View Full Version : I LOVE FISHING REPORTS!

JFigliuolo
06-09-2017, 06:36 AM
I read them... just for yucks. OTW report this week makes you think big bass are thick in the RI area.

WTF. :whackin::whackin::whackin:

JohnR
06-09-2017, 06:55 AM
I read them... just for yucks. OTW report this week makes you think big bass are thick in the RI area.

WTF. :whackin::whackin::whackin:

Fishing Reports S E L L

mayday1019
06-09-2017, 07:14 AM
Acres of bass so thick you could jump from your boat and walk across 'em!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Mugz
06-09-2017, 07:30 AM
It is pretty comical.....but I am the perfect example of why you don't chase reports....

Went out a couple weeks ago on a "good" tide.....bait all around, a few smalls to show for our efforts. Had a buddy go out the next day, pretty much the same tide, same conditions, same place, and slammed them!! Timing...and just my luck.

DZ
06-09-2017, 07:56 AM
Fishing "reports" from any business related to fishing should always be looked at with a grain of salt. I mean when is the last time you saw a report from a charter boat that said "fishing sucks right now". As a favor I've been giving weekly "grapevine" surfcasting reports to The Fisherman Magazine for many, many years. The late Tim Coleman started these "grapevine" reports where he would call a list of friends with no fishing related business connections for "general" reports. In our weekly conversations he mentioned more than once that the individual reports he would get were much more accurate than those he would get from his paid advertisers. Tim was a realist and he always knew when someone was spewing misinformation or yanking his chain. He had to walk a fine line with those clients that would pay for advertisements in his magazine. Just the nature of the game he would say. I learned much from Timmy and for that I'm grateful.

FishermanTim
06-09-2017, 10:12 AM
I agree.

If the person giving the report has any vested interest in a business that would benefit from skewing those reports, then their reports are worthless.

If you can get an unbiased report that gives true unbiased facts, then take it and run (but remember that fish that were there yesterday may not be there today).

I'd feel better if I spent a day chasing fish based on my hunches than any (over)paid (so-called) expert report from a paid source.
At least I did my own leg work and found out first hand whether I was right or wrong.

With that being said, I do enjoy reading some reports because of the heightened "BS" factor that is infused into the stories...

Clammer
06-09-2017, 10:25 AM
I JUST read a detailed fishing report on the SNESA ,,,e-mail site ..................................I must live in the wrong state or there is another one with a Newport, BI , Prov & Seekonk Rivers .because its sure not the place I,ve been fishing this year & the past 55 years ........... all this has done is create a fuster cluck for the HOT weekend coming up ......................:exp:

DZ
06-09-2017, 10:38 AM
I always liked how Charley Soars would end his fishing report column.
"Just remember fish have tails and they swim."

MAKAI
06-09-2017, 11:08 AM
Used to be hanging in Roys old shop in franklin and the call would come in for reports. Man the load of horse#^&#^&#^&#^& we would give up 😬

PaulS
06-09-2017, 12:44 PM
Young friend called up earlier and asked me to go to the canal. He said "there are 50s being caught there".

Got Stripers
06-09-2017, 04:55 PM
I plan my fishing now on catching a good tide, hopefully some fishy weather (like this past Monday with overcast and drizzly) and putting some dinner on the table. For me it's not about large anymore, good friends, getting my son out and bending a rod with whatever.

piemma
06-10-2017, 02:02 AM
Used to be hanging in Roys old shop in franklin and the call would come in for reports. Man the load of horse#^&#^&#^&#^& we would give up ��

We use to do the same thing at Murats.

5/0
06-10-2017, 11:02 PM
Fishing "reports" from any business related to fishing should always be looked at with a grain of salt. I mean when is the last time you saw a report from a charter boat that said "fishing sucks right now". As a favor I've been giving weekly "grapevine" surfcasting reports to The Fisherman Magazine for many, many years. The late Tim Coleman started these "grapevine" reports where he would call a list of friends with no fishing related business connections for "general" reports. In our weekly conversations he mentioned more than once that the individual reports he would get were much more accurate than those he would get from his paid advertisers. Tim was a realist and he always knew when someone was spewing misinformation or yanking his chain. He had to walk a fine line with those clients that would pay for advertisements in his magazine. Just the nature of the game he would say. I learned much from Timmy and for that I'm grateful.
Too funny but true.
I once called out Mike frome the Boston Globe and said that your full of $hit on your accuracy b/c I fished the spots in the Habah that he was spewing was completely in accurate.

The funny part was he got pissed that I actually called him and told him that he was wrong he was freaking pissed.
Holy endorsements.

piemma
06-11-2017, 09:38 AM
Too funny but true.
I once called out Mike frome the Boston Globe and said that your full of $hit on your accuracy b/c I fished the spots in the Habah that he was spewing was completely in accurate.

The funny part was he got pissed that I actually called him and told him that he was wrong he was freaking pissed.
Holy endorsements.

Funny stuff. I did the same thing to Tom Meade at the ProJo many years ago. His report said "Weakfish in abundance at the Charleston Breachway". At the time I was a regular at the Breachway and no one had caught a Weakfish there in 15 years. He hung up on me. :yak4:

bassballer
06-12-2017, 10:34 AM
Just look at the facebok pages of local charter guys. 30's to 40's everyday, 2 trips a day!

MAKAI
06-12-2017, 01:43 PM
A long time ago the late George Carlzon told me " Never believe what you hear and only half of what you see."

Sea Dangles
06-12-2017, 05:13 PM
George did a lot right, and his lures were slayers. Love how he sold hooks too!

Jim in CT
06-12-2017, 08:12 PM
I plan my fishing now on catching a good tide, hopefully some fishy weather (like this past Monday with overcast and drizzly) and putting some dinner on the table. For me it's not about large anymore, good friends, getting my son out and bending a rod with whatever.

great post! Would love to get a black sea bass on a kayak someday, a very good friend of mine bought a Hobie tandem, looking forward to trying it.

Rob Rockcrawler
06-12-2017, 08:56 PM
I haven't called M&D's for a fishing report in years but always appreciated the honest answers from Mike. Saved me a lot of gas over the years. Same goes for the guys at SWE, they were pretty good also. Now i don't care what the reports are i fish wen i can.

piemma
06-13-2017, 01:36 AM
George did a lot right, and his lures were slayers. Love how he sold hooks too!

I huge out and fished with George for years. I could tell you some stories about George and Emilio's!!!:D

Billybob
06-15-2017, 09:35 AM
At least the guy who writes the OTW reports actually fishes