View Full Version : A Fund Raising Raffle (please read)

gilligan
08-13-2003, 05:48 PM
hello everyone,
I have been talking to John R about this for some time now and he gave me the go ahead to post this. Here is whats going on. My brother in-law John has been diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. He has NEVER smoked a thing in his life, EVER.The doctors are sure it's from second hand smoke.The cancer is in it's fourth stage and advancing extremely fast. My sister and John have two girls ages 4 and 2 who are having a tough time understanding the situation. On 10/3/03 there is going to be a fundraiser held in which i would like to make a donation to from a fund raiser held here on www.striped-bass.com . Before i describe whats up for raffle and the cost for chances i want to assure you that this will be moderated by John R and all moneys would be collected by John R. After the raffle John R has agreed to cut a check to "The Emma and Rebecca Ingrassia Education Trust Fund" in the name of www.striped-bass.com and it's members.
OK now here is what i would like to offer. All items are Delta and under 6 months old

9" band saw (bs100)
10" compound mitre saw (ms250)
midi lathe (la200)
10" drill press (dp200)
6" grinder (gr150)

i have the boxes for most but have the manuals and parts list's for them all. they are all in mint condition.
John and i have agreed that 10$ for one chance and 3 for 25$ would be a reasonable cost. we have also agreed that it would be best to leave it up to the members on how to go about it. I paid about $700 for all of them brand new. If there was enough response and interest i will drive all the tools to John R's house before the raffle started to make everyone a little more comfortable.
Thank You for spending time to read this and Thank You john for helping/allowing me to post on this
THANK YOU EVERYONE
Mike Sciarini

Brooksie
08-13-2003, 06:20 PM
I'd like to encourage everyone to help out, these are two of the sweatest girls you'd ever meet and unfortunately they're about to lose their father. I admire Mike for what he is doing, he loves those tools and loves making lures but without a second thought is parting with them to try and help out his nieces. I can attest all tools listed are pretty much brand new and I'll take 3 raffles. Please help Mike out.

wendymichele
08-13-2003, 06:34 PM
My mother was diagnosed early with lung cancer last year, also having never smoked. Luckily it was caught early and isolated within a single lobe, which was removed. I would like to contribute to your fund raiser, but I'm not really interested in purchasing any raffle tickets. Is there an address available?
I'd also like to say that my thoughts will be with your family.

JohnR
08-13-2003, 07:31 PM
As Gilligan said, we've been talking about this for a few weeks now and would like to put something together for this. The only thing in my mind that approaches the loss of a child os for young children to lose a parent.

We'll hammer out the details soon. Thank you.

Wendy - I hope your mom is doing much better now.

Clammer
08-13-2003, 08:27 PM
I,m in for whatever ??????????????/

BigBo
08-13-2003, 08:29 PM
I don't have the room for more tools, but I'd be more than happy to make a $25 donation to the fund. I'll mail a check as soon as John posts the addy details.

gilligan
08-14-2003, 06:41 AM
thank you.
wendy, im glad to here they found the cancer in it's early stages. i hope it's all under control now.

RIJIMMY
08-14-2003, 08:04 AM
Perhaps you can set up a "paypal" account so you can receive the donations and raffle purchases online.
People are more prone to act immediatley when they read this and dontate . www.paypal.com
I'm in for a donation too.

NilsC
08-14-2003, 08:12 AM
Gilligan, you can put me down for 3 tickets. If I win I donate the tool back to you... Just make me a lure when you get the time.

My family and I will pray for John, his wife and 2 girls.

Nils

Johnny C
08-14-2003, 08:43 AM
My father has been fighting stomach cancer for 5 years now. He has had almost his entire stomach removed between two opporations. He is 74, I am 28.
His faith and spirit have been inspireational to many people. Unreal. He should have "been Planted" as he says, two years ago.
All he ever wants to do is talk fishing, he claims to be the "king of the beach" back in the day. Watch hill and Misquamicut.
Anyway. Be strong in the tough times, you never know how long you have.
Sign me up for $50.

JohnR
08-14-2003, 09:40 AM
OK - here is the page with the info I have. On this page describes exactly what & who the benefit is for - please read. Also is a donate link for PayPal that I am running. When this runs it's course, I will cut a check to the fund on behalf of the members of S-B. The raffle will be held at a later date - still working out the details. http://www.striped-bass.com/eretf.shtml

Thanks,

John

GaryK2
08-14-2003, 09:56 AM
I'd be glad to donate, and don't need the tools. I know how much this kind of thing sucks. The Kulik's will pray for them.

gilligan
08-14-2003, 03:29 PM
Cancer is horribleand it effects everyone at some point in their life.it's really hard to deal with how quickly it is taking over the rest of his body.Emma the 5 year old asked my mother if her daddy was gonna die and my mother was speechless. the doctors told everyone to start being honest with them because they need to be prepared for when he passes. my wife and i have them here usually a couple nights a week and its gonna be tough to hear and answer their questions. i just feel so bad for them. well once again thank you all
mike sciarini

Bernzy
08-14-2003, 05:59 PM

macojoe
08-14-2003, 07:07 PM
I also will make a donation of $25 but don't need the tools!! So the same here if I win you can keep the tool or tools I get!
Good Luck!!

Sweetieface
08-15-2003, 08:23 AM
I'm so sorry to hear of this awful news. I'd be happy to donate. And since I have no use for the tools (don't even know what most of them ARE), I'd be happy to donate those as well WHEN I win them!!

BigFish
08-15-2003, 08:54 AM
Sorry to hear such terrible news. I would like to help. If you could use it to generate funds for donation, I have a brand new, in the box, never used Calcutta 400 non-level wind reel that I was going to try to sell or trade for other gear but I think I would rather it went to help these folks out. If you could use it I will see that JohnR gets it and my thoughts are with all of you at this time.

BigFish

maddog2020
08-15-2003, 09:49 AM
I lost my mom (61 yrs old) to ovarian cancer and my uncle (44 yrs old) to stomach cancer. :( Dying from cancer is a terrible thing (slow death).

I don't need any tools. I just sent over a PP payment.

If it ever bothers you and you need some one to talk to, send me an e-mail with a phone and I'll give you a call back. Stuff gets built up inside and it eats at ya. I know you don't know me from a hole in the wall, but I'm a good listener.

StripperSearch
08-15-2003, 12:12 PM
ditto the above. my donation sent - don't need the raffel tix,
SS

MikeTLive
10-06-2003, 08:22 AM
BUMP-- I don't know how I missed this over the summer.

My lure money this week will be better spent for these kids.

http://www.striped-bass.com/eretf.shtml

MikeTLive
10-06-2003, 08:33 AM
Oh, yeah... Put me down for 3
I will use the paypal link for 30
This will cover the paypal overhead too!!

gilligan
11-08-2003, 01:07 PM
I have sent john a pm to arrange for the tool drop off . im sorry ive put this off but ive just been so tied up. i've added 2 tattoo darters for the runner up (1 yellow/white 1 black). once again THANK YOU VERY MUCH
Michael C. Sciarini