View Full Version : Fishing reports

Pages : 1 [2]

bobber
10-25-2017, 05:23 PM
just to get back on track......

I did 45 miles in LongIsland Sound a few days ago..... aside from a sporadic albie splash every coupla hours, it was a dead sea. never saw any birds, never marked a concentration of fish, never saw any big pods of bait. stopped at 10-12 spots that are fishy locations and had a few dink sea bass. caught 2 albies by mistake with trying for bass.....

deader than dead

fishgolf
10-25-2017, 05:44 PM
Hit a local bay up here on the South Shore. Looked dead. Rainy and windy, a few birds on the shore. Wondered if schoolies and bait were still around. 1st cast, fish. Caught 20 schoolies in an hour at the top of the tide. Still lots of bait and small fish in the warm bay water.

fishrick
10-26-2017, 07:29 AM
Bobber, lots of bait around, but got to be right time, right place, and just hope. Saw a ton of bait and schoolies yesterday afternoon, then hit it after dark in the rain, and had legal bass and up for over an hour...seems the older fish wait until dark, saw some keeper size in the blitz earlier, there were blues mixed in as well. Hope its just early....

bobber
10-26-2017, 02:24 PM
[QUOTE=fishrick;113
Hope its just early....[/QUOTE]

hope you're right......

fishgolf
10-26-2017, 05:56 PM
a few small fish at the top of the tide in the canal today. Red Top guy says its been slow the last couple weeks...

Rmarsh
10-28-2017, 06:52 AM
Caught a couple of very small stripers last night during the drop on first three casts, same for the guy with me.
Then went the next two hours without a bump.
Not putting my gear away just yet.. maybe 3 or 4 more trips.
Got into some pretty good daytime fishing from the beach this time last year.
Daylight savings next week? Dark at around 4:30? Winter Sucks!

piemma
10-28-2017, 07:54 AM
25 years ago we would fish the SOCo until Thanksgiving morning then head for the Block after turkey day. Usually all small fish in SoCo and better fish at the Block....some years.

spence
10-28-2017, 08:18 AM
25 years ago we would fish the SOCo until Thanksgiving morning then head for the Block after turkey day. Usually all small fish in SoCo and better fish at the Block....some years.
Hahahahahaha...Block Island in November...hahahahahahahha :1poke:

Got Stripers
10-28-2017, 02:29 PM
Tog, tog and more tog today in RI today, with some BSB mixed in, dinner is going to be good tonight. Glad to get a trip in before the blow, going to be some big surf the next couple of days with the weather they are predicting.

spence
10-28-2017, 02:39 PM
Still tons of bait in the upper Sakonnet.

basswipe
10-28-2017, 03:20 PM
Still tons of bait in the upper Sakonnet.

Yes there is.

Clammer
10-28-2017, 04:16 PM
Bob sorry , I didn,t get your message until a hour ago .

we were in front but it was getting ulgy & didn,t want to be there for the drop .......................way too many throwbacks .....we had 8 keepers but worked for them ..............Albies everywhere ,outside & in the bay ><><

ProfessorM
10-28-2017, 06:19 PM
Lots of small ones and still some decent bass along the Elizabeth’s
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

piemma
10-29-2017, 05:16 AM
Hahahahahaha...Block Island in November...hahahahahahahha :1poke:

As I recall, you had you PB at the time, at the SW Point the day after Thanksgiving and Oakley threw it back for you :rotf2::rotf2:

Rob Rockcrawler
10-29-2017, 06:54 AM
Had a decent togging trip yesterday in LIS around Saybrook area. 5 guys fishing, probably boated 200 tog and seabass. Brought 17 tog and 4 seabass back to the dock. Most of the keepers were in the 18-22" range. Fished in water right around 50'. Saw a bunch of albies as we were coming back in.

scottw
10-31-2017, 02:56 AM
pod after pod of albies were heading out of the bay for the two days prior to the storm,,,fascinating to watch them from shore but frustrating to cast to as they seem disinterested in anything thrown in their path...just a steady flow of gently porpoising emerald backed beauties

Guppy
11-01-2017, 07:34 PM
Third spot this morn landed on the mother load of tog... Went through close to a bucket of greeny's,,,, pulled up a real monster, lays him on the bench, pulls the hook out, flip flop , did a half gainer, splash..... SOB grrrrrr gone!

