View Full Version : Sixteen

JohnR
09-11-2017, 06:44 AM
Sixteen years.

My son is sixteen now. He was almost 9 months old when it happened.

Lot of people are focused on Irma today, rightly if you live in Florida, but remember what happened that day and those that have fallen.

Oddly not one peep on the first half hour of the news

afterhours
09-11-2017, 06:51 AM
Never Forget, Ever.

hq2
09-11-2017, 08:00 AM
Yes, It's been 16 years since then. No one alive will ever forget where they were when they first saw the news (like when JFK was shot).
A sad day for America in so many ways.

Jim in CT
09-11-2017, 08:09 AM
When things are at their worst, that tragedy seems to bring out our best.

I have shared this before, a very moving, loving, somehow uniquely American story of compassion and love, exhibited by a 24 year-old equities trader who grew up in NY and went to Boston College. 10 minute video, well worth watching.

And Hollywood finally had a good idea and made a movie about this kid, opens in theatres today.

God Bless this amazing kid, "the man in the red bandana".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWKPjSirbcU

JohnR
09-11-2017, 09:49 AM
Rick Rescorla - a story people should know. He saved a few thousand people that day

(Note:Cheeky writing style below - and yes keep reading it is the same guy)

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/rescorla.html

When things are at their worst, that tragedy seems to bring out our best.

I have shared this before, a very moving, loving, somehow uniquely American story of compassion and love, exhibited by a 24 year-old equities trader who grew up in NY and went to Boston College. 10 minute video, well worth watching.

And Hollywood finally had a good idea and made a movie about this kid, opens in theatres today.

God Bless this amazing kid, "the man in the red bandana".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWKPjSirbcU

Saw a Documentary on that - will look at this too

Raider Ronnie
09-11-2017, 01:19 PM
Sad but fact is this is a completely different country today.
That day brought out American pride like not seen in generations.
Since then our elected leaders & media have divided this country like never before seen in my lifetime.
Now a good portion of politicians and their supporters want those type that brought down those towers living amongst us.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Nebe
09-11-2017, 01:36 PM
Since then our elected leaders & media have divided this country like never before seen in my lifetime.
Now a good portion of politicians and their supporters want those type that brought down those towers living amongst us.

Dont confuse pride for racism

Raider Ronnie
09-11-2017, 02:38 PM

Ya ok.
Maybe you should open you home to a few dozen "Dreamers"
The only thing these people are dreaming about is our welfare system and burning American flags.

Nebe
09-11-2017, 02:44 PM
I rest my case.

piemma
09-11-2017, 03:41 PM

Eben, sometimes I feel like I don't even know you.

Raider Ronnie
09-11-2017, 04:00 PM

He's smoked so much weed in his life, could be the reason !

Nebe
09-11-2017, 04:11 PM

I was just pointing out how divided this county became racially after 9-11. I'd imagine that day ruined the joy of being an American for a lot of peaceful muslims in this country.

JohnR
09-11-2017, 05:17 PM

?

Don't assume everything you see is racism

I was just pointing out how divided this county became racially after 9-11. I'd imagine that day ruined the joy of being an American for a lot of peaceful muslims in this country.

A lot of Americans were ruined that day. Good people, Muslim and not, went to defend and support this country. On the whole getting everyone together was good. But take one thing and go pi$$ it all away. Divide and Conquer

BigBo
09-11-2017, 05:32 PM
I'm in full agreement with Ronnie here.

Nebe
09-11-2017, 06:23 PM
?

Don't assume everything you see is racism

A lot of Americans were ruined that day. Good people, Muslim and not, went to defend and support this country. On the whole getting everyone together was good. But take one thing and go pi$$ it all away. Divide and Conquer

The uber rich love the divide and conquer technique. Pit everyone against each other. Tell the poor that the immigrants are the problem. Tell the middle class that the poor are the problem. Yet no one is really talking about the tax doging rich, the huge corporations that pay no taxes and the mega churches that are tax exempt. We... the average joe gets stuck holding the bag.

JohnR
09-11-2017, 06:54 PM
The uber rich love the divide and conquer technique. Pit everyone against each other. Tell the poor that the immigrants are the problem. Tell the middle class that the poor are the problem. Yet no one is really talking about the tax doging rich, the huge corporations that pay no taxes and the mega churches that are tax exempt. We... the average joe gets stuck holding the bag.

