View Full Version : blizzard of 2018

Raven
01-03-2018, 06:03 PM
it's a whopper

Guppy
01-03-2018, 06:17 PM
Bring it on, just bought a new generator , the last one I bought was for hurricane Bob and used it for job sight and home power for years,,, out with the old in with the new..

Homelite 4500 going up for sale soon once I rebuild it....

Raven
01-03-2018, 06:25 PM
problem is ya have ta keep it relatively close
to the house entrance to keep from getting voltage drop

Rockfish9
01-03-2018, 07:10 PM
I run mine off 10/4 SJO cord...the generator is in the red neck garage which is away from the house...
The hookup is 20' away on the side of the house. .
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Raven
01-03-2018, 07:18 PM
whatsa JHO?

i have a system to electrify the whole house
but i don't have the right damn cord to plug it in yet :wall:

Guppy
01-04-2018, 07:36 AM
Gen in the shed 75'? From sub panel in garage that supplys essentials, beer and boiler,,,,, 12-2 with grnd extension cord.... It gets warm!

nightfighter
01-04-2018, 09:26 AM
Any time Jim Cantore is less than twenty miles from me during a storm is not a good thing.....

Got Stripers
01-04-2018, 10:41 AM
Still pouring rain in south Plymouth, but man the wind is fierce and I can see the beach is insane right now.

Nebe
01-04-2018, 11:02 AM
Kinda heavy snow here in Newport.

I bought a pair of Chippewa boots from lol bean last week and I can’t say enough good things about these in the snow. I wish I had discovered them 20 years ago. :love:

Got Stripers
01-04-2018, 11:12 AM
Great boots, I had a pair for 15 years, they were the balls for my winter holdover fishing.

Nebe
01-04-2018, 11:36 AM
Great boots, I had a pair for 15 years, they were the balls for my winter holdover fishing.

My dad lived in northern New Hampshire and he had a pair that he lived in winter - summer. I never paid much attention to them but I get it now.

Got Stripers
01-04-2018, 01:22 PM
I have no doubt that downtown Scituate where I grew up and lived through the blizzard of 78, is full of sea water at this point. Luckily for many on the coast, while this is a very intense storm and hitting at astronomically high tides, it's moving out quickly.

Nebe
01-04-2018, 02:34 PM
I have no doubt that downtown Scituate where I grew up and lived through the blizzard of 78, is full of sea water at this point. Luckily for many on the coast, while this is a very intense storm and hitting at astronomically high tides, it's moving out quickly.

It is. Just saw a video..

Nebe
01-04-2018, 02:36 PM
Nantucket has standing water above th wharves as well.

RIROCKHOUND
01-04-2018, 03:25 PM

Hopefully it recedes before it freezes tonight...

nightfighter
01-04-2018, 05:43 PM
I am SO glad I got out of snow removal..... I will snow blow my place tomorrow just enough to move vehicles and walk in. Then do complete clean up Monday when it is in the 30s and less wind. Of the snow bird houses I look after there are only two that I actually do myself. They have snow blowers onsite and there is no hurry to get them done. The other properties I have subbed out. In 2015 I had 15 properties I did carting my snow blower around in a Tahoe... Got rid of them and began looking after snow bird properties. As long as heat and water are on it's all good.

The snow has been dry here so feeling fortunate that I am not dealing with the pending freeze up many of you must be dealing with. Be safe out there tonight, and tomorrow.

chefchris401
01-04-2018, 06:12 PM
14” easily in riverside

Did the driveway, walk way, and 320’ of side walk (school zone town rules) around 11-1pm about 8” then, by the time I was done another 2” in the driveway

Just came back in from doing it all again and my elderly neighbors driveway and walk way as my good deed for the day.

Wife’s car in the garage, trucks outside.

Thank god for the stormr bibs and jacket! Bone dry and warm the whole time.

