View Full Version : Spring Surf Club Challenge Results

tlapinski
06-20-2017, 11:30 AM
I just received the results of the annual Spring Surf Fishing Club Challenge, and they are pasted below with angler names removed. 7 clubs entered, presumably 5 to 10 anglers fishing per club along all of the beaches of RI, and not a single striper over 36 inches (minimum length for entry) was caught/entered. Several years ago I was involved in a suggestion for the fall version of this tournament to remove striped bass as a kill species for entry (but not to prevent anglers from harvesting a fish they were to enter) and I was demonized for "seeking to ruin the tournament" by several people involved. I was told that there is nothing wrong with the striped bass population, and so on. Sure this spring has been off for a number of reasons, but if somewhere in the range of 35 to 50 anglers fishing the RI surf for 2 days and nights can't land a 36" fish or better, then I find it hard to believe that everything is fine.

We had seven teams participate:
RIMS, Narragansett Surfcasters, Hartford Surfcasters, Newport Surfcasters, Weekapaug Surfcasters, Pioneer Valley Boat and Surf Fishing Club, RISSA Surfcasters

The raffle raised $130 plus entry fees, $655 will be donated to Johnny Cake Center.

No bass were entered.

RIMS 1st Place
Bluefish 5.44, 5.02, 3.41=13.87lbs.

Biggest Bluefish 5.44lbs $100 Narrow River Rods
5.02, 3.41, 2.48, 2.27, 1.99, 2.16

RISAA 2nd Place
Bluefish 1.82, 1.76, 1.70=5.28

I thank you all for participating. Anytime you can have fun fishing and raise money for a charity, doesn't get any better than that.
Have a good summer and fish hard and be SAFE!

RIROCKHOUND
06-20-2017, 12:00 PM
Sure this spring has been off for a number of reasons, but if somewhere in the range of 35 to 50 anglers fishing the RI surf for 2 days and nights can't land a 36" fish or better, then I find it hard to believe that everything is fine.

The future ain't what it used to be....

bassballer
06-20-2017, 12:23 PM
Wow!!!, the last year i fished in this tourney we (NPT) I think weighed in 2 fish over 35#, and 1 around 29#. With a bunch of other good size fish taken through the weekend.

Nebe
06-20-2017, 02:45 PM
Keep killin em boys. Good job!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

piemma
06-20-2017, 03:40 PM
Narr Bay was hot early this AM (I mean real early in a downpour). 5 fish over 20#. All on swimming plugs on top. I was not in the surf but in my boat.
I know the surf has sucked but maybe the fish are just late. The fish I got this AM all had sea lice so they were fresh.

tlapinski
06-20-2017, 03:52 PM
Narr Bay was hot early this AM (I mean real early in a downpour). 5 fish over 20#. All on swimming plugs on top. I was not in the surf but in my boat.
I know the surf has sucked but maybe the fish are just late. The fish I got this AM all had sea lice so they were fresh.

I've been out in the surf 12 times in the last 30 days and landed 5 striped bass total. My first two were over 30 pounds, then a 47# followed by one about 20# and my last fish was a measly 26". Sure things could just be behind, but if so then they are really behind. That said, I am still holding out hope for it to somehow get back on track and normalize unless this is the new normal.

JohnR
06-21-2017, 07:18 AM
A combination of factors from weather to weather to weather but also a reduction in the fish.

Toby - the stand was worth making and still is.

Rockfish9
06-21-2017, 08:37 AM

that's nice to hear... I'm holding out hope on the new moon due to the timing of it ... the July full could be special as well.. it's been slim pickings up our way for anything over 10lbs... there are a few good fish...very few... all the 22-26" fish you want...but it sure aint like old times.

JFigliuolo
06-21-2017, 08:43 AM
I (along with Eben) was one of the VERY first to say that things were not looking good. I was rediculed and told to fish harder, move around, change tactics, etc...

It saddens me when fisherman whose abilities I respect and admire are coming up short.

ProfessorM
06-21-2017, 09:10 AM
And it is about to get
much worse next week. Let the stacking begin.

Cool Beans
06-21-2017, 09:34 AM
Keep killin em boys. Good job!

I love this site! a fishing site that screams "Fish Killer! Fish Killer!"
WTF

piemma
06-22-2017, 02:34 AM
WTF

That's just Eben. You will go crazy if you listen to him. A month or so back he was accusing me of being a spot burner because I was naming general locations. He's just busting balls.

And like the Professor said, "wait till next week" when comm opens in Mass. They will be killing bass at a record rate in the CCC because that's where the fish have consistently been this year.

I have given up on being a conservationist.

"KILLEM' ALL! LET GOD SORT THEM OUT"!

bassballer
06-22-2017, 06:18 AM
I have given up on being a conservationist.

"KILLEM' ALL! LET GOD SORT THEM OUT"!

Can't beatem, join em Paul. Killin for a livin! Might as well make gas money while were out there!

