View Full Version : van staal x series drag sound

doc
07-21-2017, 06:29 AM
...picked up a new 150 to replace what was just stolen...the new x series the drag now is a clicking sound? i assume that is the way it supposed to sound?

Slipknot
07-21-2017, 07:39 AM
maybe there is a spring you can remove under the spool that makes the noise like lots of reels have.

tunaless greg
07-21-2017, 07:56 AM
Tomo knows you don't plug fish anymore, so he sold you the reel with a live bait clicker installed.

scottw
07-21-2017, 08:57 AM
if you mean when you adjust the drag knob you hear clicking it's because they added detents to the drag knob on the X series...if there is clicking when you pull line from the spool...pretty sure they've always done that..it's a sweet sound

doc
07-21-2017, 09:06 AM
yeah - when line gets pulled there is that clicking drag sound...older vs never had that...and yes, pulled drag is always sweet..sound or not...

saltyric
07-25-2017, 11:20 AM
Tomo knows you don't plug fish anymore, so he sold you the reel with a live bait clicker installed.

good one

bassballer
07-25-2017, 01:06 PM
yeah - when line gets pulled there is that clicking drag sound...older vs never had that...and yes, pulled drag is always sweet..sound or not...

VS150N? i thought those had a slight click as well. My old VS200N drag clicked. And Scott is right. Its a great sound!

SAUERKRAUT
07-29-2017, 02:57 PM
...picked up a new 150 to replace what was just stolen...the new x series the drag now is a clicking sound? i assume that is the way it supposed to sound?

AGREE: A VSX 150 is a new reel in my quiver this season. Part of a neat, light setup (still with balls) for sand beach type fishing.

However, the drag click sound is so loud as to be almost obnoxious. I grew up in an era when we used to deliberately remove the click springs, rub wires, etc., from our Mitchell 302's, and Penn 704's, so we could hook up, and slip down the beach, lights off, with nobody the wiser.

bart
07-30-2017, 08:45 AM
My drag clicker on my brand new VSX250 went on its own. I was going to remove it anyways, but I would've like to have had the option not to.

doc
07-30-2017, 08:06 PM
AGREE: A VSX 150 is a new reel in my quiver this season. Part of a neat, light setup (still with balls) for sand beach type fishing.

However, the drag click sound is so loud as to be almost obnoxious. I grew up in an era when we used to deliberately remove the click springs, rub wires, etc., from our Mitchell 302's, and Penn 704's, so we could hook up, and slip down the beach, lights off, with nobody the wiser.

I agree - too loud
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Mike P
07-31-2017, 04:53 AM
if you mean when you adjust the drag knob you hear clicking it's because they added detents to the drag knob on the X series...if there is clicking when you pull line from the spool...pretty sure they've always done that..it's a sweet sound

Especially to the guy fishing 100 feet away who isn't catching #^&#^&#^&#^&. :jester: