View Full Version : Good New England charter trips

Jim in CT
03-08-2017, 11:15 AM
Trying to put together a few trips for me, and my 10 year-old, who is still a novice fisherman. Would love him to be able to experience a good portion of the variety of New England inshore fishing. Here's the list of what I would consider to be the classic inshore trips...

April trip for holdover stripers in a CT river with capt Mike Roy

May trip to Boston Hahbah for winter flounder and livelining macs for bass

June trip to Block to fish for bass and fluke

June trip, while camping on the cape, livelining macs out of P-town with Rich Wood

September to Block to do a combo trip for stripers/sea bass. Love this trip.

October for tautog around Newport (hopefully a couple of cod too).

Am I missing anything big in the CT/RI/Mass area that I can do in a long day? I understand Buzzards Bay has a great spring sea bass fishery, wouldn't mind trying that.

tysdad115
03-08-2017, 11:32 AM
Rest him up one late June/early July day when the block bite is good. Get him out there at night on a boat and let him catch Block Island schoolies all night...he'll love it.

niko
03-08-2017, 12:30 PM
I do a few of those trips your interested in. Give me a call or pm sometime. 617.678.0221. Would be happy to take you and your boy out
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

PaulS
03-08-2017, 03:00 PM
Why not try a local party boat in between those outings? Is it the age of your son?

MakoMike
03-08-2017, 03:08 PM
Missing cos's ledge cod during the summer.

Jim in CT
03-08-2017, 03:22 PM
Why not try a local party boat in between those outings? Is it the age of your son?

Some will absolutely be party boats, can't really afford to book that many 6-packs by myself. I am a bit reluctant with him on some party boats, I don't want him to tangle someone else's line and maybe cause someone to lose a fish and have anyone get mad at him. I know some of these are geared towards families, and I will be looking at those.

We also did some fishing of the beach near New Haven CT for some schoolies last spring. He prefers fishing from a boat. Me, too.

Rest him up one late June/early July day when the block bite is good. Get him out there at night on a boat and let him catch Block Island schoolies all night...he'll love it.

Can you elaborate on this trip?

I do a few of those trips your interested in. Give me a call or pm sometime. 617.678.0221. Would be happy to take you and your boy out

I will get in touch, thanks!

Missing cos's ledge cod during the summer.

OK for a 10 year-old?

Thanks guys! Can't do all of these in 1 year, but will do as many as we can.

tlapinski
03-08-2017, 03:32 PM
Squid jigging trip in RI in the spring on a party boat.

Jim in CT
03-08-2017, 03:39 PM
Squid jigging trip in RI in the spring on a party boat.

See, now that is the beauty of a site like this, I never would gave thought of that. He might love that. I would have no idea what to do with the squid after...I know I like calamari, but I don't know how to go from a live squid to delicious fried calamari.

tlapinski
03-08-2017, 04:37 PM
See, now that is the beauty of a site like this, I never would gave thought of that. He might love that. I would have no idea what to do with the squid after...I know I like calamari, but I don't know how to go from a live squid to delicious fried calamari.

It has been on my to-do list for a few years to do from a boat but keeps evading me - maybe this will be the year.

Cleaning is easy. This is basically how I do it when I jig them up from shore. Then just a light breading, short bath in oil and enjoy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrJWl3EvHeU

Got Stripers
03-08-2017, 05:09 PM
Tog trip Holloween week, that is prime time off the ledges outside BB near Cutty

niko
03-08-2017, 05:19 PM
spring haddock fishing on stellwagen, fall funny fish, and the early june buz bay sea bass is pretty sweet

RIROCKHOUND
03-08-2017, 06:03 PM
It has been on my to-do list for a few years to do from a boat but keeps evading me - maybe this will be the year.

Cleaning is easy. This is basically how I do it when I jig them up from shore. Then just a light breading, short bath in oil and enjoy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrJWl3EvHeU

You are doing that all wrong.
Place it on a 8/0 Gami octopus hook, small egg sinker and hold on tight.... :hidin:

t.orlando
03-08-2017, 06:35 PM
early june buz bay sea bass is pretty sweet

This......sea bass, scup, sea robins, possible fluke or tog. Plenty of action for a 10year old....my favorite fishery

nightfighter
03-08-2017, 07:23 PM

Not a trip for a ten year old.... He'd be ruined for life as far as striper fishing goes.....

thefishingfreak
03-08-2017, 08:22 PM
3rd week (and later) in May will be good for macs n bass for Boston, any earlier will be risky.

PaulS
03-08-2017, 09:16 PM
Squiding at any age is fun.

tysdad115
03-08-2017, 09:26 PM
Not a trip for a ten year old.... He'd be ruined for life as far as striper fishing goes.....

Haha...10 is close enough! Set his sights high.

tysdad115
03-08-2017, 09:39 PM
"Can you elaborate on this trip?"

10 might be young unless he's really into it. But if he is then it's worth looking into. This site has provided incredible opportunities for my son and I to meet some excellent new friends. They all tolerated me coming along so my son could fish. You can't go wrong with any ideas in this thread, Niko is a great captain. Fishbucket too..Most important is have fun.

Raider Ronnie
03-09-2017, 12:43 AM
Kids fishing is great but the key is a trip with lots of action.
Party boats wouldn't be my suggestion.
Some very good suggestions from Niko & torlando with the sea bass, scup ect... spring Mackeral fishing with kids is great also because it's constant action.
Pick a good stable boat and hopefully a day with great weather. Nothing worse than kids getting sea sick and typically Dramamine and other sea sickness meds make them go to sleep.

niko
03-09-2017, 08:23 AM
I'd take my Dom, he's 10, on any of these trips - pending weather. Except night bass off block. Nice job getting your son in on all that NE has to offer

PRBuzz
03-09-2017, 08:43 AM
I'd take my Dom, he's 10, on any of these trips - pending weather. Except night bass off block. Nice job getting your son in on all that NE has to offer

But the Dominator had a fishing pole in his hands before he could walk! You had him crawling to Dux Beach. :) :)

MakoMike
03-09-2017, 01:15 PM
OK for a 10 year-old?

Thanks guys! Can't do all of these in 1 year, but will do as many as we can.

Just depends on the weather.

GattaFish
03-09-2017, 01:19 PM
Check Mike Roy for albies in August/September since your a CT guy.

Jim in CT
03-09-2017, 09:07 PM
Check Mike Roy for albies in August/September since your a CT guy.

My 10 year-old loves Mike Roy! Likes how young he is.