View Full Version : Big shark in cape cod bay off scorton/ sandy neck

redlite
07-28-2017, 10:15 AM
So we are out in the bumper boats commercial fleet in cape cod bay yesterday evenin and my buddy on another boat calls me hysterical

Apparently they were in 20 ft of water and boat next to them was getting ready to gaff a bass. As they are watching to see how big the fish is a great white shark comes up out of no where, eats the guys bass. He screams. The shark my buddy estimates to be about 12 ft rolls on its side like it wants its belly rubbed then disappears

As he is tellin me this all i could think about was the couple of guys at scorton creek out up to their armpits fishin

My buddy said it was the most insane thing he ever done seen

Rmarsh
07-28-2017, 10:28 AM
Woah..thats crazy....saw something swim by me last night while I was waist deep....then noticed it was a seal....sharks can't be far behind I guess.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

BigFish
07-28-2017, 10:35 AM
You guys do know that sharks live in the ocean right?:shark:

Rmarsh
07-28-2017, 10:55 AM
You guys do know that sharks live in the ocean right?:shark:

I do of course.....it s a possibility that eventualy someone will be hurt or killed and i dont want to be that guy, or be pushing my luck to the limit.
Not saying something like that couldn't happen here .
Fact is there have been no fatal shark attacks in Buzzards Bay since 1938.
Much greater possibility getting killed driving home in my opinion

ProfessorM
07-28-2017, 11:11 AM
There has been a great white seen in Barnstable channel and off sandy neck several times this summer. I don't wade in over my waist anymore you wet suiting nut

Ed B
07-28-2017, 11:46 AM
A couple of years ago somebody posted a video of a pretty good size white shark cruising a drop-off right next to the beach in Chatham. No doubt he was probably looking for a drop back seal to munch, and there was news of some seals getting nailed in that area. The water where the shark was swimming couldn't have been more than 3 feet deep. At night, I've waded that area but now I wouldn't go much deeper than shin deep.

I used to jump out of my boots when I'd be out there on a quiet night and run into a seal or have a horseshoe crab try to mate with my feet. Not sure what I'd do if I met up with a shark trying to take a fish.

redlite
07-28-2017, 12:00 PM
As My great mentor on the backside used to say
"Once u go in the water past your knees, u are part of the food chain"
And that was before the seal invasion

redlite
07-28-2017, 08:39 PM
Cohenfishin out there right now and just called me sayin that 2 boats have lost fish at boatside to said great white tonite. He said wild. I say yikes

l.i.fish.in.vt
07-29-2017, 06:31 AM
its all good as long as you aren't swimming

Slipknot
07-29-2017, 11:34 AM
its all good as long as you aren't swimming

or surfboarding

I was at that creek a week or 2 ago and while in the water great whites were on my mind believe me. Not much you can do about them taking fish from you, seals do the same thing. When a bass bumps your leg while wading in the dark, that can freak me out.

PRBuzz
07-30-2017, 02:00 PM
stole this from FB

jim sylvester
07-30-2017, 06:10 PM
stole this from FB

and thats is ( or was ) a good size bass......

Jim in CT
07-31-2017, 07:37 AM
I was at the cape last week on vacation. Was bodyboarding with my kids at Head Of The Meadow with dozens of other swimmers, when all the lifeguards started blowing airhorns and ordering everyone out of the water. They closed the beach and put up shark flags, said someone saw a white in Eastham. Very low flying planes buzzed around for the next 3 hours.

Rockfish9
07-31-2017, 11:28 AM
stole this from FB

YIKES!...

tysdad115
07-31-2017, 03:23 PM
If there was a great white out there last night it got run over by one of a billion boats...

ProfessorM
07-31-2017, 03:57 PM
Haha. I heard it was in need of a traffic cop or a couple of street lights.

tysdad115
07-31-2017, 04:56 PM
Oh there was plenty of red and green lights out there! The great whites must have spooked the fish too..

Guppy
07-31-2017, 06:15 PM
Waist land.... And a big waist of time (sleep?)

tysdad115
07-31-2017, 06:24 PM
Waist land.... And a big waist of time (sleep?)

Sleep? Nah , fished all night, went to work until 6, just got home.

albythereforyou
08-01-2017, 02:38 PM
there goes my hopes and dreams of chasing a BFT in the kayak in BB.

way too many seals and sharks there now for me to every feel safe in a kayak there.