View Full Version : About time

Mike P
08-24-2017, 12:42 PM
http://www.capecodtoday.com/article/2017/08/24/234241-Environmental-Police-Seize-332-Pounds-Striped-Bass-along-Canal

Guppy
08-24-2017, 01:08 PM
Amen to that Mike

numbskull
08-24-2017, 01:17 PM
I hope, but doubt, that they lost their tackle. I suspect it will turn into probation and court costs

Got Stripers
08-24-2017, 01:52 PM
Last Sunday an EP officer was checking people on the bridge and vehicles in the parking area ahead of the Westport River by the back eddy launch.

JohnR
08-24-2017, 02:41 PM
Any names yet?

bobber
08-24-2017, 03:01 PM
these guys suck.... the last few days hasn't made the situation any better I'm sure

piemma
08-24-2017, 03:31 PM
Pictures on FB are insane. Every jamoke and googan who can throw a plug 5 feet is catching 25 to 30# bass in the Ditch. Such a waste of fish on idiots. I'm hearing stories of guys fishing with upside down spinning reels and still catching. Pathetic!:af:

I just cannot do it anymore. 50 years of striper fishing and I think I'm done. There is no sport in it anymore.

Rob Rockcrawler
08-24-2017, 05:32 PM
[QUOTE=piemma;1126915]Pictures on FB are insane. Every jamoke and googan who can throw a plug 5 feet is catching 25 to 30# bass in the Ditch. Such a waste of fish on idiots. I'm hearing stories of guys fishing with upside down spinning reels and still catching. Pathetic!:af:

I should have taken a pic a couple weeks ago. There was a father son team fishing. Son had the upside down spinning reel and the dad had and I Sh$% you not a zebco, and I don't mean the VS that was bought by zebco, I mean the real deal what my grandma fished with zebco.

bloocrab
08-24-2017, 08:45 PM
2017 has been very generous at the Canal...been quite the year and continues to be.....

IMO - Shouldn't matter if someone is catching with a grandma zebco or not, whether their reel is upside down or right-side up...no one person has more right than another, regardless the level or price-tag of their tackle. (so long as they put in the time and work involved)

The Canal has been and will continue to be....an EASY place to fish (so long as the fish are in heavy).
I've said it before...and I'll say it again, the internet is having an incredibly negative impact on fishing as a whole.
25% positive in regards to learning shtuff and meeting people with similar interests....75% negative in making it too easy for any shmo (experienced or not) to know what's going on, when, on what, WITHOUT putting the time to find out for themselves. It's still fairly safe out in the dark at spots you have to work at....but spots like the Canal....:lurk:...it's a CHiT-ShOw!!!
I feel real bad for guys who've put so much time and energy to learn the holes, tides and rips of the Canal...to only lose them all to the masses closely watching Facebook, etc///
I miss it, until I get there and realize how stupiD it's become....gangs of bikers standing around more than casting, hordes of people fishing too close making it almost impossible to fish it "right"......I hope I don't sound hypocritical, but if people simply did the work themselves, then they deserve the rewards, but most are not...they're waiting for that text, or FaceBook alert. That's not work...that's lazy and easy.
In Today's day and age, people want it "NOW"....however they get it, they just want it now. Doesn't have to be earned on their own or from an acquaintance,...the internet is everybody "friend" and everybody's enemy.

Stripersurg
08-25-2017, 12:18 AM
Pictures on FB are insane. Every jamoke and googan who can throw a plug 5 feet is catching 25 to 30# bass in the Ditch.

I've said it before...and I'll say it again, the internet is having an incredibly negative impact on fishing as a whole.

At one time the internet was the sole blame for this, not any longer. The quote at the top is spot on. The book of face, along with others, is what is causing the real problem.
This problem is rampant all over the place, not just the ditch.

piemma
08-25-2017, 03:57 AM
I feel real bad for guys who've put so much time and energy to learn the holes, tides and rips of the Canal...to only lose them all to the masses closely watching Facebook, etc///
I miss it, until I get there and realize how stupiD it's become....gangs of bikers standing around more than casting, hordes of people fishing too close making it almost impossible to fish it "right".