:lurk::lurk::lurk::shocked::shocked:

Nebe
06-22-2017, 06:31 AM
:hihi:

piemma
06-22-2017, 07:13 AM
Can't beatem, join em Paul. Killin for a livin! Might as well make gas money while were out there!

:lurk::lurk::lurk::shocked::shocked:

:claps::claps::claps::claps:

bart
06-22-2017, 08:14 AM
Dead 40-60+# fish coming over the rails at the Block everyday by rod and reel or speargun can't be a good thing.

zimmy
06-22-2017, 10:51 AM
WTF

Wtf? It is pretty obvious. If all the fish are dead there won't be a fishing site anymore. And the fishing ain't what it was because a large percentage of the fishers got ego problems and need to impress their buddies with pics of their kill. Alot of them are probably the same guys who hang those rubber neuticles from their trucks.

bloocrab
06-22-2017, 01:35 PM
..... If all the fish are dead there won't be a fishing site anymore. ........

:hs: - :screwy:.........You're greatly mistaken, this USED to be a fishing site, not no more.

We've since moved on to huggin' trees, erecting Piper sanctuaries, adopt-a-seal-athon, and getting everyone politically correct.

If you be looking for a fishing website, This (http://www.dummies.com/sports/fishing/fishing-for-dummies-cheat-sheet/)is where you should be.

Oh, almost forgot.....even if the fish do run out....you can still come here to learn how to build some kick-Azzz fishing lures (that you can put in a display case and never fish!!! :happy:

zimmy
06-22-2017, 04:13 PM
Sounds like Facebook be what you are looking for.

Sea Dangles
06-22-2017, 09:53 PM
:hs: - :screwy:.........You're greatly mistaken, this USED to be a fishing site, not no more.

We've since moved on to huggin' trees, erecting Piper sanctuaries, adopt-a-seal-athon, and getting everyone politically correct.

If you be looking for a fishing website, This (http://www.dummies.com/sports/fishing/fishing-for-dummies-cheat-sheet/)is where you should be.

Oh, almost forgot.....even if the fish do run out....you can still come here to learn how to build some kick-Azzz fishing lures (that you can put in a display case and never fish!!! :happy:

🔨🔨🔨
Great post, love democrats who impart their beliefs on you regarding legal activities and think you should care. Take what you are entitled to and there will be no problems.

zimmy
06-23-2017, 10:47 AM
You guys are confused. The thread was started about poor fishing. People made comments about the state of fishing. All fishing related posts on a fishing website. You just get your panties in a bunch cause you don't like the thread and it doesn't meet what you think fishing discussions should be about. Looks like nebe hurt some feelings.

piemma
06-23-2017, 01:34 PM
Dead 40-60+# fish coming over the rails at the Block everyday by rod and reel or speargun can't be a good thing.

Don't worry about it. There'll be a moratorium in a couple of years, the stocks will come back and everything will be OK.:humpty:

bloocrab
06-23-2017, 02:06 PM
You guys are confused. The thread was started about poor fishing. People made comments about the state of fishing. All fishing related posts on a fishing website. You just get your panties in a bunch cause you don't like the thread and it doesn't meet what you think fishing discussions should be about. Looks like nebe hurt some feelings.

Zimmy....Let's get one thing straight, ...I wear a thong, so my panties...as you called them, could never bunch up. I'm not sure if Dangles wears the French or High Cut, but I'll let him answer for himself..

Look...:bshake:....can't you see the dental floss?? No? Get a little closer to the screen...it's there, I promise,,,. Clammer picked out the color for me...

Secondly, no hurt feelings at all....I actually find it comical how people who fish (with hooks, snaggers, trebbles, etc) are so concerned about hurting or possibly killing a fish. I think people who feel so strongly about killing a fish, should straighten the hooks on their lures. I say straighten so that the weight of the lure doesn't change, affecting the action. They'll still experience the "hit"...and maybe, just maybe...the fish will hold on long enough to feel a little battle. Then they can go home happy KNOWING they caused no injury to the fish...cept for maybe breaking a bluefish tooth,

Like I said, this site went from all avenues of catching striped-bass...the "how", "when", (the "where" was and should always be dicey)............to "Oh my, someone kept a fish or two? They KILLED a fish??...didn't they just KILL a fish last month?" Get over yourselves already!!!

Look, I'm totally against being irresponsible when it comes to fishing...I release my fish carefully, I don't cull, I'll quickly cut the line if I feel the hook removal is going to delay or affect the health of the fish. I crush my barbs for easier removals...I do what I can, not that I need to explain myself to anyone...just sharing that I'm not a complete Ahole, well maybe I am?? I dunno.
However, I ALSO PLAN ON KILLING SOME FISH.....YES, I PLAN ON IT.
I sure as heck ain't gonna eat em alive....I don't even like sushi...so the fish has to die....and guess what? I'm ok with that.

Can this site sustain both types of people?
I dunno....what I do know is this, the more this site navigates away from the basics of fishing, which yes, involves possibly killing fish....the sooner you guys who don't kill fish or catch fish, whatever.....will have what you want.
Sidenote: if the guys that actually catch fish stop coming to this site, how are the guys who can't catch fish gonna learn anything???

