View Full Version : For anyone thinking about total knee replacement.

MAKAI
03-24-2017, 10:01 PM
5 weeks ago I went in for a total right knee replacement, too many falls on stairs, ladders and canal rocks. First week was not so bad, walking all over the hospital on crutches. Quite medicated of course. Second week was a bitch, developed a wicked pissa case of cellulitis. No pain meds other than tylenol, long story of protocol screwups. Once the inflammation went down the progress has been pretty good. PT keeps reeling me back from overdoing the rehab, but I'm in the gym almost daily and walking a few miles a day without a cane, taking a lot of time on a cryocuff. Think I'll try the waders on in some cape pond trout fishing next week. Anyone kicking the tires on this decision feel free to get in touch with me and I'll share my insights on it. Bob.

Raider Ronnie
03-25-2017, 03:14 AM
My father had one replaced this past winter. He should have done it 10-15 years ago.
Infections nearly killed him 2 different times.
If you're going to do it don't wait till you're too old !
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

ProfessorM
03-25-2017, 07:04 AM
Good to hear your on the mend.

BigBo
03-25-2017, 07:43 AM
I had both mine done. One in 2011 and the other in 2015. As for not waiting until you're too old; I agree. They used to try to make you hold off until your latter years. That was mostly due to the technology. The prosthesis has a much longer life span than they used to. And my argument was that I want to be able to walk now more than when I'm in my 70's (I'm 62 now). My Dr didn't put up much of an argument. Of course much of that decision was due to the condition my knees were in.
Yes, you can over due the PT, but don't be afraid to push it. That's one mistake I made with my first replacement. I didn't work it hard enough. I found my bicycle most beneficial the last time in 2015. That's what really gave me my range of motion back.
Now I'm getting ready to go in for back surgery. Having a Laminectomy on L2, L3 and L4 and also a spinal fusion cage on L4-L5.
I'm falling apart. Bad bones riddled with severe arthritis.

http://i.imgur.com/jcA6wph.jpg?2

JohnR
03-25-2017, 08:58 AM
ARRRGGGGHHH!!!!

Not looking forward to the day

Glad you too are both improving

Guppy
03-25-2017, 03:55 PM
5 weeks ago I went in for a total right knee replacement, too many falls on stairs, ladders and canal rocks. First week was not so bad, walking all over the hospital on crutches. Quite medicated of course. Second week was a bitch, developed a wicked pissa case of cellulitis. No pain meds other than tylenol, long story of protocol screwups. Once the inflammation went down the progress has been pretty good. PT keeps reeling me back from overdoing the rehab, but I'm in the gym almost daily and walking a few miles a day without a cane, taking a lot of time on a cryocuff. Think I'll try the waders on in some cape pond trout fishing next week. Anyone kicking the tires on this decision feel free to get in touch with me and I'll share my insights on it. Bob.

Don't over do it! I did and ended up with less angle than the norm, I'm still much better off and planning on the other one next year or two.... If it makes it that long

Steady gentil pressure when at rest
Good luck Bob

MAKAI
03-25-2017, 09:55 PM
Agreed, the PT bosses reeled me in big time.
Just doing what they advise. Unfortunately the first PT had me trying to squat up and down out of a chair 2 weeks after surgery. Mind numbing dizzying pain. Was no need for that according to surgeon and following PTs

vineyardblues
03-26-2017, 09:39 AM
It does sux getting old 😎
If you lose your mind do you still feel pain Lol

BigBo
03-26-2017, 10:01 AM
Yes. And that's based on first hand experience. :spin:

Guppy
03-26-2017, 04:00 PM

No if you're in the woods and no one hears you scream

piemma
03-27-2017, 06:12 AM

Bob, thanks for the PM and advice.

Slipknot
03-27-2017, 07:24 AM
:eek: hope it gets better for you soon Bob

Got Stripers
03-27-2017, 07:34 AM
One of my Dad's favorite phrases when he was going through health issues later in life, was "Getting old isn't for sissy's". Last night as I sat in my lazy boy, heating pad behind my lower back and a large ice pak on my aching left shoulder, I could hear him saying it again.

Being allergic to Ibuprofen is not fun either, although it's probably better for my liver that I am, or I might be throwing them down like M&M's.

MakoMike
03-27-2017, 09:44 AM
I'm thinking about it. Going to wait until the season is over and see how my knee (left) handles the boating/fishing. If I do it, it will probably be right after the holidays this coming winter.

BigBo
03-27-2017, 09:58 AM
When you decide to have it done, plan to dedicate 8-10 weeks of solid therapy before giving any thought to returning to work unless you have a desk job. Even then, sitting for extended periods of inactivity will cause some temporary swelling and pain.

RickBomba
03-30-2017, 01:05 PM
I'm looking forward to the day they let me go ahead with my left knee. There's nothing left to fix, aside from a total or partial replacement.

Guppy gets around really well. He does way better than me, so listen to whatever he says!

OLD GOAT
03-30-2017, 02:21 PM
Had mine doe about ten years ago.
TWO AT A TIME. PIECE OF CAKE.
Can't say enough of doctor W.J.Manning
Chit I was dancing with the nurses the next day.

Guppy
03-30-2017, 04:06 PM
I'm looking forward to the day they let me go ahead with my left knee. There's nothing left to fix, aside from a total or partial replacement.

Guppy gets around really well. He does way better than me, so listen to whatever he says!

Or else! :wave:

Rockfish9
03-31-2017, 08:40 AM
I do want to thank all you guy's for buying all these parts...my company makes Knees...Hips ...and many "bones" as well as mesh implants and spinal parts...our Colorado facility makes a lot of the tooling ( reamers.. rasps and scalpel sets) for the process...we also make trauma mesh and mammogram grids... the amount of these things I see going out the door insures that I'll get to retire in a few years...:wave:

nightfighter
03-31-2017, 12:12 PM
I just want to find a procedure with hardware that will allow me to kneel on the knee after the replacement. If I could clear that hurdle, I would try to get it done in December at Baptist Hospital in Boston.

Guppy
03-31-2017, 03:15 PM
Ross, knee pads help, but it's the amount of bend that determines whether you sub out the baseboard or not.... IMO

Been working on fuel tank in das boat, I go up and down like a giraffe trying for a drink of water,,, it ain't pretty! ;)

MAKAI
03-31-2017, 08:28 PM
I do want to thank all you guy's for buying all these parts...my company makes Knees...Hips ...and many "bones" as well as mesh implants and spinal parts...our Colorado facility makes a lot of the tooling ( reamers.. rasps and scalpel sets) for the process...we also make trauma mesh and mammogram grids... the amount of these things I see going out the door insures that I'll get to retire in a few years...:wave:

Hmmm....I'm thinking 🤔 how many cool fishing trips this knee cost me...

Got Stripers
04-01-2017, 08:17 AM
Can you imagine what a thread like this might look like in 40 years. I've been waiting for my new body for weeks, has anyone had such a delay to get their new chassis for the spring run? I swear at times this seems like the old days, when they actually put new parts and pieces in, instead of just replacing the body.

Higgie
04-01-2017, 09:35 AM
I haven't had to total knee replacement done but two years ago had my ACL done. Best advice I can give is prehab as much as possible and listen to your PT and do the exercises. I did a hamstring graft with mine and have no problem with the functionality of the knee including running and kneeling. Like the old saying goes once one hinge goes the other isn't far behind so I'm sure ill have to have the other done eventually