Hauls, runs home,takes all the rods off, loads the rakes and baskets, heads back out , rakes up limit.... Headed in, you know what I sees next? right?
Puts the glasses on the mouth of the harbor , sees clouds of birds and dummy me with no rods onboard .....

Drops off the boat back at the house , heads for the north side to empty and bait the greeny pot....

I wish I could get paid for all the fishing I do.... LOL

nightfighter
11-01-2017, 07:51 PM
Hmmmm still togging..... Where are you going out of these days Ray? I got the bug I think. How late do you all keep catching?

Got Stripers
11-01-2017, 08:48 PM
I have an invite from a friend for Friday, love to get some intel on the bite, send me a pm.

piemma
11-02-2017, 04:55 AM
Third spot this morn landed on the mother load of tog... Went through close to a bucket of greeny's,,,, pulled up a real monster, lays him on the bench, pulls the hook out, flip flop , did a half gainer, splash..... SOB grrrrrr gone!

Hauls, runs home,takes all the rods off, loads the rakes and baskets, heads back out , rakes up limit.... Headed in, you know what I sees next? right?
Puts the glasses on the mouth of the harbor , sees clouds of birds and dummy me with no rods onboard .....

Drops off the boat back at the house , heads for the north side to empty and bait the greeny pot....

I wish I could get paid for all the fishing I do.... LOL

You sure are ambitious. Good for you. I don't have "the fire in the belly" anymore to go that hard.

Guppy
11-02-2017, 06:06 AM
Hmmmm still togging..... Where are you going out of these days Ray? I got the bug I think. How late do you all keep catching?
South side CC, spot Ricky and I hit good last year two weeks earlier than his year, if I see a good weather day coming up I'll call ya,,,

I have an invite from a friend for Friday, love to get some intel on the bite, send me a pm.
Not sure if I can go tomorrow plus wind? I'll pm today

You sure are ambitious. Good for you. I don't have "the fire in the belly" anymore to go that hard.
Fire in the belly? More like num in the head... :-) :smash:

RIROCKHOUND
11-02-2017, 06:55 AM

We used to have some epic days when I was a kid well into December, and Tautog's logbook has great days in January from the old days.

As the stock has declined and pressure went up on them, it seems like the season has gotten shorter; it is basically over around Thanksgiving.

Ed B
11-02-2017, 11:32 AM
We used to have some epic days when I was a kid well into December, and Tautog's logbook has great days in January from the old days.

As the stock has declined and pressure went up on them, it seems like the season has gotten shorter; it is basically over around Thanksgiving.

Tautog just submitted a slip a couple weeks ago and is in first place with one at 10 lb 2oz. You'd better get out there and not let the old man show you he's still the Boss. :wave:

RickBomba
11-02-2017, 11:45 AM
First year in a long time to tog for Ricky. Next year.

Clammer
11-02-2017, 03:11 PM
<<<<<<<<<<< Albies were still in the bay today >>>>>>>>>>/<,/,

wdmso
11-02-2017, 03:25 PM
<<<<<<<<<<< Albies were still in the bay today >>>>>>>>>>/<,/,

guess i wont be unloading the boat tonight

numbskull
11-02-2017, 04:01 PM
Here's our hero with a bass from down the Elizabeths this past Sun, one of about 4-5 of this size he took (to my one). Found fish on Weds as well. Huge numbers of small fish in the harbors along lower BzBay. Still plenty of peanuts around and I've not seen the large bunker leave yet. I'm hopeful for another 10-12 days at least of worthwhile fishing.

