View Full Version : Wetsuit hell

Zeal
12-30-2016, 08:49 PM
Happy holidays everyone!

Having a hell of a time trying to find a wetsuit that I'll be using during the Spring and Fall while kayaking.

What I could gather is that I would take a Farmer John 5mm wetsuit that's a 2 piece.

On a budget and knowing our water temps, can anyone help me out here? Any other recommendations other than it being smooth rubber?

I think the hooded ones would be nice and not the cut off sleeves either that I see all over now. I'd rather be more restricted and safe than take cold water to the arms causing problems.

I'd also probably wade in them

chefchris401
12-30-2016, 10:52 PM
NRS farmer John in 3 mil or aquasport farmer John in 5 mil for a suit

Then for a top, you can run a windbreaker in the summer, warmer tops in the spring and fall, hood, no hood, etc, tops are endless
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

chefchris401
12-30-2016, 10:53 PM
I'm a big dude (insulted with fat) I use my 5 mil in April/may and then October/November, rest of the time I run a 3 mil

stripermaineiac
12-31-2016, 06:57 AM
gIVE THE wETSUIT WAREHOUSE A CALL. great HELP AND GOOD PRICES.

puppet
12-31-2016, 09:53 AM
I have not kayaked the northeast, so it might be good to ping guys who have....but these are my thoughts....take them with a grain of salt.

1. I agree with ChefChris' suggestion. Think Layers.
2. For the past several seasons surfcasting, I have been using the farmer john front zips. When nature calls, there is nothing as nice to have that feature. Pealing off all the layers to do the same....just is the worst in cold conditions.

The reason for layers is to regulate your heat for the activity. Even with surfcasting, the hiking will quickly raise my heat level in the spring/fall. To be able to quickly change the insulation you have on your core, can help you be more comfortable. Kayaking is much more strenuous on the core than hiking or surfcasting. I would imagine that layering would have its benefits.

I sort of feel the farmer john is the most economical and versatile wetsuit form for the layering approach. When I surfcast a 3mm...can be even worn in the summer...as well as fall. I layer in different tops and jackets to warm my core. In summer I pair a 1.5mm top with the 3mm farmer john. Late fall. I layer an underarmor cold gear top, the 1.5mm top, and a stormr jacket. Total insulation is about 7mm on my core.

In addition to neoprene, you will also need to think about a wind breaker to reduce evaporative cooling. For this you really need to see what other kayakers do. Splash tops and pants????

I hope it helps.

Happy holidays everyone!

Having a hell of a time trying to find a wetsuit that I'll be using during the Spring and Fall while kayaking.

What I could gather is that I would take a Farmer John 5mm wetsuit that's a 2 piece.

On a budget and knowing our water temps, can anyone help me out here? Any other recommendations other than it being smooth rubber?

I think the hooded ones would be nice and not the cut off sleeves either that I see all over now. I'd rather be more restricted and safe than take cold water to the arms causing problems.

I'd also probably wade in them

Zeal
12-31-2016, 03:07 PM
Would this suffice?

https://www.wetsuitwearhouse.com/PROD/WATERMAN5.html#.WGgPq3pOnqA

Nebe
12-31-2016, 04:01 PM
Why a wetsuit? They keep you the warmest if there's water inside them. Why not a dry suit? Or just foul weather gear ?

Got Stripers
12-31-2016, 04:36 PM
When I was young and stupid, my brother-in-law and I fished out of canoes deep into the fall (until water froze) and right after ice out and we never even wore life jackets (yeah I said stupid didn't I). I'll do it now in my Hobie PA14, but since it's so damn stable, I won't bother with wet or dry suits. I'm in fleece and warm under garments and quality dry pants, top and 15" high neoprene boots and if the water is below 55, I will be wearing my life jacket. Neoprene waders or wet suits are so damn restrictive to movement, I'd rather layer up, put on the life jacket and fish small bodies of water or close to shore.

Clogston29
12-31-2016, 05:13 PM
I wouldn't recommend a wet suit for kayaking. They are not warm unless wet and in the water.

Zeal
12-31-2016, 06:45 PM
Why a wetsuit? They keep you the warmest if there's water inside them. Why not a dry suit? Or just foul weather gear ?

Dry suit is way too expensive and I have foul weather gear to cover the wetsuit but if I take a dunk, I'm not playing the odds with risk of hypothermia. I will have a PFD on me as well. This will be strictly cold water use and I like fishing in the rain also. Plenty of ratty clothes to put on to keep warm but not to keep me safe in the way a suit can

massbassman
01-01-2017, 10:44 AM
PM sent

RIROCKHOUND
01-01-2017, 02:47 PM
Dry suit is way too expensive and I have foul weather gear to cover the wetsuit but if I take a dunk, I'm not playing the odds with risk of hypothermia. I will have a PFD on me as well. This will be strictly cold water use and I like fishing in the rain also. Plenty of ratty clothes to put on to keep warm but not to keep me safe in the way a suit can

You can get a decent no frills drysuit from gill or similar for under 600 if you watch for sales. Dinghy racers where them... As do beach scientists in the winter 😉

bassballer
01-01-2017, 07:55 PM

Exactly, i never understood using wetsuit for kayaking or surfcasting unless you are getting in and swimming to rocks, or the skish nuts. For kayaking i would think a drysuit would be ideal.

As for MM, for surfing i use a 3mm from oct to december. 4/5mm with hood from jan to april and back to the 3mm.

Nebe
01-01-2017, 08:38 PM
Exactly, i never understood using wetsuit for kayaking or surfcasting unless you are getting in and swimming to rocks, or the skish nuts. For kayaking i would think a drysuit would be ideal.

As for MM, for surfing i use a 3mm from oct to december. 4/5mm with hood from jan to april and back to the 3mm.

Us Libra kids think alike. :)