View Full Version : Pea soup

Guppy
07-14-2017, 05:08 AM
Spent plenty of time in the fog back in the day but not so much in recent times..
Headed out b 4 first light yesterday fogged in , GPS and old track makes it a cake walk... :-)

Wasn't long b 4 I realized I never look at the compass any more! In sight of land or lights my old brain cells are well orientated, make a turn in a general direction then fine tune it with the GPS ... All is well

Trying to get in tight to plug a spot I quickly noticed on a slow to no drift the GPS was useless... But couldn't break the habit of looking there first.. :-( boats pointed south GPS reads 360..... Dah

Ended up at the race spinning in circles LOL .... My old brain cells kept getting disorientated... Every time I went to set a new drift I'd spin around a couple times b 4 I'd get back to the depth I was looking for....

Once I stopped looking at the GPS things got better, not the fish mind you, just the drift... :-)

The days I don't fish I'm still waking up at two! Thus the long wind post! :-)

Sea Dangles
07-14-2017, 07:07 AM
Compass is your best friend on the boat
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

PRBuzz
07-14-2017, 07:30 AM
can't beat autopilot in the fog...

Sea Dangles
07-14-2017, 08:57 AM
can't beat autopilot in the fog...

Until something is in front of you,I prefer competent seamanship.

piemma
07-14-2017, 12:18 PM
Compass is your best friend on the boat

One time RI Rockhound and I were coming back from offshore ad lost one of the Cats. He went below deck to work on it and I tried to steer using GPS. USELESS! Finally just stayed on a compass bearing and all was well

beamie
07-14-2017, 04:26 PM
Had a compass on my old boat that at certain rpm's the card would spin in circles.....cool to see......but not when you needed it. thru that in the trash and got a better compass.