Sea Dangles
11-02-2017, 04:03 PM
Cousin it

fishgolf
11-02-2017, 06:27 PM
Fished beaches yesterday and today. Acres of bait and schoolies from Pt. Judith to Watch Hill. Water temp 60. Great white water with the south and south east wind. Arms are falling off.

RIROCKHOUND
11-02-2017, 07:36 PM
Tautog just submitted a slip a couple weeks ago and is in first place with one at 10 lb 2oz. You'd better get out there and not let the old man show you he's still the Boss. :wave:

Trying. Hopefully the wind drops this weekend

Clammer
11-02-2017, 08:10 PM
RIR .its keeping me inside & the tide is unreal ><>
:cens:

numbskull
11-03-2017, 04:01 PM
Gave it a good try today on the lower Elizabeth's but only found small fish (and one big blue). Fog and stronger than forecast SW wind hampered things a bit.

Got Stripers
11-03-2017, 07:04 PM
Brought tons of crabs today to RI in the hopes it would be a repeat of last week, but oh what a difference a storm makes, skunked on tog and just lots of rat sea bass. Might be calling it a season aside from some inshore holdover spots I might try, before a few fresh water trips to wrap up the year.

Clammer
11-03-2017, 08:52 PM
Bob I told ya to wait ><> no worries ><>

Cool Beans
11-03-2017, 09:03 PM
there are no fish left.. LOL shrink wrap and go home ;)

numbskull
11-05-2017, 06:58 AM
Impromptu trip yesterday. @ noon a neighbor informed me about a mass of birds and breaking fish way out off my local beach and only about a mile from my harbor. Grabbed a rod, the dog, Sauerkraut (in that order) and hopped on the boat. Beat into a stiff NE wind and found everything had stopped. Decided to try WH which was quiet and too much tide to fish right. Had Sauerkraut and the dog all eager to fish, while my heart wasn't in it. Said effit, pushed up the throttle and flew a dozen miles down to Quicks. Put the boat on a drift while SK casting with his 6' drop (on an 8' rod!) repeatedly tries to hook my ear. Almost too much cross wind to work plugs, lousy weather pattern, don't want to be there, too rough, and BANG........Sauerkraut hooks a decent, as in borderline #20, fish that puts him immediately in the rocks. Save his butt with some boat handling, circle back, and mackerel (?) start flying out of the water with bass in pursuit. Spend the next 2 hours catching fish (tiny-15#) and having a blast. Turn into the NE blow to head home, expecting to be beat up, and find that the full moon tide with the wind has flattened things out nicely. Easy run home, kept a fish for winter fishcakes, dog happy, wife happy, SK happy, I'm happy. In the late fall you just never know.

Sea Dangles
11-05-2017, 08:09 AM
Well done George,I pulled the boat this week. It was the earliest I had pulled it but I had enough. I had moved to Scituate to close out the season chasing Charlie. Last trip was Saturday where Tony(remember Goose?) and I had another lucky catch out on the bank. As usual the fishing was outstanding in October out there and the weather gave plenty of shots to give it a try. This last trip produced the best eater with a belly full of bacon

Guppy
11-05-2017, 10:51 AM
Brought tons of crabs today to RI in the hopes it would be a repeat of last week, but oh what a difference a storm makes, skunked on tog and just lots of rat sea bass. Might be calling it a season aside from some inshore holdover spots I might try, before a few fresh water trips to wrap up the year.

you had the wrong crabs ... :-)
Don't give up,,,, if the wind ever drops we'll go down here if you want

Guppy
11-05-2017, 10:58 AM
Great read George....
I'm still geared up on the trailer and just waiting for the wind to drop off....
it aint over til my wife says it's over... :-)

Rockfish9
11-06-2017, 09:40 AM
Nice report George. ...some times the best trips happen when your heart really isn't in it...

bloocrab
11-07-2017, 12:35 AM
...Last trip was Saturday where Tony(remember Goose?) and I had another lucky catch out on the bank. ....

