View Full Version : Boat capsizes at Watch Hill Fri night

Jamie M
08-18-2003, 06:23 AM
I was fishing Watch Hill Light Friday night. I could see the lights of 3 boats working one of the reefs, about 100 yards from shore. One of the boats looked pretty small, 18-19 feet, and very low to the water. But it was SUCH a calm night, I figured you could get away with it.

About 11:00 or so, I noticed the Block Island - New London Ferry going past the reef. I thought to myself, boy, that ferry is going really fast (15-20 mph) and was extremely close to the small boat working the reef (the other 2 boats were further away at the time). Sure enough, seconds later, we heard the sound of the small boat's engine coming out of the water, and I could see that the boat's lights were now submerged.

The guys in the boat were in the water, screaming for help, and the other 2 boats rushed to assist. We called the coats guard and police from our cell phone; maybe a minute later, the parking lot at the Light wa packed with police and fire trucks. The two boats, however, looked to be heading twards Stonington. We later learned that everyone was OK, but the boat was lost.

I wonder what the blame will be for the cptain of the ferry. It's my understanding that you are responsible for your own wake. Granted, that boat was a little small, but they of course have a right to be there, and the boat was properly lit up. Has anyone heard anything about this?

Jamie

JohnR
08-18-2003, 06:53 AM
Wow - first I'd heard of that. Damn...

How was fishing WH? That was my backup plan for Friday night...

SeaWolf
08-18-2003, 07:55 AM
the watch hill reef channel in front of the lighthouse is fairly narrow. ferries go thru there all the time. most of the fishing is done on the edge or just inside of the channel usually. common cents tells you that if a boat of considerable size is coming towards you, you at least reposition the boat to be able to handle the wake or reset your drift once the ferry or whatever large vessel goes thru. if that small boat couldn't handle the ferry's wake, then it shouldn't have been out there as the reefs can be a lot more dangerous than that. that makes 2 rescues for the coast guard in 7 days in that general area from capsized boats. another case in point, respect the ocean and know your capabilities.

Jamie M
08-18-2003, 09:43 AM
John -

My buddy, fishing 3 feet away from me, got 2 blues (7-10 pounds), and a striper that was 34" and about 15 pounds. I got zilch. All on live eels. There were a couple of other guys, no one was doing much.

Also, very quiet at Quonnie Breechway, where we stopped at about 3:00 AM. Thick weed everywhere.

Jim Mckeough
08-18-2003, 07:11 PM
I was anchored that night at Watch Hill Reef and saw the whole thing. The boat was to small for three people, had only about 1 foot of freeboard, looked like a flats boat. The problem today is to many boat dealers are selling these blue water specials that should only be used in bays or back ponds. These guys should thank the fishing God that the guys who picked them up had floodlights on there boat and came right to there rescue. Also it was a calm night with no waves and a quit rip.

JohnR
08-18-2003, 08:11 PM
Hi Jim! Welcome to S-B :btu: - we'll be seeing you in October :D