View Full Version : 70 lb'er caught on Sunday

Team Rock On
08-11-2003, 03:27 PM
Here she is-----http://www.noreast.com/regionreports.cfm?Article_ID=1963

missing link
08-11-2003, 03:37 PM
Nice fish.. is that guys holding that thing or is it on a lift?

Mr. Sandman
08-11-2003, 03:57 PM
wire lined boat fish....but it is a MONSTER. I use to keep my boat at the "Gone fishin marina"...that place all fishin!
PS...it is not a 70..it is 69.15...close but no cigar.

capesams
08-11-2003, 08:30 PM
words going around about that fish in the pic......some say the fish was doctored into the pic, bad job at that say the guys who do it for a liveing......fixing pic's that is.

MakoMike
08-12-2003, 07:36 AM
I don't know about the pic. But I do know the place, I fished out of there for 20 years up until last season and I do know the guy. The pic looks legit to me and I know that the people that run Gone Fishing wouldn't lie about it. The guy who caught the fish keeps his boat there.

JohnR
08-12-2003, 07:41 AM
Fish is on a peg. But I'm not convinced that the picture is doctored. I blew it up and did some tweaking and I couldn't find much either way - not that I'm a PS expert.... Could very well be legit...

BigFish
08-12-2003, 10:40 AM
Pictures did not look real to me right off the bat. I didn't want to say anything at the time, but seeing some other people had the same thoughts kind of makes you wonder.:confused:

Mr. Sandman
08-12-2003, 10:45 AM
I agree with MakoMike, the Gone fishing Marina folks would never defaud anyone...A lot of 60's have been weighed in there.... Their digital scale is progably an IGFA cert. scale as well.

MakoMike
08-12-2003, 12:36 PM
Gone fishing has weighed lots of heavy bass over the years including Bobby Rochetta's (then) world record, which is still the 80 lb. record.

Alligator
08-12-2003, 01:19 PM
So what is the lady crying about?

striperswiper
08-12-2003, 01:45 PM
That pic looks real to me...if you notice all the shadows are in the right places and at the correct angles....IMO

NEXT2NUN
08-12-2003, 04:46 PM
Give the guy some credit, he caught it on a home made lure!!

Canalratt1
08-12-2003, 07:52 PM
Guy must be real strong to hold it up with a couple fingers!

BasicPatrick
08-13-2003, 10:50 AM
Canlratt is right...look at the way he is holding that fish...

I don't know

Moose Nuckle
08-13-2003, 11:01 AM
I agree with Patrick and Canalrat. I don't know any one that could hold up any thing that weighs 70 pounds with 2 fingers. Also look at the fish then look at the out line of the belly of the fish. Some of the lines look a little fuzzy.:jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester:

Raven
08-13-2003, 11:10 AM
right beside her ankles of blending pixels the lazy way using
the clone brush and a few un explained vertical white pixels near the rear most fin.... and if the fish is supported by something other than its tail ... there is no base to be seen....or support mechanism seen.... in my humble opinion, its a fake.

rwilhelm
08-13-2003, 11:33 AM
I am trying to figure out how that fish is being held up. Something is not right.

Mr. Sandman
08-13-2003, 12:01 PM
First, the guy is NOT holding it up. It is on a stand. Look at this photo near the tail, you can see the stand.
It was a mistake to have his hand appear as though he is holding it up, but he has no choice because you have to balance the thing. When you get your 69, you can hold it anyway you like for your photo. The fish is legit. I can vouch for the gone fishing marina folks...these guys probably weigh in more big fish then is caught in entire state of RI in any given season. I am not kidding either, in one summer there I saw more huge fish then I have ever seen anywhere else. Remember this is Montauk, everyone in this marina is serious fisherman. This is not Star Island Yacht Club home of the 90' sport fisherman up from the Azores(although you have a great view of the place from your cockpit) this is "the" place to keep your boat in montauk if you are really into fishing and people that fish. You don't dock your boat here if you do not like the smell of fish. This marina is alive at 3:00am with guys skulking around...These guys would never lie about a weight. The weight is good to .01lbs.

NilsC
08-13-2003, 01:05 PM
IMHO The pictures look real, in both pictures you can see the foot (end) of whatever is used to support the fish.

As for the quality of the picture, anytime I post a picture here on the net I reduce the picture to a size that the webpage can handle. A 6-700 kb file can be reducet to 60 to 90 kb, but the program used to reduce the file may select a color that look wrong on the final result. Each pixel have a color value and when you reduce the picture from 16million colors to a palette with fever colors stuff gets lost in the translation. It's like rounding a number up or down. The final result are not the same as when you used the decimal value.

my $0.02 = $0 or my $0.05 = $0.10... it's the same difference...

If I tried to attach this picture with out reducing it, John R's server would reject it.

:D :D

Nils:cool:

shore manic
08-13-2003, 01:23 PM
being a fisherman or woman or child there is no reason to lie!!!! i don't know about the rest of ya, but i will never lie about the fish that got away..? why are we even questioning this? the fish of a lifetime!!!! :happy: be happy and enjoy what ya catch!! my $.02

ChrisH
08-13-2003, 02:44 PM
I make my living in PhotoShop and I believe that image has not been manipulated.

Just my 2 cents...and a great fish!

Raven
08-13-2003, 04:29 PM
and or resizing you can increase your colors back up to 16 million

and now the stand is visable in the second pic....just barely

because its a small stand base.

BasicPatrick
08-13-2003, 05:45 PM
Mr Sandman,

Thanx for posting the second pic. In the first the tain is on the ground and the in the second it is not. Also in the second you can see the base of whatever they are using as a stand. I buy it.

Brooksie
08-13-2003, 06:26 PM
Nice catch! Lots of big fish this year, gotta love it.

Goose
08-13-2003, 06:28 PM
...now i know why Mitch Rompola never entered his "World Record Buck" (thats right, world record) in the record books. The guy has been killing record book bucks for years... but there's always gonna be that small % that has to see, touch and smell it!!!!!!!BULL

Moose Nuckle
08-14-2003, 07:45 AM
The second picture looks real. The first on looked questionable. Nice fish. Congrats to the man!!!!:gu: :gu: :gu: :gu:

bluzjamer
08-17-2003, 01:31 AM
Hi Guys,
Ok this is probably a doctored photo. The way the fish is being held up like it is. The lady is crying cause she knows there are shadows on her blouse that aren't supposed to be there.
This is a gag shot most likely. I have certificates in PrePress and Adobe and have worked in PrePress. People can beleive or not beleive, these days it is just too easy to doctor a photo. Seems weird they would have a stand that is made just for this fish. It would have to be, you can only see some black at the bottom. Believe or not photos always cause a stir, especially when it is of this nature (almost record fish). I would have shown several pics from different angles. Show the stand, show everything. Show it hanging from the scale or on the scale.
Bluz

vio
08-17-2003, 05:19 AM
looks doctored to me.

BigFish
08-17-2003, 07:39 AM
I worked in a photo lab also. Picture still looks "fishy" to me.:doh: