View Full Version : Transom trouble

Roger
08-18-2003, 11:55 AM
I have a 1979 20' SeaCraft and noticed that there is some flexing in the transom when I bounce the 500# Honda around. I think I'll need a transom rebuild in the near future. Does anyone know of a person or shop that does good work and is reasonable? I read the thread about Van's buddy, but wanted to know of shops more local to Rhode Island.

Thanks.

08-18-2003, 01:09 PM
You might want to try this forum...
http://classicseacraft.com/

Roger
08-18-2003, 02:29 PM
I did try Classic SeaCraft and was referred here. FWIW, I'm not looking for someone that specializes in SeaCraft. All I need is a lead on a good glass-man that charges reasonable rates.

Thanks.

JohnR
08-19-2003, 06:51 AM
Roger - welcome to Striped-Bass! Hope ya like it here (want pictures of your boat!)

Van - how did your friend make with his transom? This was the thread: http://www.striped-bass.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8675

thill
09-03-2003, 09:22 PM
Go to thehulltruth.com and do a search under transom repair.

A friend of mine followed the advice given, and was able to repair his totally rotten transom using a liquid replacement. Use a long drill bit and a coathanger to get the rotten wood out, and then mix this stuff and pour it in. The transom is more rigid than it was when new.

Great stuff that has been proven over time and many success stories. It's expensive, (several hundred dollars for the kit) but much cheaper than a shop, and the results are outstanding.

Having seen his first hand, it is what I would do.

TH

Clammer
09-03-2003, 09:37 PM
there are a few guys local that are good //you get what you pay for =usually:rolleyes:

MikeTLive
09-04-2003, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by thill

Great stuff that has been proven over time and many success stories. It's expensive, (several hundred dollars for the kit) but much cheaper than a shop, and the results are outstanding.

Having seen his first hand, it is what I would do.

TH By any chance are you referring to CPES ?
That stuff is supposed to plasticize wood. I have a wooden runabout hull that I was toying with replacing rotted transom and soaking the rest in CPES and then glassing.

future floating bonfire (http://www.cs.umb.edu/~mike/boat/index.html)

thill
09-04-2003, 05:23 AM
CPES is good, but this product is specific to rebuilding transoms. It's called Seacast pourable Transom material.

Here is the link: http://www.transomrepair.com/

The stuff really works, too. Definitely stronger than plywood. I wish I had known about this stuff back when I had a bum transom in my old boat.

I'm very impressed with the stuff, and how easy it is to use. It turned a junk boat into a very solid vessel that I wasn't even nervous to go out in. It has the potential to save a lot of time and money and is definitely a permanent repair.

TH

thill
09-04-2003, 05:50 AM
Oh, by the way, some of you may not know me, but I have no affiliations with any kind of products besides my home made lures and the homes I build.

But the stuff really impressed the heck out of me, and I had serious doubts. It sounded like a cheap fix, like "Git-rot", and there is no way Git-rot was going to fix a rotten transom! But this stuff is the real thing. The 1/2" leftover in the bottom of the bucket proved that! Joe had the boat for several years afterward, and I still see it on the water every once in a while, rock solid.

Anyway, I just wanted to make clear that I'm not some kind of salesman, although I probably sound like one.

Hopefully, I'll make it up later this month!

TH

Roger
09-04-2003, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by clamdigger
there are a few guys local that are good //you get what you pay for =usually:rolleyes:

Care to give me their names? I'm not looking for cheap, but also not looking to pay top dollar for mediocre (or worse) work. I've found that nothing beats good references. Thanks.

Clammer
09-04-2003, 06:49 AM
Dennis at harborlight marina in Warwick does work for alot of us .hes a great guy but unfortunitly you get billed by the marina/
then there are quite afew that do it on the side, but I don,t have ##.s