View Full Version : Bob Hahn Wood?

chefchris401
12-20-2016, 11:14 PM
Got a request to replicate a bob Hahn atom jr hybrid plug from a buddy in NJ

Looks like an atom jr, has Two belly hooks, which marry, small surfster lip mounted 1/3 of the way down from the head and had no belly or tail weights. It's 5" long

Looks like red cedar but can't really tell seeing the plug has been fished hard and repainted a few times

Anyone know what he used for wood ?

I'll upload a pic later, cool little plug that looks like a small mullet

pbadad
12-21-2016, 05:35 AM
My guess is white pine.

ed morini
12-21-2016, 06:32 AM
I would agree with Billy, but several of my other pugs, surfsters mostly are white cedar. I read read somewhere, but can't source it, that wc was his choice. With the specific gravity being so close between the two woods, I think white pine would be acceptable.

Ed

numbskull
12-21-2016, 10:01 AM
Here is some Hahn stuff I have/used.

I can see the wood where the paint has peeled and in the tearout of his hook holes and I think white cedar is a good bet.......the cheap new growth stuff rather than the special tight grained old growth stuff CCBC and Bob Pond used.

He used spinner blades to make his lips (Salty sells these already bent).

His plugs where notoriously poorly built. Not sealed, no grommets, steel rather than stainless wires, thick epoxy which peeled quickly.
They did, however, fish well and Hahn also was inventive with his colorings. Dave Peros and a friend swore buy Hahn's medium surface swimmer in brown back, silver sides, and yellow belly, for example.

If anyone wants to borrow any of this stuff give a shout.

numbskull
12-21-2016, 10:15 AM
Here is a shot of the little Hahn "atom" I have which is 4.5" and a little Hahn "pikie" which is 5".

Both have lips on midline and small weights 2 and 2 1/8" from the nose.

numbskull
12-21-2016, 11:03 AM
On the subject of small plugs, Chris (or anyone else interested in building some little stuff), this thread from years back has dimensions on a small surface swimmer I build that works well.

http://striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=55067&highlight=constructive

The plug as described tends to run a bit subsurface which your friend might like. You can switch the lip to a high slot to get something small that goes deep, or back down on the weighting to get something that stays right on top.

Paul also makes a copy of a little Pichney (the lime green plug in the picture). This stays right on top and fishes great. Recently I came across an original but different version of the Pichney plug Paul copied. It is 1/2 " longer and a smaller lip (the one in the picture is missing its second belly hook). I think I saw a picture of a similar Pichney original that only had one belly hook over on SOL.

These little plugs are fun to fish and surprisingly effective on bigger fish. I've caught plenty of fish in the mid to high #20 class with them. Considering the upcoming 2011 year class it is worth building a few.