MY POINT EXACTLY!!

Sea Dangles
08-25-2017, 05:30 AM
I honestly think it is great someone was using a zebco. It gets the job done without the stupidity of the gear whores who think the more you spend,the better angler you are.The fact it was a father/son team makes it the best experience regardless of gear.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Mike P
08-25-2017, 05:30 AM
Pictures on FB are insane. Every jamoke and googan who can throw a plug 5 feet is catching 25 to 30# bass in the Ditch. Such a waste of fish on idiots. I'm hearing stories of guys fishing with upside down spinning reels and still catching. Pathetic!:af:

I just cannot do it anymore. 50 years of striper fishing and I think I'm done. There is no sport in it anymore.

I'm sure that you remember what happened the last time there was an insane run of large fish in a small area, and not much else going on along the rest of the coast. :(

Knowing that I'm very likely to have caught my last striped bass ever doesn't make it any easier to watch from afar. I have a deep reverence for that fish.

JFigliuolo
08-25-2017, 06:21 AM
I have had more than one person who knows absolutely ZERO about fishing tell me I should go and fish the canal.

jettyjockey18
08-25-2017, 07:03 AM

kind of harsh...some might say parking over a bunker school isn't exactly doing calculus...cast, snag, drop, catch, reel, repeat...
once in a generation event, a lot of people getting in on the action that might not usually have the chance, good for them...(wish i was one of them but this pesky job thing got in the way...):(:(

RIROCKHOUND
08-25-2017, 07:18 AM
I'm sure that you remember what happened the last time there was an insane run of large fish in a small area, and not much else going on along the rest of the coast. :(

Knowing that I'm very likely to have caught my last striped bass ever doesn't make it any easier to watch from afar. I have a deep reverence for that fish.

This....

How do you say
'miss the forest for the trees' in Finnish?

Clammer
08-25-2017, 07:37 AM
Joe fig you should ANCHOR in the canal ><><:gh:

PaulS
08-25-2017, 07:42 AM
Friend was there and said it was the craziest day he has ever seen (not the biggest fish or most people but consistant catching).

Saw the DEP bust a comm. guy who had 5 fish. They told him the fine was $100 and they busted him 2 times this year already. He got to keep 2 fish.

albythereforyou
08-25-2017, 07:54 AM
the canal is awesome because it keeps all the IDIOTS IN THE SAME PLACE!

hop on the ferry out to MV, and go catch 20lb bass all night long without another person in sight.

it's pretty easy to ignore all the social media crap and do your own thing and still catch fish

nightfighter
08-25-2017, 07:58 AM
I have gotten texts over the past two weeks. I have always wanted to fish the canal when large are around. But after seeing photos of the jam packed banks from this week, I have no desire to make the drive.... Would rather chase the albies in BB or make a quick Derby trip.

JFigliuolo
08-25-2017, 08:20 AM

not sure even that would help me...

JFigliuolo
08-25-2017, 08:53 AM

not sure even that would help me...

piemma
08-25-2017, 09:23 AM
Joe, the upper Bay is full of Blues from 5 to 12#. I know you are of the "clammer school" when it comes to Blues but they do pull like crazy.

PaulS
08-25-2017, 09:40 AM
Word is that it is still going on

Slipknot
08-25-2017, 10:32 AM
I heard this week (news to me) that there is an APP for the canal! It is spot on to the minute they say. Unreal:fishslap: talk about cutting the learning curve. So like you mentioned bloocrab, it kind of sucks to hear these things after putting in hard work for yourself when others cash in the easy way. I bet it was made by that Jersey guy who guided people on the canal one year a while back for money. People do the craziest stuff for money including breaking the law poaching.
Mike I hope you get to fish again for striped bass someday.

I stopped last night on my way home just before it got dark, ended up fishing till 10:30 after countless fish. It really is stupid fishing and I have enjoyed it while I've had the chance. I went back this morning 3:30 am to 8:30 fished further west , had the spot to myself for 2 hours and at times fish on every cast, then 2 guys 100 ft to my left, and another 20 feet!!!! away to the right. I stayed put and out fished them both with quality and quantity. My last fish I broke off was a monster. I would go back but over 100 fish in the last 4 trips I am worn out.
I love the canal and hate it. As Paul says, it's not for the faint of heart.