Peace brother...no mal-intent meant by anything above.
Sharing is caring....:love:

bloocrab
06-23-2017, 02:15 PM
Getting back on topic, I can't say I've had the same experience as Toby....nor the surf-fishermen that had poor luck the weekend of the Surf-Club Challenge.

I'm not fishing nearly close to what I used to fish prior to having child....but I've actually had the opposite result this spring....It's June 23rd and I've caught more fish over 20#s than fish under 28"????
Just lucky to be at the right places at the right times.....what a lot of self-called experts tend to forget...is that "fish have fins".
Yeah, maybe a lot of guys are posting about how bad fishing has been for them.......and maybe, just maybe....the guys who are having much success, are not posting about it........at all. Ever think about that?

Thumper
06-23-2017, 02:41 PM
Getting back on topic, I can't say I've had the same experience as Toby....nor the surf-fishermen that had poor luck the weekend of the Surf-Club Challenge.

I'm not fishing nearly close to what I used to fish prior to having child....but I've actually had the opposite result this spring....It's June 23rd and I've caught more fish over 20#s than fish under 28"????
Just lucky to be at the right places at the right times.....what a lot of self-called experts tend to forget...is that "fish have fins".
Yeah, maybe a lot of guys are posting about how bad fishing has been for them.......and maybe, just maybe....the guys who are having much success, are not posting about it........at all. Ever think about that?

Bingo. It is always better to be an unknown.

Clammer
06-23-2017, 03:12 PM
no worries here .I,m classified as a dirty old man soooooooooo no one would pay any attention too me ><> :humpty::humpty:

Sea Dangles
06-23-2017, 09:17 PM

I am just tired of dikkeds who try to tell others not to kill. It is food you know.

bassballer
06-24-2017, 07:47 AM
I am just tired of dikkeds who try to tell others not to kill. It is food you know.

I agree. To each his own. Release a bunch, kill a bunch, just stay within the regs. If your worried about hurting fish, and the survival rate of a hard fought fish, maybe the sport of driving a set of table hooks though a fish's face isn't for you.

numbskull
06-24-2017, 08:15 AM
I thought "neuticle" was a scientific term for marriage?

zimmy
06-24-2017, 09:20 PM
I thought "neuticle" was a scientific term for marriage?

That and what Sea dangles from his truck :ss::love: it is food is pretty funny though. It is what a physicist calls a simplification, but it is a good one.

fishbones
06-25-2017, 08:24 AM
I haven't been fishing nearly as much as I have in the past, and it's been my best spring in years. My friends and I have been getting into tons of fish in all size classes from micros to cows. They guys who aren't catching should try fishing different spots. Unless you like having an excuse for not catching, because then you can come on here and complain and make snarky comments directed at guys who legally keep fish they've caught.

bart
06-25-2017, 09:20 AM
I think it's been a great year, too. I haven't fished too much and I've still done pretty well. Same with my friends, micros to cows.

I think the biggest problem with inshore RI fishing is that there isn't any big bait to hold the fish. Micro sand eels aren't going to keep large fish around. Also, the water quality is lacking in RI, IMO. You can just tell by the difference in the appearance of the fish compared to other locales.

I still don't think it's a good thing that big fish get taken everyday at the island. I'm just speaking logistically, not morally or ethically. I just don't see how those fish can take the beating they do, year after year. There can't be an endless supply of large... or maybe there is?

Off topic, but to Bassballer's point, I'm not sure I enjoy driving hooks into a fish's face just for my own enjoyment anymore. I've been going back and forth on this the last couple of years...that's for a different thread, though.

piemma
06-25-2017, 10:23 AM
My last comment on this topic. I have done what we do for over 50 years. Yeah, I was comm in the 70s. Yeah, I killed a ton of Bass in the 50+ years I have been doing it.

I went through a period the last few years when I didn't kill anything and I had plenty of fish in the 20s, 30s and a few 40s that I certainly could have killed with out a sec of guilt but I didn't to try and protect the species.

Last year I became aware of the biomass of large fish that are being killed daily by the charter guys, the comm guys from at least 2 states and anyone else who goes to the SW Ledge and 3 ways eels in 60 feet of water. More 40s, 50s and 60s killed in a weekend than most of us have seen in 50 years of 100 nights a year.

So what the hell am I protecting by letting my 1/2 a dozen 30s go every year? NOTHING!

My point is as long as Stripers are considered a food fish and not a game fish with game fish protected status like Tarpon and Snook,
my small contribution to conservation is a piss hole in the snow.

