View Full Version : anyone have an F-150 with pro trailer backup assist?

Jim in CT
01-23-2018, 12:48 PM
So next week I get my new F-150. Bought it to tow our camper, maybe someday to tow my dream center console.

It has a feature called pro trailer backup assist. Does anyone use this? Is it a big deal? In the couple of videos I saw, it looks like you use a knob instead of a steering wheel, but I can't figure out why that's a big deal. I know which way to turn my wheel to get my trailer to go where I want it to go. I know there has to me more to it, because there's a few measurements between the truck and trailer that you enter into the truck's computer, and if the knob simply replaced the steering wheel, you wouldn't need to do that. But I can't find a video that shows me what it does for me.

Pete F.
01-23-2018, 01:26 PM
These people could explain it to you
https://youtu.be/VrSUe_m19FY
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

JohnR
01-23-2018, 04:44 PM
I like my F150 but that was an option I skipped. I do like averaging 18mpg in a full size

Jim in CT
01-23-2018, 04:53 PM
I like my F150 but that was an option I skipped. I do like averaging 18mpg in a full size

I'm looking forward to it. Bought it to tow our camper a few times a year around New England, plus my parents are 80 and probably shouldn't be towing their camper anymore so I'll do that as well. I don't think I've ever driven a pickup truck. I'm not really into cars, as long as it does what I need and is reliable and safe.

I may look into getting the beach permit for south county. I have always been curious about that. We do a fair amount of camping down there in the fall, so that may be fun to drive on the beach, maybe get away from the crowd so I can bring my goofy dog.

JohnR
01-24-2018, 08:12 AM
It is a good truck. Can't go wrong with either Ford of Chevy IMO. Just stay away from Dodge.

Nebe
01-24-2018, 08:26 AM
they call it Pro because when it stops working, you will have to go to a pro to fix it.

Got Stripers
01-24-2018, 10:53 AM
I have back-up assist on my Silverado, they call them mirrors and they cost less:).

trevier
01-24-2018, 03:39 PM
It is a good truck. Can't go wrong with either Ford of Chevy IMO. Just stay away from Dodge.

had them all, love my 2016 ram 2500. Rides way nicer than my friends chevy 2500 with that crappy leaf spring suspension.