Ross you should have tried at least one trip down, it is insane and the fish have been so powerful all week.

piemma
08-25-2017, 10:50 AM
When I fished the back beaches we all knew the migration started around the 15th of August. Ballston use to light up in front of the big dune.
I never bothered with the Canal back then as there was a group of hardcore jiggers who would cut your throat if you infringed on there "territory. Besides, there was no need. We had such great fishing on the Back before the seals.
Some nights from the Mission Bell to Laura's to High Head, if you followed the drop, you stayed on the fish. Many multi 40# fish in a night. ...and no, we didn't kill everything.

I don't begrudge the neophytes catching large. Good for them. The problem is most (not all) haven't "put their time in". I have great friends who fish the Canal regularly and have spent half a lifetime learning spots at certain tides and during certain winds and moon phases.
Now, the guys who don't knw, just wait for a text or a FB post and BANG, there into fishing of a lifetime.
As Mike P posted, just remember the last time there was an abundance of "large" in one place and nowhere else.

t.orlando
08-25-2017, 11:11 AM
Friend was there and said it was the craziest day he has ever seen (not the biggest fish or most people but consistant catching).

Saw the DEP bust a comm. guy who had 5 fish. They told him the fine was $100 and they busted him 2 times this year already. He got to keep 2 fish.

Plus he got caught last year...no comm license with 7 fish......How do they not yank his license?

FishermanTim
08-25-2017, 11:42 AM
Plus he got caught last year...no comm license with 7 fish......How do they not yank his license?

It's kind of like the medical research biz...you don't cure it, you treat it for a lifetime!

You don't revoke a license, but fine him every time he poaches, that way you get your license $$ and fine $$ on a regular basis, and then use him as "proof" that you're doing a good job...:smash:

striperswiper75
08-25-2017, 12:12 PM
The only time that I see the canal is when I am driving over it to head to MV to do some real surfcasting.

I run into guys in my area who tell me how many fish over 40 inches they have caught this season. I typically ask them "how many came from the canal?" They normally respond by saying most (like 90%) are from the canal. I quickly tell them that those fish don't count towards their total and that they should spend time closer to home learning their local waters. That normally results in them giving me a funny look and them telling me that I'm crazy.
I constantly strive to improve my skills as an angler. I spend 95% of my time fishing local water, so my aim is to fish structure and water that translates to where I am going to fish. The canal just doesn't offer that to me.

tattoobob
08-25-2017, 02:27 PM
I hate to say it but the end is near so fish as much as you can because soon it will be over and all you'll have is ground fish, even the Blues are declining. Me I could care less if I ever fish again I'm tired of all the BS

Got Stripers
08-25-2017, 02:36 PM
Golfed in Hyannis at 9am and couldn't belief what I saw driving over the Sagamore, unbelievable shoulder to shoulder as far as I could see.

cow tamer
08-25-2017, 03:03 PM
You just can't surfcast the Canal.

Bob Thomas
08-25-2017, 04:30 PM
Can't believe I'm saying this but I'm GLAD I can't get back for another 2 weeks. I've heard horror stories; mayhem, anger issues, crowds (understatement of the year) and just pure chaos. That's not fun for me. I like to fish, relax and catch & release. Seeing all the fish being kept must suck, especially the sizes I'm hearing/seeing. I'll stay home and make some money and let the crowds die out...if they can even do that!

nightfighter
08-25-2017, 06:30 PM
Driving the SE Expressway for this????

Guppy
08-25-2017, 06:32 PM
Macd up E at first light today to fish BB,,,
Couldn't believe what I was seeing, I put down fish just about the whole length, don't think I see more than 100' without someone, stayed dead center to keep from getting hooked..... Felt like I was under atack.....

Return trip at east end the EP's where at work again, had some guy climbing up the jetty to site him me thinks..