I'm not saying that I am killing every fish I catch.....far from it. I am taking a fish for the table for my family, for a friend or for a cookout we are invited to. My letting every fish go does nothing for the bigger picture. JMO

Clammer
06-25-2017, 11:22 AM
I guess all the knowledge I thought I learned by paying my dues day & night for years ,,,didn,t count .

as of this week IMO the bass fishing in the bay totally sucks ...................... even the slug of 26 to 33" fish have moved off for the most part ><><

I guess I have to try some new places or ya can,t catch what ain,t there :fishin:

chris L
06-25-2017, 05:09 PM
its like girls in the head . chat chat chat #^&#^&#^&#^& chat #^&#^&#^&#^&

bart
06-25-2017, 06:13 PM
I guess all the knowledge I thought I learned by paying my dues day & night for years ,,,didn,t count .

as of this week IMO the bass fishing in the bay totally sucks ...................... even the slug of 26 to 33" fish have moved off for the most part ><><

I guess I have to try some new places or ya can,t catch what ain,t there :fishin:

Mike, respectfully, are there river herring, sea herring, macks, big sand eels, and pogies in the Bay? How warm are the water temps? Again, I ask respectfully bc I know how long you've fished the Bay. I just don't see why big fish would hold in Narragansett Bay when they can blast right by and chase big, cold water prey for a whole season.

Clammer
06-25-2017, 07:17 PM
there is more pogies in the bay now than in along , long time ..they even winter over .
there has been good runs of buckies the last few years & with some of the damns taken down and/or ladders they are getting into the rivers & ponds to spawn .

we also have a natural supply of wild eels. & descent amount of squid & butterfish .

what seems to be missing / more & more each year is the holdover small bait .mummies / grass shrimp .

we will have rain bait & peanut bunker as the season progresses .
We have noticed the change in bait & a change of a few of the fisheries .ever since they made the sewerage tunnel ......whatever they are dumping in the bay ............... the water is a lot cleaner for humans ...but again IMO ..it is doing something to the fisheries / not just fin fish / but the breeding grounds for the baitfish & also add the shellfish stock .

oh well ......its just another issue not being considered ., fix one thing /fu ck up another :gorez:

Vogt
06-26-2017, 07:40 AM
If your worried about hurting fish, and the survival rate of a hard fought fish, maybe the sport of driving a set of table hooks though a fish's face isn't for you.

:claps:

THANK YOU! Perfectly stated.

JohnR
06-26-2017, 08:06 AM
Balance Danielson, Balance.

A sportsman learns to conserve and act on behalf of their quarry.

Nebe
06-26-2017, 08:07 AM
I agree. To each his own. Release a bunch, kill a bunch, just stay within the regs. If your worried about hurting fish, and the survival rate of a hard fought fish, maybe the sport of driving a set of table hooks though a fish's face isn't for you.

Did dangles call me a #^&#^&#^&#^&head? That's an honor coming from him :hihi:

For the record I have all but abandoned catch and release fishing because of exactly what you have said. If I do want a bass for the table I will use the methods necessary to avoid small fish and will kill the first fish I land and stop fishing.

But that's just me.

Sea Dangles
06-26-2017, 08:38 AM
I was not referring to you Nebe. Just pointing out the hypocrisy as a whole. FWIW I have not killed a striped bass this year,but I plan on taking what I am entitled to when the time comes without apology.

Nebe
06-26-2017, 08:53 AM
I was not referring to you Nebe. Just pointing out the hypocrisy as a whole. FWIW I have not killed a striped bass this year,but I plan on taking what I am entitled to when the time comes without apology.
Same here.

piemma
06-26-2017, 12:11 PM
For the record I have all but abandoned catch and release fishing because of exactly what you have said. If I do want a bass for the table I will use the methods necessary to avoid small fish and will kill the first fish I land and stop fishing.

But that's just me.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device[/QUOTE]

That is exactly what I said in my post Eben!:eyes:

Clammer
06-26-2017, 12:13 PM
I don,t think ya gonna have to worry ><><

Nebe
06-26-2017, 01:08 PM

But that's just me.

That is exactly what I said in my post Eben!:eyes:[/QUOTE]

A pat on the back to you too.

It is a FACT that there are people out there who kill big fish for the photo op and the tackleshop show and tell trips who end up tossing a beautiful breeder in a dumpster our in the woods. You and I both know one or more of them. That is my beef.

Sea Dangles
06-26-2017, 03:15 PM
That is exactly what I said in my post Eben!:eyes:

It is a FACT that there are people out there who kill big fish for the photo op and the tackleshop show and tell trips who end up tossing a beautiful breeder in a dumpster our in the woods. You and I both know one or more of them. That is my beef.
It is just a phase

piemma
06-26-2017, 03:24 PM

It is just a phase

Indeed we do Chris.

numbskull
06-26-2017, 03:27 PM
It is stupid to kill a large (say #25 and over) to eat unless you plan to only eat one meal from it and give away the rest.

It is stupid for a lot of reasons that many people do not care about but there is ONE reason that even the most selfish of us should care about..

Toxin levels in older (i.e., large) fish are often significantly higher than in younger fish.......and can be VERY high in 10-20% of the larger fish in that subset (just go look at the sample data on which the recommendations are made....I have). Yeah I know you want to blow this off but before doing so consider what it means. If you eat multiple meals from one of those larger fish that is in the high toxin range you get multiple repeated exposures to the high toxin level. Maybe you're OK with that but you are a flat out idiot if you assume your wife and children should also be OK with that and you are an even bigger idiot for not protecting them from it.

