View Full Version : Who Went Fishing This Weekend?

BigFish
08-16-2003, 12:38 AM
Did anybody fish this weekend? Give it up, we want details:drool: where, when, how....we want it all and we want length, girth and weight. General locations and conditions would also be good. Pictures would be better.:jump: :jump: :jump:

JohnR
08-16-2003, 08:58 AM
Went with another S-Ber last night to a mystical island - Got Fish :D

Christian
08-16-2003, 09:57 AM
eye go today/tonight with dada.:)

Christian
08-16-2003, 07:59 PM
had first cast syndrome. first cast with brand new pencil i just made and first cast of the day, castout, 2 twiches of the rod tip, BANG fish on, BLUE:af: , start reeling him in when bang, nuther blue hits, line goes limp, me angry.:smash: nuthing for the rest of the day.

Notaro
08-16-2003, 10:35 PM
:af: me no fish! except for pollocks

Jamie M
08-18-2003, 06:13 AM
Fished Watch Hill light Friday night. Tally was 2 blues from 7-10 pounds, and a 15 pound bass. All on live eels, nothing on plugs.

08-18-2003, 06:20 AM
5-bass over 25lbs, the largest was 34lbs :)

RIJIMMY
08-18-2003, 08:04 AM
I went to Brenton Pt. Newport, Sunday 2:30am until 6:30. Fished live eels until light and then plugs. Nothing...no hits at all. I saw some guys chunking and it did not look like they caught anything.:( :( :( :(

Chris Carragher
08-18-2003, 08:23 AM
Fished New Castle New Hampshire and I am happy to say that I caught my biggest fish of the season so far...36" - 18lbs. Lost two others in the low 30 range.

Glad to see the fish are out there. The pollock are back out in the Piscataqua River. Handlined for Pollock which was very successful. I don't have to buy bait for at least a week. The smaller Pollock went right back out with a hook through their backs...very succesful!

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

schoolie monster
08-18-2003, 09:30 AM
Took my daughter out with me early sunday am. Started looking for some herring, but came up empty. Actually found some of this years... about 2". Lots of bait around, just nothing I could use.

We found some fish up top right away over towards Hingham. There was no one around and we nailed a dozen schoolies up to 26". Topwater, shads and jerkbaits, they weren't picky.

Britta got her first fish on artificials on her own cast. I got one Daddy! She was psyched. It was cool b/c it was just at sun up with that golden color. Very nice morning.

I went out to the harbor islands and started hitting the rocks. I only managed a couple small fish on jerkbaits. I have more success on lures higher in the tide when fishing this structure.

I retrieved a starfish from the rocks for Brit and we saw a seal and her two pups out at the graves. They swam around the boat a bit. She liked that.

No doggies cause I was relying on the steady supply of herring I'd been getting for the past couple months. I took no chunks.

Bliz
08-18-2003, 09:34 AM
Went down to the Cape with five others... NOTHING!:mad:

I have yet to take a keeper this year! :mad:

StripperSearch
08-18-2003, 10:18 AM
Worked Monomoy with Strippinline by boat on Saturday. The rips were really moving, and once the fog burned off and tide turned, it was feeding frenzie - birds and fish everywhere! Right upto and around the boat in 6' water. Fun to fish, but a little difficult with the strong currents and close proximity of boats around us.

Al had hooked something really big at one point, but snapped his line (25#) right after setting the hook. Al was using a steel leader, so it wasn't a blue sinking his teeth into the line. Wonder what that was?

For the day, we only managed 2 keepers 28", 34", couple of schoolies, 1/2 dozen large blues and a bunch of rat blues.

Good to be fishing and OTW, wish it were as good as the previous week.

Mr. Sandman
08-18-2003, 10:23 AM
Did pretty well this weekend....considering...Got stung by something very nasty (hurt like a sob!!!) in the ankle and my foot is swollen like a friggin ballon...Add that to my serious case of Posion Ivy and you have one irratated fisherman.

I need to get some serious drugs...this is getting downright ugly.

Fish On
08-18-2003, 10:37 AM
Fished Butterfish Hole and Block Channel Friday. Trolled for tuna with no luck. Excellent temp. breaks but no signs of Tuna. Tried casting small bucktails at a few lobster pots for Mahi. Got a couple small ones, 2 to 4 lbs. Tried clams for cod in Block Channel on the way back and a buddy of mine hooked into a nice 46" 22 lb Mahi Mahi realing his clam to the surface at around 30 feet. After we had him in the boat we got another on a mackerel chunk, about 3 feet maybe 10 to 12 lbs.