Jenn
01-04-2018, 07:04 PM
hard to tell how much we got in W.Mass because its blowing around so much but guessing 6-8". The wind is a howling so hard I keep thinking it's the plow going by every 30 seconds though!

nightfighter
01-04-2018, 07:23 PM
Local restaurant The Landing
https://www.facebook.com/TheLandingRestaurantMHD/videos/10155275792302218/

chefchris401
01-04-2018, 08:02 PM
Local restaurant The Landing
https://www.facebook.com/TheLandingRestaurantMHD/videos/10155275792302218/

Wow, that sucks

Ross how close to the water is it?

nightfighter
01-04-2018, 08:13 PM
Half over the harbor on pilings

My first job was there bussing tables. Is/was the sister restaurant to the Bull and Finch in Boston which was basis for Cheers TV series. Kitchen has to have been worse.....

jim sylvester
01-04-2018, 08:15 PM
Kinda heavy snow here in Newport.

I bought a pair of Chippewa boots from lol bean last week and I can’t say enough good things about these in the snow. I wish I had discovered them 20 years ago. :love:

which chippas did you get eb,

i bought the sawdust's this november and LOVE them

Nebe
01-04-2018, 08:31 PM
which chippas did you get eb,

i bought the sawdust's this november and LOVE them
I’m going to spell this wrong, but the katahadin iron works boots the ones with the vibram lug soles.

jim sylvester
01-04-2018, 08:40 PM
nice boot!

ivanputski
01-04-2018, 11:21 PM
I have a oil furnace with baseboard pipes... no e glycol in them just water.
Bought a generator transfer switch that installs onto the furnace so I can run it off my generator, but that was 3 winters ago... still sitting in the box, not installed. I gotta call someone!!

Rmarsh
01-05-2018, 07:11 AM
We got about 16" in Freetown.....got the 250' driveway cleared last night.
Not even close to blizzard of '78....which was a two day event that dumped 3' of snow here.....power was out for a week.....national guard was deployed to help clear the roads with heavy equipment......took days to clear stranded cars off the highways. THAT was a blizzard...

BigFish
01-05-2018, 08:38 AM
Lame.:tm:

MakoMike
01-05-2018, 08:50 AM
We got about 14 inches here in western CT. I have to go dig the truck out in a little while.

Raider Ronnie
01-05-2018, 09:16 AM
We got about 16" in Freetown.....got the 250' driveway cleared last night.
Not even close to blizzard of '78....which was a two day event that dumped 3' of snow here.....power was out for a week.....national guard was deployed to help clear the roads with heavy equipment......took days to clear stranded cars off the highways. THAT was a blizzard...

Ya but 1978 did have a cool name like “Bomb Cyclone”
😜

I think the storm we had a few days before 78 was bigger than this Bomb Cyclone

Rockfish9
01-05-2018, 09:24 AM
Ya but 1978 did have a cool name like “Bomb Cyclone”
��

I think the storm we had a few days before 78 was bigger than this Bomb Cyclone

people coming up with these names weren't even born in 1978...

...we got 16" here in Reading from this storm... there were some sizable drifts but it moves like feathers...no big deal.

JohnR
01-05-2018, 09:31 AM
people coming up with these names weren't even born in 1978...

^^^^^^ :rotf3:
So true.

...we got 16" here in Reading from this storm... there were some sizable drifts but it moves like feathers...no big deal.

A foot or so here.

It was a storm, a nasty one, and it impacted us ('cept for some coastal places) like many other storms.

It was tough on other places not used to it and it would have been very tough if same storm tracked 100 miles more west than it dud.

Slipknot
01-05-2018, 10:29 AM
it moves like feathers...no big deal.

Feathers for you

we got PASTE
stuck to everything and frozen
not easy to deal with

I made three passes yesterday keeping up

Steve K
01-05-2018, 10:56 AM
Amazing that it was only a blizzard on BI. Got 16” in Newton. First time I have used chains on my FJ and they were great. Couldn’t get stuck.

ProfessorM
01-05-2018, 12:14 PM
Feathers for you

we got PASTE
not easy to deal with

Yup heart attack cement here.