The recommended levels of striped bass consumption are based on average, not peak toxin levels. This works to protect you ONLY if you buy fish in a restaurant or a fish market since over the course of the season you get exposed to fish with both high and low toxin levels which average out (no one gets poisoned by eating a single meal from any striped bass). It DOES NOT WORK if you catch and keep your own LARGE fish then eat multiple meals from that fish and that certainly can expose you to toxin levels far above what the guidelines assume. Doing so, therefore, is just flat out stupid and a disservice to those who love and trust you (particularly if they are growing children).

It is what it is. Better to kill and eat multiple fish closer to 28" than a single big fish......unless, as stated above, you plan to only make a single meal from the big fish.

And one further note. Do not buy into the bullsht posted on line about toxin levels all being in the organs, skin, or red meat of a fish (the "they grind the whole thing up to test it" fallacy....fishery biologists might do this but Health Departments do not). As an MD, I spoke directly with the State Health Dept several years ago and they where very clear that their testing was done only on samples from fillets.

piemma
06-26-2017, 03:30 PM
One other thought. When the moratorium kicked in in 88 or 89, we couldn't keep any bass. Then it went to one at 36". I remember how the beaches were literally empty of surf fishermen. I wonder how many of our younger peers will fish when a moratorium kicks in (which I am willing to bet it will) since they will not be allowed to keep any.
I still have an old lami surf rod with a wrap at 36" and another added when we went down to 34" in 92.
I may be misquoting but I think it goes "history is destined to repeat itself".

numbskull
06-26-2017, 03:35 PM
One other thought. When the moratorium kicked in in 88 or 89, we couldn't keep any bass. Then it went to one at 36". I remember how the beaches were literally empty of surf fishermen. I wonder how many of our younger peers will fish when a moratorium kicks in (which I am willing to bet it will) since they will not be allowed to keep any.
I still have an old lami surf rod with a wrap at 36" and another added when we went down to 34" in 92.
I may be misquoting but I think it goes "history is destined to repeat itself".

There will not be a moratorium. The 2011 year class took care of that. The real issue will be the lack of quality fish in decent numbers until those 2011 fish mature (not that they'll likely get the chance) since there is not much in the pipeline ahead of them based on the Chesapeake YOY estimates and population sampling (although I think we also see a lot of Hudson fish in our fishery which might provide some relief).

Nebe
06-26-2017, 05:04 PM
Paul- the quote is "Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it"

Sea Dangles
06-26-2017, 08:42 PM
It is stupid to kill a large (say #25 and over) to eat unless you plan to only eat one meal from it and give away the rest.

It is stupid for a lot of reasons that many people do not care about but there is ONE reason that even the most selfish of us should care about..

Toxin levels in older (i.e., large) fish are often significantly higher than in younger fish.......and can be VERY high in 10-20% of the larger fish in that subset (just go look at the sample data on which the recommendations are made....I have). Yeah I know you want to blow this off but before doing so consider what it means. If you eat multiple meals from one of those larger fish that is in the high toxin range you get multiple repeated exposures to the high toxin level. Maybe you're OK with that but you are a flat out idiot if you assume your wife and children should also be OK with that and you are an even bigger idiot for not protecting them from it.

The recommended levels of striped bass consumption are based on average, not peak toxin levels. This works to protect you ONLY if you buy fish in a restaurant or a fish market since over the course of the season you get exposed to fish with both high and low toxin levels which average out (no one gets poisoned by eating a single meal from any striped bass). It DOES NOT WORK if you catch and keep your own LARGE fish then eat multiple meals from that fish and that certainly can expose you to toxin levels far above what the guidelines assume. Doing so, therefore, is just flat out stupid and a disservice to those who love and trust you (particularly if they are growing children).

It is what it is. Better to kill and eat multiple fish closer to 28" than a single big fish......unless, as stated above, you plan to only make a single meal from the big fish.

And one further note. Do not buy into the bullsht posted on line about toxin levels all being in the organs, skin, or red meat of a fish (the "they grind the whole thing up to test it" fallacy....fishery biologists might do this but Health Departments do not). As an MD, I spoke directly with the State Health Dept several years ago and they where very clear that their testing was done only on samples from fillets.
George, I can only speak for myself but between chips, ice cream,Monsanto veggies,chicken and beef on roids,I have to wonder if a meal from a 28# bass will hold a candle when it comes to ingesting something "unhealthy ". Most restaurants are looking for the big ones because of superior yield. I honestly have no idea what could be on the label for most supermarket products but I have raised three kids on fruit roll ups(they have no fruit,just coloring and crap)! That said, I am a gardening fanatic and go to great means to grow organically.

piemma
06-28-2017, 05:04 AM
Breaking tides at the Ditch this week. I'm betting it's an absolute zoo.

bloocrab
06-28-2017, 10:33 AM
Breaking tides at the Ditch this week. I'm betting it's an absolute zoo.

