. Very cool.

PaulS
12-01-2016, 10:14 PM
Wow Ross, first political forum and now a fb link

Cool trip

😄

Nebe
12-01-2016, 10:45 PM
I grew up around single handed sailors here in Newport. My step dad was always on the inspection committee for the BOC round the world race and I even worked on a few boats as a kid rebuilding winches and other menial tasks. Due to that I have always had a very strong urge to buy a boat and just take off to somewhere exotic but holy crap it takes a lot of money. These boats have come a long way since the first single handed races. I think of the first OSTAR teams Atlantic races where people would sail to Newport from England in the craziest piece of #^&#^&#^&#^& boats... but they did it. No gps... just a sextant and a lot of rum.

JohnR
12-02-2016, 10:10 AM
I grew up around single handed sailors here in Newport. My step dad was always on the inspection committee for the BOC round the world race and I even worked on a few boats as a kid rebuilding winches and other menial tasks. Due to that I have always had a very strong urge to buy a boat and just take off to somewhere exotic but holy crap it takes a lot of money. These boats have come a long way since the first single handed races. I think of the first OSTAR teams Atlantic races where people would sail to Newport from England in the craziest piece of #^&#^&#^&#^& boats... but they did it. No gps... just a sextant and a lot of rum.

Yep. But.

I Choose Life

Nebe
12-02-2016, 10:49 AM
I sense JohnR is cranky today.

Got Stripers
12-02-2016, 04:35 PM
I had my share of true balls adventure and close calls at sea on two sailboat crew jobs I worked out of Ft Lauderdale after college. When the waves match the length of your boat and you can't sleep for 36 hours or more, as much as you love the sea and the adrenaline rush; you wish you were back on shore enjoying a cold beer. Then there are those quiet nights with steady trade winds, sails and tiller trimmed so the boat sails itself, stars you rarely see onshore, while you sit on the bow watching dolphins play in your bow wake; those are the nights i miss the most. I have to say if a powerball winner came my way, I'd be back at sea in a heartbeat, in a custom sailboat and all the new tech toys; better happen quick unless they have a wheelchair ramp on each port of call.