View Full Version : Nautil problem....need advice

TBone
08-12-2003, 10:40 AM
My 7500 PGV has been acting up recently and I noticed it even more this past weekend. When I got into a few fish and set the hook on the take the spool would kind jump or skip with the weight of the fish, not like a normal drag working. Kind of felt like the spool would slip the opposite direction when I was reeling in. I'm thinking a worn or busted gear...not 100% on it though. The reel is a little than a year old and has seen a good amount time in the surf, but I keep up on the maintenance as best I can. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot guys.

jettyjockey18
08-12-2003, 11:05 AM
send it back to pure fishing and you should have a brand new replacement in 2 weeks...

Mike P
08-12-2003, 11:22 AM
Any back-play in the handle? If so it might be your anti-reverse.

Send it back NOW 'cause in a few months there ain't gonna be any more Nautils.

richs
08-12-2003, 11:38 AM
Are you using braid that isn't knotted at the spool? Line could be spinning on spool.

TBone
08-12-2003, 02:25 PM
Thanks for your help guys. To answer your q's...Mike P the handle seemed fine, there didn't seem to be any back play in it, it held up as solidly as can be expected for that reel. Rich it is a braided line, but it is tied to the spool and the line seems to be as tight as possible to the spool. I'm going to look into sending it back, I'm sure I'll be needing it in the coming weeks. Thanks again guys, really appreciate the help.

bloocrab
08-12-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by TBone
... it is a braided line, but it is tied to the spool and the line seems to be as tight as possible to the spool...

..That could be deceiving. If one of the spare spools has mono on it you may want to swap out spools to at least eliminate the possibility that it's the braid w/o backing that's causing the slippage. If it really feels like the spools' "slipping" and you don't hear any funky internal gear noises during those times or the drag isn't tightening up while it's slipping, I'd put my money on the braid as being the problem. my .03$

I've got a Nautil also...different problem though- :rolleyes: I always tell myself to stick with what's proven, but I'm a sucka for new things. CE LA VIE!!...that's why you should always try to bring back-up.