View Full Version : spring time repairs (nightmares ?)

Guppy
03-09-2017, 08:42 PM
would appreciate any help with figuring out how to handle a couple of repair problems, below are a couple links to THT site posts

a side note,,, Mike (clammer) and Paul (piemma) don't look, you'll get sick :bshake:
http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/826902-fuel-tank-sending-unit-bolts.html

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/826913-fuel-tank-has-come-loose.html

Oh! and free fill ups at my place this weekend :-0

Clammer
03-09-2017, 10:42 PM
well Gup that sucks .....but its still better than towing a boat & the battery flips over & spills all the acid .............when its a aluminum boat :nailem:

Guppy
03-10-2017, 07:00 AM
well Gup that sucks .....but its still better than towing a boat & the battery flips over & spills all the acid .............when its a aluminum boat :nailem:

Geeees,,, chit happens hey? :humpty:

tysdad115
03-10-2017, 07:04 AM
Is that the sending unit or just an inspection cover? It looks like there's enough room in the cover to go up a size.
Do you know how thick the tank is? Is a heli-coil out of the question? If you want a hand let me know.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

piemma
03-10-2017, 07:29 AM
GUP, WTF!!!! I looked and am sick to my stomach.

Raven
03-10-2017, 07:35 AM
cera coat everything
just an idea

Slipknot
03-10-2017, 07:41 AM
Holy hell

must have been installed on a Friday Afternoon :wall:
Sea Hunt should be ashamed of that workmanship if you can even call it workmanship.

I don't even know what to say to help with that nightmare but good luck

nightfighter
03-10-2017, 08:54 AM
I would be lighting a fire under Sea Hunt.... Ten year hull warranty is three years past, but that is BS construction. Give them the "opportunity to make this right"...... If they flat out refuse to even look at it, just let them know that there will be a lot of threads documenting this repair on a lot of sites. I did a quick search of their site and saw no mention of their construction or materials.

As far as getting that underway, you need it in a shed. Too bad it was not discovered in November. Might be pressed to get that done in time for a May launch. I am afraid you are going to have to remove more of the deck as you dig deeper.... Get some help before they get into commissioning mode..... Or deliver to Freak's Gettrerdun shop.

JFigliuolo
03-10-2017, 08:55 AM
I always have a feeling of dread whenever i look in a new spot or have to open something up to work on. So far so good.

But I'm not so sure Clammers don't F w/it attitude is all that wrong. The man is a sage i tell ya.

Guppy
03-10-2017, 02:49 PM
Is that the sending unit or just an inspection cover? It looks like there's enough room in the cover to go up a size.
Do you know how thick the tank is? Is a heli-coil out of the question? If you want a hand let me know.

Sending unit, opened up one can of worms, I keep track of the fuel anyways,,,, not going to touch it!

GUP, WTF!!!! I looked and am sick to my stomach.

Scary, hey Paul?

I always have a feeling of dread whenever i look in a new spot or have to open something up to work on. So far so good.

But I'm not so sure Clammers don't F w/it attitude is all that wrong. The man is a sage i tell ya.

The mans a genius, I'm in! .....:hihi:

My plan is to take the opportunity to straighten out some electrical, run a new transducer wire through, temp shim tank in place, put the hatch bAck on without calk, when the tanks entry from fishing, pull the hatch and deal with it....
Move er back in place, glass a block in on the aft end and thinking about foaming the sucker in....

Plan on not skipping a beat :-) fingers crossed

blaruffa
03-10-2017, 05:11 PM
The other year the sending unit died. Nightmare getting it out and new one installed.

This year I bit the bullet my tank looked a like yours.

Guppy
03-10-2017, 07:00 PM
The other year the sending unit died. Nightmare getting it out and new one installed.

Boats! Good luck with her

thefishingfreak
03-10-2017, 08:43 PM
That welded on bracket is for a ground.
If you strip the bolts just re-tap them bigger. They are just half-assed tapped to begin with.
I'd 5200 some wood to those stringers and block the tank in place with some wood cross braces. Heck even two-part foam the thing in there. Just keep it from sliding around .

Sea Dangles
03-11-2017, 09:18 AM
Good Luck Ray. Tog will be in the river soon,you have an open offer to hop on anytime.

Guppy
03-11-2017, 03:38 PM
Good Luck Ray. Tog will be in the river soon,you have an open offer to hop on anytime.

Woo hoo, I like the sounds of that Chris,,,, thank you
Have crabs will travel :btu:

Clammer
03-11-2017, 04:22 PM
fu ck the crabs ><><:spin:

Guppy
03-12-2017, 07:01 AM
fu ck the crabs ><><:spin:

May not need either :spin:

" Division of Marine Fisheries Director Dr. David Pierce has informed the Marine Fisheries Advisory Commission that he will likely ask for Limited Entry to be imposed of the Massachusetts commercial hook and line Tautog fishery. "

Clammer
03-12-2017, 09:25 AM
I HEARD ??? THAT ma> WAS DOING AWAY WITH THEIR spring fishery ????????????:faga:

Guppy
03-12-2017, 07:35 PM
I HEARD ??? THAT ma> WAS DOING AWAY WITH THEIR spring fishery ????????????:faga:

Yes, that also, good thing me thinks....:agree:

paradoxjim
03-13-2017, 12:31 PM

S!!t, that looks suspiciously similar to my cockpit!

bassballer
03-13-2017, 07:34 PM
Ahh man. Good luck Gup. Effing Boats.

Guppy
03-21-2017, 04:55 PM
That welded on bracket is for a ground.
If you strip the bolts just re-tap them bigger. They are just half-assed tapped to begin with.
I'd 5200 some wood to those stringers and block the tank in place with some wood cross braces. Heck even two-part foam the thing in there. Just keep it from sliding around .

Grnd right to the negitive side of electrical sys. ?

Any bright ideas how to get the 60 gal. Fuel out of there?

Clammer
03-21-2017, 05:37 PM
do you have a 21' ???? 60 gal fuel ??/ mine is 84Gal

thefishingfreak
03-21-2017, 09:29 PM
Yes ground to negative, so the sender gets its ground.
Pump the gas into the truck

Guppy
03-22-2017, 05:37 AM
60 Mike

And thanks Mike, looking for a cheap pump,,, free fill ups this weekend :-)

Guppy
04-09-2017, 07:04 AM
back together and hatch is in,,,,,
that will teach me to go looking for trouble
see end of thread here
http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/826913-fuel-tank-has-come-loose.html

MakoMike
04-09-2017, 08:44 AM
What a nightmare!

thefishingfreak
04-09-2017, 09:58 PM
That'll work. At least keep it from sliding around. See you at the race

Guppy
04-10-2017, 05:05 AM
Roger that....��

piemma
04-10-2017, 09:19 AM
do you have a 21' ???? 60 gal fuel ??/ mine is 84Gal

It's the same as my boat Mike. I believe my specs say 65 gallons. You boat is slightly bigger.

Guppy
04-10-2017, 10:41 AM
It's the same as my boat Mike. I believe my specs say 65 gallons. You boat is slightly bigger.

I'll know when I fill er back up today or tomorrow $$$$$$$ :af: