View Full Version : Summer Home

Rmarsh
09-23-2017, 03:38 PM
I've been working on the inside finish now for almost three months.
Lots of custom touches inside, three stairways to finish...and five bathrooms?!! who needs five bathrooms???
In this price range private bath for each bedroom is the new normal!
Overlooks and has a boat dock on the river!
Some people have so much money that it's hard not to be a just a little jealous....but very nice people to work for.

trevier
09-23-2017, 06:16 PM
I've been working on the inside finish now for almost three months.
Lots of custom touches inside, three stairways to finish...and five bathrooms?!! who needs five bathrooms???
In this price range private bath for each bedroom is the new normal!
Overlooks and has a boat dock on the river!
Some people have so much money that it's hard not to be a just a little jealous....but very nice people to work for.
million dollar house with 5$ worth of landscaping.

Rmarsh
09-23-2017, 07:16 PM
million dollar house with 5$ worth of landscaping.

Well....the in ground pool is going to be built before the $150,000 in landscaping goes in. Actually no landscaping has been done. Just a guy that comes once a week to keep the weeds down.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Guppy
09-23-2017, 07:25 PM
Bob, don't forget to go fishing... ;-)

nightfighter
09-23-2017, 07:46 PM
Three months of working with new materials would be nice. I spend a fair amount of time sistering, replacing, or doing Dutch for wood that was growing in the 1700s-1800s. Always fun to figure what I need to pad out when nominal is true actual size.....

Rmarsh
09-23-2017, 08:30 PM
Bob, don't forget to go fishing... ;-)

Yeah...I promised myself that I was going to take a lot of time off this summer...this job was just too big...and working alone most of the time, I couldn't afford to loose any momentum.
Maybe next year:fishslap:

Rmarsh
09-23-2017, 09:10 PM
Three months of working with new materials would be nice. I spend a fair amount of time sistering, replacing, or doing Dutch for wood that was growing in the 1700s-1800s. Always fun to figure what I need to pad out when nominal is true actual size.....

I did a #^&#^&#^&#^& ton of remodel way back, but got spoiled now.
So bad I wont work on houses with people living in them, too much drama, whining about dust and mess, dogs and kids running around etc..I'm done with that. Last time a customer rudely complained about a little sawdust, I packed up and never went back. Boss didn't even question my decision. Now he knows what kind of jobs I dislike...and wants to keep me around until I retire in a few years. Smart guy and treats me very well.

Rmarsh
09-25-2017, 06:48 PM
Fireplace built-ins, coffered ceilings and main stairs

nightfighter
09-25-2017, 07:05 PM
What is on the stairway wall?

Guppy
09-25-2017, 08:20 PM
I'll guess, sq. edge t&g
I've seen it and don't like it, so there... :-)
Great work Bob

Nebe
09-25-2017, 09:16 PM
What is on the stairway wall?

Looks like white subway tile

Rmarsh
09-26-2017, 05:43 AM
I'll guess, sq. edge t&g
I've seen it and don't like it, so there... :-)
Great work Bob

It's rough sawn shiplap, spaced to show a reveal. Some walls it is capped at 42" high.
I don't like it much either. Customer makes choices and I install it.
Gup....your honest opinion is appreciated.:kewl:
Part of the reason I put up the pictures is to get some feedback/comments.
Thanks

BFThunter
09-26-2017, 06:50 AM
Maibec's for siding? I'm going for that look with my cape... but it's 1/10th the size! Looking great.

Rmarsh
09-26-2017, 09:18 AM
SBC is the brand they used here. Olympic stain dipped white cedar extras.

Clammer
10-06-2017, 05:49 PM
RM my kid builds these so much , he doesn,t even tell me about them anymore ...He did go to Chicago to received some kind of award for a rehab he did OTW in Matunick , ":":

Rmarsh
10-08-2017, 07:19 AM
Clammer ...I'm sure you're very proud of him....skilled and hard working profession .... no place for slackers or pretenders.
I 've been building houses since 1973, lost count a long time ago.
Still enjoy going to work everyday. Never even considered any other line of work.
I have two grown-up sons....would have liked at least one to take up the trade.

Nebe
10-08-2017, 08:13 AM
RM my kid builds these so much , he doesn,t even tell me about them anymore ...He did go to Chicago to received some kind of award for a rehab he did OTW in Matunick , ":":

Man I love that house. And it’s barn. :love:

Rmarsh
11-16-2017, 06:33 AM
view from second floor deck...I am easily distracted....every time a boat comes into view...lot of them yesterday....shellfishing im guessing.
Interior work is done....pictures once it is all cleaned up.

Rmarsh
06-07-2019, 05:26 AM
I'm back at the summer house to finish the basement level.
The house is really nice.. it's the dock I lust after.....five minutes from the mouth of the river!

Rmarsh
06-08-2019, 07:36 AM
This customer is very happy with all the work I have done in the past and has mentioned many future projects...so she wants to be sure I'm comfortable and happy working there.....could probably take all summer.
When I commented to her about the nice boat and the dock, she said..."if you know how to drive it, feel free to take it out for a spin".
That got me thinking... launch "my boat" from the boat ramp in the early am, commute up river to the job, and tie up to the dock. After work i would have a couple of hours to cruise down river and into the bay to fish.......:rolleyes:

nightfighter
06-08-2019, 08:30 AM
This customer is very happy with all the work I have done in the past and has mentioned many future projects...so she wants to be sure I'm comfortable and happy working there.....could probably take all summer.
When I commented to her about the nice boat and the dock, she said..."if you know how to drive it, feel free to take it out for a spin".
That got me thinking... launch "my boat" from the boat ramp in the early am, commute up river to the job, and tie up to the dock. After work i would have a couple of hours to cruise down river and into the bay to fish.......:rolleyes:

I for one, will be extremely disappointed if you do not do this, at least once.....

Nebe
06-08-2019, 08:32 AM
Dream client !

Rmarsh
06-08-2019, 09:50 AM
Dream client !
Yep....just got to work on.... getting them to rent the place to me for a week.:angel:

Rmarsh
06-08-2019, 09:56 AM
I for one, will be extremely disappointed if you do not do this, at least once.....

Maybe I can get you to come down and join me one afternoon?.....How's you rehab going? Hope your pain management is under control.

piemma
06-09-2019, 06:53 AM
It's rough sawn shiplap, spaced to show a reveal. Some walls it is capped at 42" high.
I don't like it much either. Customer makes choices and I install it.
Gup....your honest opinion is appreciated.:kewl:
Part of the reason I put up the pictures is to get some feedback/comments.
Thanks

I'm not a fan of the narrow shiplap. I did our solarium in 10" shiplap which I like a lot better. JMO.

trevier
06-12-2019, 08:53 AM
jealous, very jealous.

Rmarsh
06-13-2019, 05:40 AM
She loves the look .... so she wants the entire basement done this way. Customers sometime ask me how I like the choices they have made......I know from experience that it is better to say something positive....but honest opinions are welcome here.

Last picture shows the 10" shiplap I installed in my "rustic" dining room when I built my house back in 77'...did some ceilings with it too.

Guppy
06-13-2019, 06:03 AM
Seen quite a bit of this ,,, not my favorite... few yrs back a son on finish crew, CEO LL Been, Ryder Cove, McMansion, full height kitchen/ dining
Each to their own. :-)

Slipknot
06-13-2019, 09:42 AM
Joanna Gaines influence countrywide for sure.

Some women are in love with it, it is not everyone's taste
but the workmanship is what counts and yours never disappoints I'm sure.

Me, I like wood

Slipknot
06-13-2019, 09:44 AM
I'm back at the summer house to finish the basement level.
The house is really nice.. it's the dock I lust after.....five minutes from the mouth of the river!

Damn!

piemma
06-13-2019, 09:57 AM
She loves the look .... so she wants the entire basement done this way. Customers sometime ask me how I like the choices they have made......I know from experience that it is better to say something positive....but honest opinions are welcome here.

Last picture shows the 10" shiplap I installed in my "rustic" dining room when I built my house back in 77'...did some ceilings with it too.

Love it!!!

Rmarsh
06-14-2019, 05:30 AM
Joanna Gaines influence countrywide for sure.

Some women are in love with it, it is not everyone's taste
but the workmanship is what counts and yours never disappoints I'm sure.

Me, I like wood

I had to google Joanna Gaines....interior decorators are not high on my list of talented people.....dime a dozen imo. You know..... the people that "think up" ideas that someone else with tangible skills has to actually use their hands to do!

I like wood too....and i am disgusted with all the finger jointed crap, the particle board/cardboard doors, etc. Always been a big fan of rough sawn pine from local sawmills...used it for all my my exterior trim.....it's been on the house for 42 years and holding up very well. Holds paint....never.. ever peels....and the price is right. Only drawback is that its pretty green.... stick it and let it air dry for a few months before use.

Rmarsh
06-19-2019, 05:12 AM
Going to be working here for a while....so I'm getting settled in......finished walk out basement is going to be awesome!