Absolutely!!! My buddy just shot me text, some guy caught a keeper at pole # 72.....it was 29 1/2 inches.......he killed it. :crying:

bloocrab
06-28-2017, 12:39 PM
Balance Danielson, Balance.

A sportsman learns to conserve and act on behalf of their quarry.

For the "sportsman" /recreational fisherman, I believe the sanctions set in place for the protection of most local species are sufficient to sustain or at least maintain a healthy stock level. So even for those who cannot police themselves, the laws are there.

IMO, the recreational sector is not the problem...it's the poor management of the commercial sector that's hurting stock levels.
When Mr. Cashuss Coin comes into the equation, that's when things get dicey.....Bottom Trawling, Mid-water Trawling, Dredging, Gill-netting, Long-lining, Purse Seining, Shore-worked Seine netting, Pots, Traps, Charter Boats, whatever else I missed, and let's not forget BY-CATCH!
I don't like bringing up problems without possible solutions, but I honestly don't believe there's a viable solution for this. Why? Because I also believe that they have the right to make a living (legally).

What's wrong is when people try to compare the two....you simply can not. Not on the scale of intake nor the scale of damage done. How many recreational fishermen would it take, to equate the damage done by one haul of a bottom trawler? Incomparable.
What would you compare the bycatch of any large fishing vessel to... when applying it to the recreational sector? Gut-hooked fish? Improperly released C&R fish? It's ridiculously impossible to compare the two...

Then there are the independent Comm. guys....no officer on board to keep watch, no one back at the dock to inspect their catch....they don't go to market, they have their back-pocket mom&pop fish-markets ready and willing to save a buck by disregarding the laws....again, it's when money gets involved that things go amok.

Before I start making Comm. enemies, ....let me just add that I'm sure there are more honest comm. guys then dishonest....and yes, there are plenty of dishonest Rec. fishermen as well....but the scale is still incomparable. I still consider a non-commercially-Licensed fisherman selling to a back-door shop, a comm. guy....if you're profiting financially from fish, your a comm. guy...regardless of license or not....so a true dishonest Rec. guy is basically a guy keeping shorts or more than the bag-limit allows, again incomparable...IMO

So when you tree-huggin', farm-raised fish eating fishermen belittle the guy who keeps his legal limit each time out or whenever he chooses, you're not doing any of us any good. We'll never be on the same team if we continue to fight withiin our own kitchens. Our voices will never be truly united if we don't understand each other. I think those of us who keep and eat local fish understand the C&R guys....the only bad thing I think you're doing is picking on us because you think if we keep our legal limit, we're killing the stocks...:hs:

I know I'm an Ahole, but I respect our fishery...I practice C&R, I don't cull fish, I cut lines when/if I feel I can't remove my hooks in a timely manner or in such a way that would further hurt the fish, I don't field-goal-kick my C&R's back in, I always take whatever care and time it takes to do my best in setting them free...I've missed plenty of blitzing fish because of this...but I'm ok with that...and NO, I don't need to explain myself to any of you, but before you guys start with your "Fish-Kill" bull#^&#^&#^&#^&, think before you start typing...stop being a bully behind a keyboard trying to make us feel like we're doing something wrong....instead, come out into the real arena and tell me I shouldn't take a fish home to eat, see where that gets you.

:doh:...Now let's toss in medicine/health as a way to sway people on why we shouldn't keep fish...really?
So I should release a hard fought 30# bass, which may not make it...in hopes of catching an easily caught 30" bass because it's less harmful for me? What should I be more concerned for at that point? The health of the 30# bass or my own? Or should we take a poll to see what the consensus is? :smash:

I comfortably fish with the understanding that I'm going to hurt fish, I'm going to kill fish, I'm going to eat fish. It's all part of WHY I fish.

**Apologies to Toby as I know this isn't the direction that he had hoped for in starting this thread...

fishbones
06-28-2017, 01:19 PM
For the "sportsman" /recreational fisherman, I believe the sanctions set in place for the protection of most local species are sufficient to sustain or at least maintain a healthy stock level. So even for those who cannot police themselves, the laws are there.

IMO, the recreational sector is not the problem...it's the poor management of the commercial sector that's hurting stock levels.
When Mr. Cashuss Coin comes into the equation, that's when things get dicey.....Bottom Trawling, Mid-water Trawling, Dredging, Gill-netting, Long-lining, Purse Seining, Shore-worked Seine netting, Pots, Traps, Charter Boats, whatever else I missed, and let's not forget BY-CATCH!
I don't like bringing up problems without possible solutions, but I honestly don't believe there's a viable solution for this. Why? Because I also believe that they have the right to make a living (legally).

What's wrong is when people try to compare the two....you simply can not. Not on the scale of intake nor the scale of damage done. How many recreational fishermen would it take, to equate the damage done by one haul of a bottom trawler? Incomparable.
What would you compare the bycatch of any large fishing vessel to... when applying it to the recreational sector? Gut-hooked fish? Improperly released C&R fish? It's ridiculously impossible to compare the two...

