View Full Version : The work continues

Christian
08-10-2003, 08:32 AM
Christian and I pulled the powerhead yesterday. What a job! There were ten studs with nuts holding the powerhead on. Nine let go pretty easily but the tenth was another story. We were using a boom truck to pick up the head. That one stud was stuck firmly enough to lift the boat off the trailer. Eventually, with enough pounding and prying we got it moving a little. All of a sudden it let go and there was enough tension and stretch in the line to catapult it about 12 feet into the air. Luckily the lift line held and it didn't hit anything or anyone. When it let go both Christian and I hit the dirt. I can't remember jumping that far or that fast in a long time. Found myself under another boat about 10 feet away.

Right now it's outside letting some of the gas fumes evaporate before I bring it into the cellar. I'll start on it tonight. Hope when I open it up it doesn't look too bad.

Repirts (Steve)

Christian
08-14-2003, 08:13 PM
Removed heads and exhaust cover. One cylinder has some minor scoring. Pistons look good when you look through exhaust port.

Flipped the engine over tonight. I'm going to try to remove the carbs as a unit so that I'll have less to do when I put it back together. While i was staring at it, trying to figure out the best way to do it, I notice that the line from the oil pump to the fuel inlet was only barely attached. It fell off as soon as i touched it. I'm glad it came off now not when it was running!

A little progress ever night.

Repirts (Steve)

Christian
08-17-2003, 05:41 PM
Started working on the bottom part of the engine. Took off reed block housing. Reeds etc look as good as new. Nothing obvious wrong but I'll go ahead and open the crankcase and have a look. Something WAS wrong when it ran last time.

Repirts (Steve)