View Full Version : The real voter Fraud N.C. Gerrymandered

wdmso
01-10-2018, 03:07 PM
N.C. Gerrymandered Map Ruled Unconstitutional By Panel Of Judges

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/01/10/576966545/n-c-gerrymandered-map-ruled-unconstitutional-by-panel-of-judges

more fake news i guess

detbuch
01-10-2018, 04:12 PM
N.C. Gerrymandered Map Ruled Unconstitutional By Panel Of Judges

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/01/10/576966545/n-c-gerrymandered-map-ruled-unconstitutional-by-panel-of-judges

more fake news i guess

So then, redistricting can only be constitutional if it winds up fifty/fifty? And what about third parties? How do they get equal representation?

wdmso
01-10-2018, 05:42 PM
So then, redistricting can only be constitutional if it winds up fifty/fifty? And what about third parties? How do they get equal representation?

Clearly not the way they tried in NC

detbuch
01-10-2018, 08:05 PM
Clearly not the way they tried in NC

Care to tell us where and when have "they" ever tried 50/50 equal representation redistricting? How could it even be done?

Jim in CT
01-10-2018, 09:36 PM
The powers that be always do shady stuff, it's very un-democratic.

wdmso
02-05-2018, 02:59 PM
again now in PA does it every end (the cheating)

Supreme Court Pass Means Pennsylvania Must Redraw Congressional Maps In 10 Days

detbuch
02-05-2018, 03:18 PM
again now in PA does it every end (the cheating)

Supreme Court Pass Means Pennsylvania Must Redraw Congressional Maps In 10 Days

Seriously, dude, you are now just becoming aware of gerrymandering?

wdmso
02-05-2018, 08:07 PM
Seriously, dude, you are now just becoming aware of gerrymandering?

No .. but scale and lengths the GOP will go to fix elections is with out equal
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

detbuch
02-05-2018, 08:18 PM

Have you verified that?

Nebe
02-05-2018, 08:20 PM
Have you verified that?

Was it Virginia where the gop pretty much striped all the powers of the recently voted in governor? Disgusting.

Sea Dangles
02-05-2018, 08:31 PM

Next thing you know they will be given all the debate questions.

wdmso
02-06-2018, 08:40 AM
Next thing you know they will be given all the debate questions.

Sadly partisan Gerrymandering and debate question is just that a question. its not a Vote

Republican mapmakers used sophisticated computer modeling techniques, in Pennsylvania and elsewhere, to manipulate district boundaries with surgical precision to maximize the number of seats their party would win in future elections,"

Republicans now fill 13 of Pennsylvania's 18 seats in the U.S. House — or 72 percent — despite winning roughly half of the statewide congressional vote in the last three congressional elections,

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2014/05/15/americas-most-gerrymandered-congressional-districts/?utm_term=.f2e640a32c86

Sea Dangles
02-06-2018, 08:59 AM
It's kind of like the patriots,some folks just know how to out cheat their rivals. To characterize this as something more is sour grapes. Which you have displayed for a year now in any way that suits your agenda. Enjoy

PaulS
02-06-2018, 12:21 PM
It's kind of like the patriots,some folks just know how to out cheat their rivals. To characterize this as something more is sour grapes. Which you have displayed for a year now in any way that suits your agenda. Enjoy

So you think it is sour grapes or good for Democracy when more than 50% of the popular vote can equal 28 percent of political power?

detbuch
02-06-2018, 12:52 PM
Whether it is a result of gerrymandering or by chance, districts will usually not be split 50/50. Let's say, over time, without gerrymandering, a district becomes heavily one side or the other, is that good for democracy? Should we do away with districts, do away with the closest we come to local government?

What this gerrymandering is about is voters being ignorant. Voting should be about a well informed electorate, an electorate that first is firmly grounded in the principles of government. Most voters are neither well informed nor grounded in governmental principals. So are prey to party propaganda by those seeking power. Once that pattern is established, there is not much left that can be good for democracy.

PaulS
02-06-2018, 12:59 PM
No one has ever claimed that districts should be 50 50 or even match the % of Dems/Rep. in each district - just that it should be as non partisan as possible. There now are computer programs that show how partisan a district is.

Sea Dangles
02-06-2018, 01:15 PM
So you think it is sour grapes or good for Democracy when more than 50% of the popular vote can equal 28 percent of political power?

My point is both sides are guilty of gerrymandering. This is nothing new for either party. It's just that people are more likely to not be upset when it benefits their party/team.

Pete F.
02-06-2018, 01:24 PM
both do but neither should
http://reclaimtheamericandream.org/brief-gerrymander/

PaulS
02-06-2018, 01:50 PM
My point is both sides are guilty of gerrymandering. This is nothing new for either party. It's just that people are more likely to not be upset when it benefits their party/team.

both do but neither should
http://reclaimtheamericandream.org/brief-gerrymander/

Where is the thumbs up smilie?

Pete F.
02-06-2018, 02:26 PM
This is where most of us, the average american voters lose out.
I know all you guys are above average:wave:
From the link I posted above
Gerrymandering Squeezes out the Political Middle
A major victim of partisan gerrymanders and closed party primaries is the moderate middle – moderate voters and centrist politicians willing to work with the other side. Moderates and centrists get squeezed out by gerrymandering. Southern Republicans manipulated district maps to kill off conservative southern Democrats and northern Democrats did the same to moderate House Republicans in the Northeast.

This system has accelerated the rise to power of extremists. This happens largely because in most gerrymandered districts, primary elections have become more decisive than the general election, and in primaries the de facto power of decision rests with the party faithful.

Typically, primary turnout is low, sometimes extremely low. In the 2014 mid-term elections, Republican primary turnout nationwide was 8.9% of the elctorate; for Democrats, it was 14.5%. In seven state primaries, turnout fell below 4%. Such tiny turnouts give enormous leverage to hardcore partisan voters, well-funded special interest groups and more extreme, ideological candidates

Because primary voters often differ significantly in the views from average voters, there is often a disconnect between the broad electorate and the politicians who win primaries and get elected. In recent years, the widespread victories of partisan extremists fuels gridlock in Washington.

“The combination of closed party primaries, gerrymandering of districts and money – that’s why the system is broken,” says eight-term, former Oklahoma Republican Congressman Mickey Edwards. “This problem is deep, deep. The political system is more and more disconnected from the country. We have a system where what the majority of the voters might prefer doesn’t matter because the parties control the process, the parties limit their choices.”