Then there are the independent Comm. guys....no officer on board to keep watch, no one back at the dock to inspect their catch....they don't go to market, they have their back-pocket mom&pop fish-markets ready and willing to save a buck by disregarding the laws....again, it's when money gets involved that things go amok.

Before I start making Comm. enemies, ....let me just add that I'm sure there are more honest comm. guys then dishonest....and yes, there are plenty of dishonest Rec. fishermen as well....but the scale is still incomparable. I still consider a non-commercially-Licensed fisherman selling to a back-door shop, a comm. guy....if you're profiting financially from fish, your a comm. guy...regardless of license or not....so a true dishonest Rec. guy is basically a guy keeping shorts or more than the bag-limit allows, again incomparable...IMO

So when you tree-huggin', farm-raised fish eating fishermen belittle the guy who keeps his legal limit each time out or whenever he chooses, you're not doing any of us any good. We'll never be on the same team if we continue to fight withiin our own kitchens. Our voices will never be truly united if we don't understand each other. I think those of us who keep and eat local fish understand the C&R guys....the only bad thing I think you're doing is picking on us because you think if we keep our legal limit, we're killing the stocks...:hs:

I know I'm an Ahole, but I respect our fishery...I practice C&R, I don't cull fish, I cut lines when/if I feel I can't remove my hooks in a timely manner or in such a way that would further hurt the fish, I don't field-goal-kick my C&R's back in, I always take whatever care and time it takes to do my best in setting them free...I've missed plenty of blitzing fish because of this...but I'm ok with that...and NO, I don't need to explain myself to any of you, but before you guys start with your "Fish-Kill" bull#^&#^&#^&#^&, think before you start typing...stop being a bully behind a keyboard trying to make us feel like we're doing something wrong....instead, come out into the real arena and tell me I shouldn't take a fish home to eat, see where that gets you.

:doh:...Now let's toss in medicine/health as a way to sway people on why we shouldn't keep fish...really?
So I should release a hard fought 30# bass, which may not make it...in hopes of catching an easily caught 30" bass because it's less harmful for me? What should I be more concerned for at that point? The health of the 30# bass or my own? Or should we take a poll to see what the consensus is? :smash:

I comfortably fish with the understanding that I'm going to hurt fish, I'm going to kill fish, I'm going to eat fish. It's all part of WHY I fish.

**Apologies to Toby as I know this isn't the direction that he had hoped for in starting this thread...

Great post!!!

Clammer
06-28-2017, 01:35 PM
G I L L Y ><><<><><:lm:

numbskull
06-28-2017, 04:11 PM

Please don't put words into my mouth.

I didn't say you shouldn't keep fish. I've got nothing against keeping fish to eat, nor am I trying to take some sort of sanctimonious high ground. I eat my share and certainly kill far more with C&R.

I simply said you shouldn't feed your family MULTIPLE meals from any single large fish (or more accurately, that you are "stupid" if you do so) and I spelled out why.

There is a reason why pregnant women and children under 12 are advised to not eat ANY striped bass and other people are told to limit their consumption to just 8 oz/month (or 8oz 4x/year in some states). Indeed, RI advises against ANYONE eating any amount of striped bass.

So, bloocrab and fishbones, if the "safe" level of consumption for adults is either zero or just 8 oz/month (or less) why in God's name would you want to make multiple meals from a #30 fish, particularly when there is strong reason to expect that large fish has more toxins than the "average" fish on which the state recommendations are based?

fishbones
06-28-2017, 05:31 PM
[QUOTE=numbskull;1124290

So, bloocrab and fishbones, if the "safe" level of consumption for adults is either zero or just 8 oz/month (or less) why in God's name would you want to make multiple meals from a #30 fish, particularly when there is strong reason to expect that large fish has more toxins than the "average" fish on which the state recommendations are based?[/QUOTE]

George, please don't put words in my mouth. I never said anything about the health effects of eating stripers. I don't eat it myself, and the couple of fish I keep per year go to my mom and my mother in law. I release 99% of the bass I catch and I do my best to make sure they survive. Saying that bloocrabs post was excellent doesn't mean I agree with the entire thing.

Thumper
06-28-2017, 07:04 PM
Whoa, you guys need to find some fish and get laid...

Clammer
06-28-2017, 07:20 PM
Me .I,d rather find some woman :& get laid ><><>:bshake::humpty:

bloocrab
06-28-2017, 07:50 PM
Please don't put words into my mouth.

I didn't say you shouldn't keep fish.....////....why in God's name would you want to make multiple meals from a #30 fish, particularly when there is strong reason to expect that large fish has more toxins than the "average" fish on which the state recommendations are based?

numbskull, I'll leave the original post as is...but toss my edit here...
"...let's toss in medicine/health as a way to sway people on why we shouldn't keep (big) fish (or rather fish over 30#s)..."
Perhaps I should have worded it that way? Not that I was trying to be offensive, but perhaps you would have found that less of a conviction?