Got 1 Fluke Saturday, about 20", and several good sized black sea bass, almost just as long. Lots of Black Sea bass around Block Island right now. Some dogs, but not too bad. My other buddy got a spine in the forearm while removing a hook. Went in deep and hurt like heck. Tried stripers later but got cut short because of the thunder storms.

Sorry, pics are not digital. I'll see if I can get em scanned.

All in all a prettyu good weekend.

rwilhelm
08-18-2003, 11:08 AM
Fished last night got 3 schoolies between 14"-22".

Big Vern
08-18-2003, 11:16 AM
For the first time in a while, I had a GREAT weekend of fishing my favorite rips on the Cape...

I needed to burn some vacation days, and Friday seemed as good a candidate as any. There was no way I was not getting on the water, and I ended up having to fill the boat with a few buddies with limited fishing experience for an late afternoon session. Normally, I hate playing charter captain spending the whole time tying knots and the like, but it was an awesome trip. Ten seconds into the first drift, BAM! a nice 16 lber is brought to the boat. We had a steady pick of 32-37 inch fish until the tide slacked at which point there were bass everywhere on top. I pulled a nice 22 lber in right away, and followed it up with another that went 19. Here is where the technical limitations of my crew reared its ugly head. Only one of my friends was a proficient enough caster to get on the fish, and he and I were the only ones to hook the breaking fish. Even still, the tally for the trip was like 15+ bass all between 32 and 38 inches, one rat blue, and tons of short fluke. Best part of it: NO DOGGIES:happy:

Saturday was spent making sure the wife was happy, and it was a beautiful day to spend out on Nauset drinking beer and throwing horseshoes.

Early Sunday morning found me back on the boat heading out to where we were on Friday. This time I had an experienced crew to boot.:D The action was just like we left it on Friday: small pods of 5-6 fish all over the top. I hooked into a nice 20 lber on the first cast, but it wasn't a morning for the first cast jinx as we brought a few more to the boat fairly quickly. All the while, the fog moved in THICK. REAL THICK. We had to shut off the boat, listen for birds, and head for them. That would put us on the fish, but it was pea soup out there. The fish on top eventually disappeared, and we picked up a couple more drifiting the rips, but the fog eventually got to us, and we decided to call it a day. Nevertheless, we boated 9 fish all stripers from 33-37 inches.

The MVP for the weekend was the Yozuri mag darter, and it looks like there's a lot of bait in the water all over the place. The fall run should be fantastic.

blackeye
08-18-2003, 04:39 PM
fished the upper bay fri nite for a skunk-fished brenton reef/ragged point for a big blue-bass were bustin bait on top but wouldn't touch anything I threw, even with a nice little spearing imitation teaser. enough to make a grown man cry.

irishman
08-18-2003, 06:42 PM
Hey Sandman,
Last I had a small a small pimple on my leg.
I was out fishing with the kids and maybe some fish guts or
something & infected the ol'pimple. Latter in the day, the area swelled up and I felt like #^&#^&#^&#^&. Being stubborn Irish, I had
several Budweisers and felt better. That night my leg was
so tender that the bed sheet caused severe pain.
The following day I had a fever of 102 and got my butt to the emergency room.
Come to find out the little ol pimple caused a skin infection
which then travelled to the knee cap bursa sack. The MD gave
me I.V anti-biotics which I had to go back to the E.R for two days thankGod I started to feel better the next day and am now cured!!!
I was dumb for not taking action earlier don't do the same thing.

Got Stripers
08-19-2003, 12:58 PM
Fished in Maine over the weekend, the Androscogin River on Saturday and a small southern maine lake on Sunday. The river trip was good for numbers, but nothing big, best part was watching a family of eagles all morning. Sunday was great for size, so the 12 fish I landed didn't matter, as most were solid 3 lb smallies, with a couple pushing 4. I also had 3 largemouth over 4 lbs on, which was a plus as well. I've got to get my striper gear in order, as the fall run is about to begin.

schoolie monster
08-19-2003, 01:53 PM
Good trip GS... those are quality fish way up in the north country. Yeah, get your saltwater stuff ready. What do you think this is? We might have just a little more than a month left up here.

then you'll be draggin' down to CT every weekend catchin slimy ick covered fish in scenic downtown area of the "rose of new england"

Saltheart
08-19-2003, 02:19 PM
Smokey and i got one each Friday at the Canal. Its been slow last few weeks. expect it to pick up in about 2 weeks.

Megabyte
08-19-2003, 08:02 PM
Fished south of Block Island Sunday 2 keepers (10-12#). Then picked up another 12# off Jamestown.

Had a nice ride back from Block : - (