View Full Version : Very sloooow fishing in Narr Bay

piemma
06-03-2017, 06:31 AM
Things are very slow. I have 1, 25# fish and a bunch in the 30 to 32" range. I have been skunked for the last 3 days. Livelining pogies, chunking pogy heads and cut bodies and throwing eels at night.

Talking to quite a few other fishermen and the story is the same. I think you guys in the Canal and Buzz Bay are doing better but this is as slow as I have seen it since we had the moratorium.

Clammer
06-03-2017, 07:24 AM
I told ta sweetwater was were it was at .............worm & a float for sunfish is lookin good right now ><><:shocked:

piemma
06-03-2017, 08:41 AM
I told ta sweetwater was were it was at .............worm & a float for sunfish is lookin good right now ><><:shocked:

You are right Mike. I can't go thru this crap again. Yesterday was ridiculous. 5 hours and not one chase/bite. Must have run a total of 50 or 60 miles on the water.

Clammer
06-03-2017, 10:36 AM
only 5 or 6 / not enough time ><><:fishin:

denis
06-03-2017, 01:53 PM
Have faith my boys,lots of rain and big tides . when things get back to the norm it will happen.

piemma
06-03-2017, 03:23 PM
Have faith my boys,lots of rain and big tides . when things get back to the norm it will happen.

:claps::claps::claps:

Guppy
06-03-2017, 04:05 PM
Was going to try it again, guess I'll wait

Paul, u up for a trip up this way? Could be a week b 4 the wind lays down

Better days are coming boys! :-)

nightfighter
06-04-2017, 06:46 PM
Paul, you could always come over to Cuttyhunk with us this Thursday or Friday.........

piemma
06-05-2017, 03:03 AM
Paul, you could always come over to Cuttyhunk with us this Thursday or Friday.........

Knees wont take the rocks anymore Ross.

Got Stripers
06-05-2017, 07:06 AM
This is the first spring I've not targeted stripers once, all my focus is in upper BB for black sea bass and I hope some fluke soon. Once the good eater bite slows, I might break out the striper gear and go on a couple night bites. Hitting it this afternoon, love overcast drizzly conditions, keeps you cooler in an open kayak and I should have the place all to myself.

ThrowingTimber
06-05-2017, 07:19 AM
were'nt you just all tears and tantrums because someone was discussing a fishing location on social media?

bassballer
06-05-2017, 08:56 AM
Sorry to hear Paul. At least youve been on the water. Newborn baby has kept me at the dock.

zimmy
06-05-2017, 09:15 AM
Now that it is June, I can officially say this is unequivocally the worst spring run I have had in CT in the 15 years I have been here. It has gotten slower and slower over the last 5 or 6 years, but this year was abysmal. The majority of my trips I have had the thought that given this tide, this time of year, these conditions it is impossible that I am not even getting one sniff. Enough excuses. It is not the weather, not the water temps, not that all fish went offshore on sand eels or around Long Island and skipped CT or wherever, The data and the eye test show that there are just a ton fewer fish.

albythereforyou
06-05-2017, 09:30 AM
Now that it is June, I can officially say this is unequivocally the worst spring run I have had in CT in the 15 years I have been here. It has gotten slower and slower over the last 5 or 6 years, but this year was abysmal. The majority of my trips I have had the thought that given this tide, this time of year, these conditions it is impossible that I am not even getting one sniff. Enough excuses. It is not the weather, not the water temps, not that all fish went offshore on sand eels or around Long Island and skipped CT or wherever, The data and the eye test show that there are just a ton fewer fish.

agreed.

the eastern CT guys and RI guys are now finally feeling what the western sound guys have been saying for the past 5-6 years. WTF where are any fish? dinks? keepers? cows? with the exception of the boat guys finding the last of the mohicans in 50 ft of water, the western sound ct shoreline is a sea robin fishery once our resident bass dump out of the river and leave the surrounding areas in search of food.

the hudson dinks invaded on time in april, and..... that was it.... they moved on like always, and usually come end of april / may we get some decent hudson 10-20 lb bass. That run of fish was basically non existent in my neck of the woods. now whats left of the bigger hudson fish are filtering in, and the boat guys are killing them (everybody loves a dead 40 on deck!) as always...

fishbones
06-05-2017, 10:58 AM
I haven't been out much, but I've already seen more fish of all sizes than I saw from May until July last season. I wonder if the bait took the fish in a different migratory pattern this year?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Sea Dangles
06-05-2017, 11:02 AM
Sorry to hear Paul. At least youve been on the water. Newborn baby has kept me at the dock.

You will never regret this decision,Congrats!

piemma
06-05-2017, 01:09 PM
were'nt you just all tears and tantrums because someone was discussing a fishing location on social media?

