View Full Version : shore fishing for kids near Charlestown?

Jim in CT
08-31-2017, 12:36 PM
I will be camping with my kids near Charlestown RI this weekend. Would like to be able to take them fishing from shore, maybe for snapper blues or scup? Any decent places to try, between westerly and Narragansett? Weather doesn't look great.

Thanks!

zimmy
08-31-2017, 12:45 PM
Up inside the breachway near the mouth of Ninigret pond or in the pond itself. Might try by the great island bridge in Galilee or out along the shortwall next to George's. Both areas are well protected surf-wise, but of course be cautious of the currents and rocks.

Jim in CT
08-31-2017, 12:58 PM
Up inside the breachway near the mouth of Ninigret pond or in the pond itself. Might try by the great island bridge in Galilee or out along the shortwall next to George's. Both areas are well protected surf-wise, but of course be cautious of the currents and rocks.
Thanks. I have been past the short wall by George's, probably 50 million times. Have never seen anyone catch off that wall. I will also stop in a tackle shop somewhere and get some info and spend some money
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

DZ
08-31-2017, 01:25 PM
There is a pier (state owned?) across from the BI ferry landing on the Matunuck side off of Succotash Road - might have to get there early.

zimmy
08-31-2017, 01:42 PM
Thanks. I have been past the short wall by George's, probably 50 million times. Have never seen anyone catch off that wall. I will also stop in a tackle shop somewhere and get some info and spend some money

Drop a worm close to the rocks for scup. When I was closer, I liked it at night in the fall too :walk:.

JohnR
08-31-2017, 02:38 PM
This time of year the inside of Weekapaug Breachway on the pond side of the bridge can beloaded with EVERYTHING imaginable - including crazy people. See X marks. OK area for kids if they can stay on top of the rocks - if they are like herding cats maybe not best place. Lots of tins, small soft plastics, smaller bucktails, etc. Schoolies, smaller blues, shad, and bigger bass and blues too. Scope it out first and determine if a go - and Seafood right in that lot.

You could part in the lot next to the breachway, cross the bridge

MakoMike
08-31-2017, 04:26 PM
Short wall by Georges now has built in fishing platforms.

Nebe
08-31-2017, 05:13 PM
Cocohoe minnows in pearl or glow on a 3/8th ounce jig head paired with a red gill teaser. They are mandatory for kid schoolie tackle.

Jim in CT
09-01-2017, 05:54 AM
Cocohoe minnows in pearl or glow on a 3/8th ounce jig head paired with a red gill teaser. They are mandatory for kid schoolie tackle.

My little guys aren't ready to cast in public yet, everyone around them could take a hook to the eye. I was thinking more along the lines of, I cast out a bobber with a dead shiner or mummichogg under it, and wait for a snapper to bite.

PaulS
09-01-2017, 08:42 AM
I will take them up into the pond by Ninigret

JohnR
09-01-2017, 08:57 AM
I will take them up into the pond by Ninigret

This ^^

How old are the kids? I was thinking they were older like 8/9.

Nebe
09-01-2017, 09:01 AM
My little guys aren't ready to cast in public yet, everyone around them could take a hook to the eye. I was thinking more along the lines of, I cast out a bobber with a dead shiner or mummichogg under it, and wait for a snapper to bite.

Ah. In that case I'd float sand worms under a bobber inside any of the salt ponds.

PaulS
09-01-2017, 12:33 PM
I still get a kick trying to catch Snappers behind a clear bobber and a small kastmaster. If they can't cast and retrieve in real fast enough get a bobber and silversides

Jim in CT
09-01-2017, 02:05 PM
This ^^

How old are the kids? I was thinking they were older like 8/9.

10, 7, and 6. My 6 year old can be a bit of a wild man, too.

Jim in CT
09-01-2017, 02:07 PM
I still get a kick trying to catch Snappers behind a clear bobber and a small kastmaster. If they can't cast and retrieve in real fast enough get a bobber and silversides

Thanks Paul. I also still get a kick out of snappers. I was thinking of casting a Kastmaster for me and my 10 year old, bobber with silversides for the kids. I just didn't know where to go, a place with public access thats safe, where I have a chance of catching something.

You guys are the best, thanks.

Last question. Where are the tackle shops near Rt 1 in Charlestown? We aren't far from East Beach...

Jim in CT
09-02-2017, 01:45 PM
Fished on the pond side of Charlestown breachway, dunked works, shiners, threw cast masters, nothing except weeds. Then tried off the bridge near the kayak rental place in the pond, caught a bunch of cunners (choggies to you folk)? All on the bottom half of outgoing tide. Kids loved catching cunners. Zero snappers.

piemma
09-03-2017, 06:42 AM
There is a pier (state owned?) across from the BI ferry landing on the Matunuck side off of Succotash Road - might have to get there early.

Years ago, we would crush large on the outgoing tide from that pier. No one ever bothered us.
I remember fishing there in 05 or 06 at night with Joe Pezza and Bryan Oakley. It was a nice night with no fish. :)