View Full Version : Crazy 2nd trip of the season! *Long*

Zeal
06-19-2017, 03:37 PM
My patient/friend has a nice 30 Foot Riviera (I think the model is called Black Marlin) and this year the boat finally got fixed up and we are ready to pound the water. Unbeknownst to me, he's training me to be a backup captain besides being a mate (God forbid something happens to him). Last time I drove a boat was a 15' Anna Capri with no power steering or seats and it was over 20 years ago at the roughest waters of LI (I was about 8 or 9 years old). The boat I'm learning has dual diesel engines (important to note) with a bunch of gauges and features that I have no clue about or is fragmented since nobody taught me anything about mechanics or machinery.

Take about a 20-30 minute trip to go from the bay, through a canal, to the bay where we go to bang on some scup (my friend loves fishing for them). I drive about 60% of the way learning as we go.

Well we get into some nice sized 1 lb scup and for the first time in many years I catch a weakfish. My heart nearly stopped because my brain definitely did at what I landed (19" too!). We have our fun, go to head back in as the bite died.

Well driving in he goes to slow down because we have to approach the canal to be let through and the engines are not responding AT ALL. The boat is maintaining about 12 knots and we are hauling through a marina. Alarms are going off and all this noise, people cursing about leaving a wake, he tries to go in neutral, mashes the synchronizer, and even turns the ignition off and the motors are still going. He makes a big U turn in part of the marina and we barely clear it and head back to the bay where eventually the motors shut off. My friend probably hit everything on the controls and who knows what finally made the engines stop. No smoke or steam coming out or anything to suggest something abnormal.

The entire time hes nearly having a cardiac and oddly I'm just calmly watching how he is reacting to an emergency situation (pretty sure I just witnessed everything you could possibly do in all of 2 blinks of an eye as far as what to press and such).

One engine comes back on, the other doesn't. That's fine, it isn't overheating and we can get back with one engine. Bad news is that the canal is locked until the tide turns which is 6 hours from then. We tie to a floating dock, he has his foreman come pick him up so he gets his truck (mine is at the home marina). Killed time, filleted up the fish, and at 11pm we finally were let through. Get back to the dock and I have to pack my gear and do a 40 minute drive home. He lives on his boat so he just passed out.

Honestly, I wasn't scared even after the fact, I guess I have a lot of trust in him and the boat. Exhaustion was another story.

His mechanic looks at the boat and the list that I could get out of it second hand was: stuck fan belt, worn fan belt, an alternator needed to be replaced, and there was loose electrical wiring (whoever did the job last didn't even shrink wrap wires together and they were all loose). A trip after, the engines were running very hot and it turned out the impellers melted and chunks went into the chamber.

You learn a lot when things break or try to kill you. I thought it was very special how diesel engines will still go even with the ignition off.

All in all, catching that weakfish made all that other stuff worth the torture.

bloocrab
06-20-2017, 07:42 AM
Not a happy feeling either way....luckily you were in the marina area, so worse case....you bang a couple of boats, get clear enough to drop the anchor and just circle around it until you run out of gas....:rotf2:

Glad you scored your first weakfish, always exciting to catch something new to you.
Sux for your buddy, I'm sure the repair isn't going to be cheap!

Guppy
06-20-2017, 07:50 AM
sounded like gas in the fuel at first,,,, major problem, you'd need a bazooka to shut them down :spin:

Nebe
06-20-2017, 07:55 AM
Sounds like a scene from Cady Shack !
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

piemma
06-20-2017, 09:31 AM
Not a happy feeling either way....luckily you were in the marina area, so worse case....you bang a couple of boats, get clear enough to drop the anchor and just circle around it until you run out of gas....:rotf2:

Glad you scored your first weakfish, always exciting to catch something new to you.
Sux for your buddy, I'm sure the repair isn't going to be cheap!

Check out Fuel Ox for marine. Navy and DoD use it in all their engines. The stuff is magic. I use it in all my stuff, marine, diesel tractor, gas lawn tractor, etc, etc.

MakoMike
06-20-2017, 01:43 PM
Diesel engines don't have an ignition system, shutting off the key is supposed to activate a kill switch. Sometimes it doesn't work that way. All diesel engines should be installed with a manual fuel shut off. Next time find out where they are.

Rockfish9
06-21-2017, 08:19 AM
Sounds like a scene from Cady Shack !
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

you beat me to it..my thoughts exactly...

glad it turned out OK.... scary when things don't respond the way you expect.