We, the average Joe, elected these fools into position of authority where they have spent OUR financial freedoms, and downstream from that our Freedoms, on Bread and Circus and now are spending my kid and your kid's generation.

So instead you have people screaming fascists and *phobes and people developing new genderfluiditypronouns marching ins Antisachiste Aktion, to take from "The Man" on one side and taxes and Mega Churches (remember it is OK if it is the other's ox getting gored) and Birth Certificates on the other. SPLIT the population against itself.

We are supposed to do better together and UNDER the law, as citizens, and we do when both sides work together. But that does not scratch the political and special interest itch, does it.

So in a rare time I will agree with Ronnie, the country was more together, just after 9/11, then any time I recall. Clearly that was not good some people, and their special need to gouge the public.

Nebe
09-11-2017, 06:55 PM
I agree with him too. There's just a lot of ways to divide people.

Jim in CT
09-11-2017, 07:33 PM

In the aftermath of 9/11, the country was united like never before.

It was years later, when the Iraq war became unpopular, that the country became divided. The media and the democrats were so heavily invested in the notion that Iraq was lost, they all blew a collective gasket when the Surge worked. They all came down with Bush Derangement Syndrome, and concluded that if they couldn't win the battle of ideas, they could win the battle of identity politics and victimhood.

JohnR
09-11-2017, 07:48 PM
In the aftermath of 9/11, the country was united like never before.

It was years later, when the Iraq war became unpopular, that the country became divided. The media and the democrats were so heavily invested in the notion that Iraq was lost, they all blew a collective gasket when the Surge worked. They all came down with Bush Derangement Syndrome, and concluded that if they couldn't win the battle of ideas, they could win the battle of identity politics and victimhood.

Maybe we should not have gone in, but we broke the China, we couldn't leave but it because a political football to further divide

MAKAI
09-11-2017, 08:08 PM
People in this country have to get out of their puppy therapy rooms and ball up.
JFC...what a bunch of kittens we have become.

Sea Dangles
09-11-2017, 08:11 PM
True,the greatest generation is disgusted

Clammer
09-11-2017, 08:20 PM
this isfishing site & a fishing thread..take this to the political forum .& we won,t have to read it ><><oops sorry this isn,t a fishing thread .......... but the origine [sp] of the thread has turned political

Slipknot
09-11-2017, 09:08 PM
Never forget

God bless everyone

afterhours
09-11-2017, 09:12 PM
True,the greatest generation is disgusted

Yep, those that are left. The others are spinning in their graves. We are turning this once great nation into a nation of free stuffers and whiners - totally pathetic.

FishermanTim
09-12-2017, 10:28 AM
We came together as a nation after Pearl Harbor, and we came together again as a nation after 9-11.

As for the divided country aspect, it is rooted in political aspirations and personal gains, and not on national pride.

Let's not "throw out the baby with the bathwater".

JohnR
09-12-2017, 02:28 PM
People in this country have to get out of their puppy therapy rooms and ball up.
JFC...what a bunch of kittens we have become.

Hahaha

Let's not "throw out the baby with the bathwater".
^^^^^ This

nightfighter
09-12-2017, 04:55 PM
There was no need to discredit the original intent of this thread. Please respect what the anniversary means and have your other diatribes in another thread. They don't belong here......

tattoobob
09-12-2017, 05:11 PM
There was no need to discredit the original intent of this thread. Please respect what the anniversary means and have your other diatribes in another thread. They don't belong here......

Thank You Ross :claps:

Liv2Fish
09-12-2017, 05:36 PM
Sixteen years.

My son is sixteen now. He was almost 9 months old when it happened.

Lot of people are focused on Irma today, rightly if you live in Florida, but remember what happened that day and those that have fallen.

Oddly not one peep on the first half hour of the news

My youngest is 8. She was born on 9/11. She knows something bad happened and it had to do the twin towers. She's very sensative so I haven't explained any more than that.

nightfighter
09-12-2017, 05:40 PM
I remember I had never seen a sky as blue as it was that day, or since. And the silence after the commercial fleet was grounded....

MAKAI
09-12-2017, 06:17 PM
The day after, standing in an open field near Boston, reeling with emotion and uncertainty, a lone F-16 roared overhead breaking the eerie silence. I was instantly filled with the pride and resolve to be an American. Those heroes that day will never be forgotten by me. The very best of us seem to pay the highest price. 🇺🇸