Saw the pics...:drevil:
Tony's good people, hopefully you didn't convert him over to the dark-side

JohnR
11-07-2017, 08:00 AM
Yes, Tony is good people ; )

Impromptu trip yesterday. @ noon a neighbor informed me about a mass of birds and breaking fish way out off my local beach and only about a mile from my harbor. Grabbed a rod, the dog, Sauerkraut (in that order) and hopped on the boat. Beat into a stiff NE wind and found everything had stopped. Decided to try WH which was quiet and too much tide to fish right. Had Sauerkraut and the dog all eager to fish, while my heart wasn't in it. Said effit, pushed up the throttle and flew a dozen miles down to Quicks. Put the boat on a drift while SK casting with his 6' drop (on an 8' rod!) repeatedly tries to hook my ear. Almost too much cross wind to work plugs, lousy weather pattern, don't want to be there, too rough, and BANG........Sauerkraut hooks a decent, as in borderline #20, fish that puts him immediately in the rocks. Save his butt with some boat handling, circle back, and mackerel (?) start flying out of the water with bass in pursuit. Spend the next 2 hours catching fish (tiny-15#) and having a blast. Turn into the NE blow to head home, expecting to be beat up, and find that the full moon tide with the wind has flattened things out nicely. Easy run home, kept a fish for winter fishcakes, dog happy, wife happy, SK happy, I'm happy. In the late fall you just never know.

; )

piemma
11-07-2017, 10:55 AM
Tony is the best. I bought a leaning post from him for my first CC, many years ago!

bobber
11-07-2017, 03:55 PM
was out Sunday in the area of the CT river mouth. nasty SE wind and a weird roll on the Sound made things unpleasant. found a bigg school of bunker that was periodically having bass grab a mouthful here and there- tried for 2 hours with everything we could think of and couldn't get bite. went to find another area but the weather was getting worse so we said Eff-it.

I hear about your heart not being into it..... I am so conflicted about whether to pack it in. it never really got started for me this Fall, but I'm tired of getting beat

Sea Dangles
11-07-2017, 05:19 PM
Saw the pics...:drevil:
Tony's good people, hopefully you didn't convert him over to the dark-side

The guy is like a horse shoe

Clammer
11-07-2017, 05:44 PM
personally .I use to have a good [friend] from this site ,His name was Goose .....a few years ago he chose to change things around .....I miss him :rollem:

fishgolf
11-07-2017, 07:02 PM
Beautiful day today in SoCo.

ct_fisher
11-09-2017, 04:53 PM
beautiful day in SoCo.. but lots of dinks.. still nice to be out before the ice starts building on the guides :(

numbskull
11-13-2017, 04:35 PM
Still finding loads of small fish along the Elizabeths with occasional decent bass mixed in.

Got Stripers
11-13-2017, 04:43 PM
Hitting fresh water tomorrow and I'm looking forward to some relaxing no pressure fishing for bass, crappie and pickeral. My salt water gear is stowed, other than some holdover gear if I choose to give that a try either later on this fall or if we have a mild winter.

Clammer
11-13-2017, 06:54 PM
bob, go give it a try & LMK .I,m still in the saltwater .............. Albies & schoolies thick at Narragansett yesterday ><><

numbskull
11-15-2017, 04:25 PM
Still fish along the Elizabeth's today. 90% small, but did manage several in the 30" range and dropped a legit @20# fish boatside.

Guppy
11-15-2017, 05:55 PM
Awesome George..... You da man

I thought about coming down that way today to get out of the wind a little and really wish I had now! Pulled the plug on a tog trip. Grrrr

ProfessorM
11-15-2017, 07:31 PM
Still fish along the Elizabeth's today. 90% small, but did manage several in the 30" range and dropped a legit @20# fish boatside.

Klutz

Zeal
11-16-2017, 01:37 PM
Curse of October hit me again, 4WD busted (unless it's a sandeel run, I'm not being stuck to one spot in the Fall), baby lizard passed, inlets are too crowded. The wind and weather has been God awful. But peanuts are still around with blues and small stripers.