That was when the first push came thru. It actually made me quite F^&&%kbook and never go back. Been off for 1 month and very happy about it.

piemma
06-05-2017, 01:18 PM

Jay, the baby is the best thing that ever happened to you next to getting married. Trust me, you are not missing anything.

We had one big push early in the month of May and I pick a 25# out of that group. After that it has been a few small fish and an occasional 30 to 32" fish.

Clammer and I were talking about the lack of fish and Mike made a great point. Except for the fact that there are a ton of small fish, this is very reminiscent of right before the moratorium in 87-92.

You can't have the guys killing the big fish on the SW Ledge and the slaughter that has been taking place in VA, Maryland, DE and NC the way they have for the last few years and not affect the population.

I have always been an advocate of maintaining some semblance of a comm season but I believe it is taking a toll.

bloocrab
06-05-2017, 01:43 PM
You will never regret this decision,Congrats!

:claps::claps:

I couldn't agree more.
Although I can't say I was happy at first (as shallow as that sounds), trading my fishing schedule as well as *desire* ...for a child?...but looking back, no regrets what-so-ever. It was harder when he was still a baby and didn't communicate much....but that didn't last long, because honestly, he didn't do much but sleep eat and :bshake: (while her and I sat there saying...."awww, so cute"...yeah, that can only last so long, LOL)......but once they start learning, asking questions and look to you for guidance, the satisfaction I got from that was and continues to be priceless....and I can't state this enough, the more YOU put into your child, .....time, love, devotion, etc...the better the outcome.
If your child hardly sees you or spends time with you....the deep trusting relationship you hope for, will never develop. Just my opinion.

*Desire?....yeah, the bright and ever-glowing drive to fish as much as I could........is extremely DIM. I won't allow it to extinguish, but it's definitely laying dormant until the days with no soccer practice, hockey practice, swim class, CCD, homework-time, reading time, prayer time, etc, etc....:eek5:......come back???

Parent-hood is NOT a responsibility one should take lightly...and more importantly, not one you dump on your wife or husband. When you're the head of a family, lead by example.

KUDAS to you Jay, for making the better decision.
The regulations are in place, the fish will always be there (although some may disagree)
For now, Good Luck being the best dammn dad you can be.
God Bless ~

Swimbait
06-05-2017, 03:34 PM
Striper fishing for me in RI has been weak for the last several seasons. This year seemed very promising early on with a ton of small, fat healthy looking schoolies around, but like everyone else things seemed to be ridiculously slow more recently, to put it gently.

More positively though, the blue fish seemed to be getting bigger and bigger the last several seasons. Last fall the gator blues my partner and I were catching in the yaks were great. My luck with Albies has been exceptional in RI as well, both from shore and via kayak. After this past Memorial day cluster fok of an outing (4 days/3 micros), I'm not expecting things to change with the stripers until possibly the fall and even then I'm not getting too excited. Of all my fishing peeps, the most consistent and successful ones (in terms of pure numbers of high quality fish) have been those that work the canal almost exclusively. The bones and albies, that is what I see as the key draw for RI fishing these days.

Guppy
06-05-2017, 04:47 PM
I've been mixing it up pretty good but have made quit a few bass trips and I got to tell ya, the damn things are everywhere!

I haven't been Chacing them ( keeping track?) nearly as long as most of you guys but wonder if there isn't something else going on with the lack of fish down your way. Point Judith took enough squid out of the equation to fill one of the Great Lakes last year,,, just saying!

hq2
06-05-2017, 05:37 PM
Was by the west end of the canal yesterday in a boat. Fished a number of good rips, no SB. Saw one guy pull one in.

However..... the sea bass fishing was great. Caught our limit in about
2 hours, including a 6 lber! Didn't get any togs; only fair on scup (maybe a little early). One nice fluke.

And yes, being a father is hands down the best experience you can
have. Nothing beats it. Suggestion; once they stop crying, keep the
TV off, and spend all your spare time with the kid(s). They'll be big
before you know it. Don't miss a minute of the good years.:angel:

Got Stripers
06-05-2017, 06:46 PM
I am enjoying the sea bass bite and once it slows, I hope to target some stripers or tog, but the dinners lately have been yummy. Met a lost snapper today, who was probably either looking to lay eggs or looking for racks some idiots have been leaving all around this launch site.

bassballer
06-05-2017, 07:03 PM
Sound advice guys. The fish will be there. Learning early that the wife needs the support as much as the baby. I've been surfing when there's waves which helps ease the jonesin of bass. Plus the bay game isn't really my thing. I get really amped when the fish start to move out front for the top water bite. And I'm saving my time for tuna fishing. BTW Kye is doing awesome and was on the boat for the first time. Gonna be a while before he gets his sea legs!!

basswipe
06-06-2017, 06:12 AM
Its been ok for me,no spectacular trips yet.

I'll say this much,the day bite has been a hell of a lot better than night.