Look, if my intent on a particular outing is to bring a fish home for whatever reason, the first fish caught is getting hung, that completes the first task, leaving the second task to enjoy whatever else happens during that outing...would I prefer a 30" fish over a 30# fish for consumption? Absolutely!...but again, if my intent was to bring a fish home that night/day,... first come - first go....w/a bit of sarcasm, Perhaps I'm not as talented as others that I can single out the size fish I'd like to have attack my offering (It's very rare that I'm not in big fish mode, perhaps that's an issue I have as well?)...or perhaps I'm not as patient as someone else... that I'd release the 30#er and wait for the 30"er? Do the health pros and cons come to mind at that point, honestly...no, and for good reason, at least to me...

When a large fish comes home, it gets filleted, bagged and dated. I keep some, I give some...I lay my pieces carefully so that when frozen, they are easily detached allowing me to take a single piece when desired. I'm not poisoning anyone but myself at this point, wife nor son enjoy eating striper. I'm not going to eat Striper 3 days in a row...(not for health reasons, I just don't care to anymore.)
However, there's a specific casserole that I make with striper (for gatherings) in which a lot of fish is used. Should I feel like I'm endangering my family & friends when I share it with them? I sure the hell don't and won't....I'm a God fearing man numbskull.....being that you capitalized His name in your reply, I'll be risque and assume you have some Faith as well. If God's divine plan has me die-ing or falling ill due to toxins from a piece of fish that I catch, then so be it. I'll accept that as the striper getting retribution...lol

I'd be lie-ing if I said that on every outing, I didn't want to catch the largest sized fish of whatever species I was targeting. I'm not sure what the term for that is right now, but I'm guilty of it. It's in my particular gene-pool...some don't have it I guess, or they lie about not having it, but I do? That doesn't mean that I want to take that fish home, it's more of an inner accomplishment for me....the out-doing of self. I wouldn't call it an ego thing, only because I don't go posting/or putting up selfies or what have you, but then maybe it's an inner-ego thing?? whatever//...But like I said earlier, and perhaps I should be more specific in species...if I plan on taking a Striper home for the table, first come ...first go.

To better address your remark of... "why would you want to make multiple meals from a 30# fish"....if the 30# fish got caught first that day, it's going to happen...I didn't "want" it, per say? It's how the cards fell....sorry, but that's how I look at it.

I think the bigger point being missed is the peer pressure being placed on the insecure or inexperienced fishermen out there...the ones who curdle when someone thought to be slightly respected in this sport make a comment. Some guys can't think for themselves...therefore they rely on the so-called "experts" to help guide their decision making. I'm sure there are people who used to enjoy eating/keeping striper who may keep less now due to what others say...yes, some people are just that weak. Sure, some feel they've become more responsible with the resource, more conservative, better educated, call it what you want....Kudos to them, to each their own.

I'm a greenhorn, strong-minded, strong-willed.....and even "stupid" to some....and that's OK too.

bloocrab
06-28-2017, 08:07 PM
Mike, getting laid is what got me into all my troubles!!!! :cens:
She wants another house.....I want another boat.
She told me to go smoke another one..........she got the house :huh:

All kidding aside, I enjoy a good debate (I try to keep it respectful)...my post wasn't a personal attack on anyone, apologies if it was read that way. I meant to generalize all those who discourage those of us who enjoy keeping their allotted limit.

Perhaps I should go back deeper into hibernation, and die quietly of Striper Intoxication...

zimmy
06-28-2017, 09:23 PM
stop being a bully behind a keyboard trying to make us feel like we're doing something wrong..
Pot meet kettle?

bloocrab
06-28-2017, 10:05 PM
Pot meet kettle?

Not exactly, my dear Watson...
I don't recall bullying anyone about practicing C&R or doing anything they want (within the law) with what they catch.
Simply trying to get the "Anti-Fish-Killer" attitude down a few degrees....

Cool Beans
06-29-2017, 08:48 AM
Fish are Food not Friends.

As for the level of toxins in fillets, I think you greatly reduce the level if you remove the lateral line. That darker softer section is where I believe fish store most metals, like iron or mercury. By storing the heavier minerals along the lateral line it assists them in migration like a built in compass. I think nature designed it to store iron, but a bycatch is mercury and other toxins.

I'm not sure if it reduces that much, but I always remove the dark meat along the lateral line from my fillets.

bloocrab
06-29-2017, 10:00 AM
....... I always remove the dark meat along the lateral line from my fillets.....

:claps::claps:....Me too, every last bit of it, and there's quite a LOT of it unfortunately.

And with all due respect to our Medic-friend, in regards to..."I spoke directly with the State Health Dept several years ago and they where very clear that their testing was done only on samples from fillets. "

When filleting a Striper, that "red-meat" IS part of the fillet. Was it removed? Who knows at this point....I do know that when I buy a fillet from the store, the "red-meat" or that area in general is NOT removed.