I dunno about you guys north of me but the fish have been coming on mainly passive baits like clam bellies. They just haven't wanted plugs.

Weird season.

Got Stripers
11-18-2017, 05:07 PM
Was a calm but cold morning, with a couple dozen crappie, two perch, one largemouth, a handful of pickeral; one being a major challenge to land on 8lb test. Float & Fly was the ticket again, small hair jig under a float in 44 degree water is the ticket come late fall.

numbskull
11-18-2017, 05:18 PM
One last trip down the islands this am before pulling the boat ahead of this next gale. Still plenty of small fish around. Found a solitary 28" fish. Didn't see anything large....other than several deer, one with a huge rack. Still a few guys tautog fishing. Hate to quit while fishing is still active but weather and holiday obligations mean it's time to put the boat to bed. .

Sea Dangles
11-18-2017, 10:24 PM
Nice flurry at the end George

SAUERKRAUT
11-19-2017, 08:38 PM
I'm trying to extend the season. 200 mile round trippers to SOCO, RI Friday and today, Sunday. Friday was a morning of micro bass, while being tantalized and entertained by bird pods, and dive bombing gannets several hundred yards off the beaches. Today, however, was total gale on shore wind blow out conditions.

Next week, I will leave the Thanksgiving dinner table with family in-laws in Holliston. Drive half the night to fish with NJ Shore Brother Don for four day breaks. Fishing was great last year: We even decided to jettison a Thanksgiving dinner invitation, to stay on the beach longer.

Such is what we do as the season ends, and we try to shorten the winter doldrums.

zimmy
11-22-2017, 10:14 AM
Fished from shore in LIS at sunset after work in spectacular conditions. Cool 50 deg., but comfortable, brisk so' west in face, creek dumping out colliding with waves set up beautiful current and white water. Schoolies stacked in the current smacking ss little necks and sp's.

When I was putting on my waders, a grandfatherly aged guy comes walking off the beach with his 30 something daughter. He comes up to me and says "Your not actually going fishing are you? That's crazy." After he got in the car next to me, daughter explained he was visiting from Georgia. Guess it is all relative.

bobber
11-22-2017, 01:37 PM
Fished freshwater in local ponds- forgot how pretty black crappie can be. And how voracious
Had about 40 of them on basically everything I could throw in the water......

Got Stripers
11-28-2017, 03:20 PM
Hope they taste good, because they aren't the best fighting fish in the pond, but a friend gave the the skinny on a pond ten minutes from the house where he has been limiting out on rainbow trout. The highlight of the day was a bald eagle joining me off and on, which doesn't surprise me as my friend saw one steel a trout off a line a week back.

Guppy
11-28-2017, 06:46 PM
Nice
I like them rolled in corn meal and pan fried in bitter....

MAKAI
11-28-2017, 09:49 PM
Bald eagles love the trout stocking program.

Guppy
11-29-2017, 07:49 PM
Came across this today, my dad Ray and his father in law, my gramps

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/album.php?albumid=174&pictureid=1472

Clammer
11-29-2017, 10:01 PM
sweet Gup .& they have jeans like mine ><.

piemma
11-30-2017, 05:18 AM
Nice memories Ray. I love the pic of the Chrysler with the canoe

Got Stripers
11-30-2017, 08:42 AM
To bad that vehicle isn't in a family barn ready to restore, or the corvet Clammer used to tow his old boat with.

Clammer
11-30-2017, 10:57 AM
his Bob >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:kewl:

I might go this afternoon for holdovers >< got a real good hit yesterday .but a bitch to catch with the barb guard still on :crying:

Got Stripers
11-30-2017, 01:43 PM
Let me know how you do, was thinking of giving it a shot during the next warm up.

Clammer
11-30-2017, 03:07 PM
yeah , I,ll probably give providence a shot .there were some caught there last week ><>