Rockfish9
01-05-2018, 12:55 PM
Feathers for you

we got PASTE
not easy to deal with

That's the worst stuff in the world to deal with... I had some drifts here at the shop that were 4-5' high.. still a lot easier to move than the stuff you got....I don't envy you cleaning up that mess... 6" of that slop is worse than 3' of powder...

Nebe
01-05-2018, 01:22 PM
I broke 2 shovels yesterday. Heavy snow and beer muscles 😂😂😂

spence
01-05-2018, 01:53 PM
Neighbor plowed once mid morning, tried again in the afternoon and couldn't punch through. Woke up with the lower part of my driveway, about 70 or so feet of it under 3-4 feet of snow.

Nebe
01-05-2018, 02:02 PM
You have 2 sons. Make em work!

nightfighter
01-05-2018, 07:33 PM
And the aftermath...
Was a lot warmer than I expected it to be running the snow blower. Helps to have the right gear on too. Also helps to be able to blow the snow downwind.
The last snow bird house I went to clean up I got a little surprise. A plow had pushed 60 feet of snow across the street squarely into the entry of my clients' driveway. Plugged solid 8 foot deep up to my chest. No way I was going to be able to blow that. Walk up to the neighbor and politely asked who plowed her driveway and let her know why. I know who owns the company, but his mailbox is full, so texted him. No answer yet, but he will be getting that removed.... It's a small town. And it is only getting firmer in this cold. I was some pissed, though. I mean, who would do that? Oh yeah, I have another thread re: People Suck

Rmarsh
01-06-2018, 07:42 AM
Picture of RT 128 Feb 7 or 8 1978

If you weren't around in '78...it is the storm by which all others are measured. This weeks snow storm will quickly be forgotten.

I barely made it home from work that day. Power went out early and didn't come back on for a week. We had just got married in the fall and were living in our new house that I had built. Our wood stove kept us warm and comfy...and as I mentioned we were newlyweds.:hihi:

Got Stripers
01-06-2018, 08:15 AM
I remember not seeing a plow on our side street for almost a week and to kill time I'd hike to the harbor to visit with friends and the devastation in downtown Scituate was unreal. Lobster boats on main street, dump trucks buried in rock and sand right up to the windows and debris everywhere.

Rockfish9
01-06-2018, 09:36 AM
I had 3 trucks and a front end loader out on the town of Andover during the blizzard of 78... I loaned my snow mobile to Lawrence general hospital to ferry doctors and nurses from home to work... I spent my time in a walter snow fighter plowing I 495 between Haverhill and Lawrence... I made enough money from that storm to pay cash for a brand new F250 with a 8' fisher plow buy a 69 Chevelle with money to spare... what I made from this storm wouldn't pay the sales tax on a new truck...I know some folks got hammered pretty bad from this storm...but around these parts it was just a inconvience... enough of one for me to have to work today instead of ice fish... :(

PaulS
01-06-2018, 03:02 PM
The last snow bird house I went to clean up I got a little surprise. A plow had pushed 60 feet of snow across the street squarely into the entry of my clients' driveway. Plugged solid 8 foot deep up to my chest.
If you see his truck around town I would look to see if there's some damage around the same height as your side view mirror

nightfighter
01-06-2018, 03:39 PM
The plow company owner called me early this morning to acknowledge the error. Said the driver did not realize it was a driveway in the white out. Took full responsibility. They had the plowed the full 200 foot length of the driveway by the time I got there. All good. I will neaten it up with the blower Monday when temps are up above single digits and the wind is down.

Raven
01-06-2018, 04:52 PM
got about 20 inches
but the snow plows spray it in front
of the circle driveway entrances to 36-40 inches deep
covering a 20 foot square. so glad it was fluff...

Got Stripers
01-07-2018, 12:54 PM
Duxbury and Plymouth locked in and slush waves breaking on white horse beach, can't wait for the coming January thaw.