View Full Version : crabbing near Charlestown

Jim in CT
09-05-2017, 01:52 PM
Anybody know anything about crabbing in south county?

So I have my camper parked in a campsite until the end of October, my plan is to go down there most nice weekends. This past weekend, while fishing on a bridge that is part of Charlestown Beach Rd (next to a clam shack and a kayak rental place), we were catching some fish, but I saw a lot of huge blue crabs. A guy I know whose parents live near there, told me he and his son used to get a lot of crabs around there, but he moved away.

, so we can make his mom's favorite spaghetti sauce. We do have a couple of small kayaks at our campsite. Could we paddle around at dawn and dusk, trying to net them along the way? Or use the handlines with chicken wings?

Looked like the RI DEM website said you can't keep egg bearing females...so we can keep females that don't have eggs?

JLH
09-05-2017, 04:24 PM
Im pretty sure that only RI residents can take blue crabs in RI. If you are up for a short day trip the area right around barn island in stonington can be very good for crabbing from a canoe, kayak or small boat.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Clammer
09-05-2017, 05:35 PM
yes ,,residents only & for some $%^& reason its illegal at night :wid:

Jim in CT
09-05-2017, 07:28 PM
yes ,,residents only & for some $%^& reason its illegal at night :wid:

That's crap. !i bought a lcense! I saw in the website that it's illegal at night
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device