Another guy lands one from the pier, pulls it to the edge and I see a woman climb down the rocks to retrieve it....
Trained retriever?????? :-)

Guppy
08-25-2017, 06:40 PM

Holy cow! I didn't see that, not even close.....

I did see 3 men and two young boys on a boat not catching so I handed off a bucket of macs with circle hooks to them... Didn't stick around but ta been hard not to catch....

Albies soon Ross :-) I'll call ya

Slipknot
08-25-2017, 07:20 PM

Not like that in the dark

To each their own

ProfessorM
08-26-2017, 08:38 AM
The only time that I see the canal is when I am driving over it to head to MV to do some real surfcasting.

I run into guys in my area who tell me how many fish over 40 inches they have caught this season. I typically ask them "how many came from the canal?" They normally respond by saying most (like 90%) are from the canal. I quickly tell them that those fish don't count towards their total and that they should spend time closer to home learning their local waters. That normally results in them giving me a funny look and them telling me that I'm crazy.
I constantly strive to improve my skills as an angler. I spend 95% of my time fishing local water, so my aim is to fish structure and water that translates to where I am going to fish. The canal just doesn't offer that to me.

On the bright side with so many at the canal you can really enjoy some awesome quiet beach fishing. Often I don't run into another person. I do it often to cleanse my brain from the craziness of the fish funnel.

ProfessorM
08-26-2017, 08:44 AM
Ross it has not been that bad at all. For 4 days I had no one within a 100 feet of me. The good thing about this historical bite is the fish have been spread all thru the canal so no one area is getting crazy like some bites at a certain area like your above picture. it has been very calm and enjoyable. Easy to escape the crowds.

Guppy
08-26-2017, 09:10 AM
Ross it has not been that bad at all. For 4 days I had no one within a 100 feet of me. The good thing about this historical bite is the fish have been spread all thru the canal so no one area is getting crazy like some bites at a certain area like your above picture. it has been very calm and enjoyable. Easy to escape the crowds.

That sounds like fun to me

nightfighter
08-26-2017, 11:27 AM

So who is going? If I were to pick a time to face the SE Expressway? Anyone want to show me the ropes?

ProfessorM
08-26-2017, 11:41 AM
Ha unfortunately not me going back to work on Monday. Depression is setting in fast. The bite has slowed down considerably. Might actually have to work big fish now. My advise buy some 3 oz savages throw up current and reel. Go anywhere in canal in dark to daybreak. Also white magic swimmers do same. Eels work too but previous methods are simpler.

nightfighter
08-26-2017, 01:19 PM
Thanks, Paul. Spoke with Bruce too. I think I will save my trips for chasing albies.....

ProfessorM
08-26-2017, 02:24 PM
I would Ross. Looking forward to the next chase.

Got Stripers
08-26-2017, 02:39 PM
Might do a midnight run Sunday night.

Mike P
08-27-2017, 02:28 PM
I hate to say it but the end is near so fish as much as you can because soon it will be over and all you'll have is ground fish, even the Blues are declining. Me I could care less if I ever fish again I'm tired of all the BS

From shore these days, groundfish pretty much means scup. Maybe tautog in May, June, and October.

Got Stripers
08-27-2017, 03:05 PM
Decided on golf instead today, great round without any crowds and shot my best this year 76. Might try am figuring people need to work and it might be less crowded.

ProfessorM
08-27-2017, 05:00 PM
Nope comm day it will a zoo

MAKAI
08-27-2017, 05:13 PM
It was loaded with refugees this morning, must've come in on the roof of the train. Star Wars cantina of googans.

piemma
08-28-2017, 10:15 AM
Perhaps it's just me but I think it is sad what has happened to this sport of ours.

Got Stripers
08-28-2017, 01:50 PM
Fished one hour this morning, figuring people need to work, well that assumption was wrong. Had one fish on briefly and only saw three landed until I lost interest in being part of the madness. Was snagged by the guy above me three times, fun stuff. The guy below me would be lucky to land a large on that short whimpy 7 footer.

tattoobob
08-28-2017, 04:09 PM
Perhaps it's just me but I think it is sad what has happened to this sport of ours.

If I want easy fish I go to the market :rotflmao: