View Full Version : couple pics and a dogfish question

schoolie monster
08-13-2003, 12:11 PM
My daughter and I had a good trip out in the harbor a couple thursday's ago and I posted a brief report on some thread. We got 10 fish w/ 6 keepers including a solid 23lber. Brit caught several solo keepers drifting live herring.

We fished several of the rocky shorelines of the Harbor islands and some inshore rockpiles. Saw lots of fish around.

Got a couple schoolies on plastic, but bait seemed to be the key.

I have been out of touch with a couple of sick babies but wanted to post some pics of our trip.

Anyway, in honor of shark week, I wanted to get a couple dogfish this weekend. For a 5 year old, they seem like scary sharks. I figure this might be one time, someone might not mind giving up some spots :)

Anyone fishing Boston getting dogfish and want to share their techniques? I'm imagining chunks or clams... any info would be appreciated.

Here's Brit with the 23lber we caught.

schoolie monster
08-13-2003, 12:12 PM
and a good shot of it

missing link
08-13-2003, 12:13 PM
dogfish ... watch out for the stinger on the tail.

schoolie monster
08-13-2003, 12:17 PM
and a fish pretty representative of the fish I'd been getting the past few trips. I took the weekend after off cause I was exhausted... then the twins got sick and I've done nothing but take care of crying babies for the past 7 days. I'm dying to get out this weekend. Hope we have good weather.

MakoMike
08-13-2003, 12:37 PM
If you do get a spiny be very careful on the spikes on the tail and the base of the dorsal fin.

Van
08-13-2003, 12:43 PM
SM, Nice fish and you got a real fisherwoman on your hands.
If she gets too good, you may want to leave her home once in a while !!!!;) ;) JK....

Dogfish, I have not been outside lately because of them. But if they are still around (which is likely), just head out from boston light or brewsters a mile or so, and throw some chunks out. Chum a bit if you have to. I didn't need to chum the last time I was into them, because I didnt want to attract more of them.

I am also hoping to get out for a while this weekend, maybe Sat or Sun morning. The boy is off a camp so I'm going alone.

schoolie monster
08-13-2003, 02:31 PM
I'll watch the spikes, I have handled them before when caught as bycatch, just never targeted them.

Van, if you were targeting them, would you use weight?

I was thinking about 3 and 1/2 fathoms and gashing a couple herring if I can still find them. I'm not going to waste alot of time with it, I just thought it would be neat for the kid since we've been watching shark week.

I'm thinking sat morning, but I may not have it in me. Might need a sleep day and go out sun morning. I'll keep an eye out for you though...

thanks.

She's gonna be good. She's pretty patient out there for her age. She likes being out on the water and digs catching fish whether its herring, sunfish, or a keeper striper. But yeah, I'll still want to get out by myself sometimes.

Van
08-13-2003, 02:51 PM
SM, I guess if the current is moving you may want to get the bait down a bit. usually its not needed and if they are a thick as a few weeks ago, a cheese curl on a safety pin will work just fine.

If your out there either morning hail KARAVI on 69, I usually have the radio on.

chris L
08-13-2003, 03:11 PM
greg Brit looks very happy . Isnt it great to have a daughter who likes to fish almost as much as Dad ? I love it !

Yes you still need to get out to fish alone , but you will be miss having her with you .

Van
08-13-2003, 03:24 PM
Chris your right, my daughter also loved coming out and catching any kind of fish. Like yours and Gregs....

BUT............

THEN SHE BECAME A TEENAGER !!!!! and that was about it. She still comes out when I take the family, and we might troll a bit. But she don't get excited anymore and WILL NOT touch a fish !!!
Then its,, when are we going home??

I hope it does not happen to you, but I had her
fishing since age 3.

They grow up way too fast.....

Fish On
08-13-2003, 04:00 PM
All I have to do to catch dogfish is to fish with any dead bait targeting other desireable species like fluke. This technique has been great for dogfish lately, unfortunately. You shouldn't have any trouble finding them. Good luck.

Got Stripers
08-13-2003, 08:04 PM
Based on those pics I'd ask why target a dogfish, what's the matter with you son, you been out in the sun too long?

schoolie monster
08-14-2003, 09:07 AM
Hey Bob, what's happenin'? I got lots wrong with me... I wish I could blame it on the sun.

It will definitely be an afterthought... but its shark week on discovery and the Britster wondered if we could catch a shark. I ain't gonna spend much of my ever shortening season and fishing time on it... but I had heard that people couldn't get to the stripers due to masses of dogfish so I thought it might be pretty easy.

She's afraid to touch stripers and thinks she wants a shark in the boat. La chicas.

I hope she does stick with it... alot of that probably depends on me keeping it fun for her and not yelling at her too much. Brit stop letting go the herring! Brit, stop hammering the pliers off the grab rails! Brit, don't tie your toy shark to the dock lines and troll it behind the boat!

Van, I'll bring some cheetos... I'll be out on sunday 'cause we have this party down at the cape for the wife's company... starts with a whale watch and then goes to the ceo's other house in barnstable... I guess he has a couple.

Actually, the guy is a huge fisherman so I'll give him a pass. Maybe I can get him to hire me as his permanent fishing guide for like 100k/year

Hope to see you out there... thanks everyone for all the info.

Mr. Kav
08-14-2003, 10:14 AM
i was out a few weeks ago and took my nephew and my girlfriends nephew because they are friends and on the same baseball team. i first targeted stripers and managed a few on chunks just barely keepers then switched to a tube and worm and we got two more about 32". all the kids wanted to do was see a shark so i went around 70 ft of water off boston light to show them some dogfish and that was the highlight of their trip. when i dropped them off all they kept saying was " Mom we caught sharks" no mention of the four keepers we caught. go figure.

kids love sharks !!!

Mr. Sandman
08-14-2003, 11:35 AM
We catchem in the deep water while flukin. look for 60' or so and drop a big hunk of bait down...You right, kids love them things..I hate them they seem to gather all the lines together in a monster tangle. They put up a hell of a fight on light gear and can really take the drag. It is fun to watch a 7 year-olds face when the rod buckles under the boat and the drag is peeling out!

Around here you seem to get two kinds...the Sandshark and the spiny dogfish. The spiny dogfish has a sharp bone like "poike" as my kids call it that will leave a nasty scar. The sandshark is smooth. We had them up to about 4.5' or so in lenght...the kids howl! We had several 4# fluke in the cooler and they were pumped about the shark.:rolleyes: