View Full Version : Impact of GOP tax overhaul

Jim in CT
01-31-2018, 12:32 PM
Got my first paycheck with the new tax rates. Net take-home pay increased, and the difference isn't "pathetic crumbs". It's not going to change my life, it isn't going to pay for a beach house on Martha's Vineyard. But it will cover the monthly payments on the little camper I just bought.

Not life-changing. But a noticeable impact. Plus, my employer can keep a larger percentage of our income, therefore my job is a little more secure than it was before, layoffs will be a bit less likely.

Good stuff, no?

The Dad Fisherman
01-31-2018, 01:22 PM
How dare you be happy about keeping more of your money, you selfish bastard

spence
01-31-2018, 01:59 PM
How do you know it's not going to even out when he files next year? They're gooseing the withholdings so people think they're getting more.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Pete F.
01-31-2018, 02:06 PM
Proof, LBJ was right

spence
01-31-2018, 02:06 PM
Also, I didn't think the new withholding would even be in effect until next month. Jim probably got a little pay bump that took effect Jan 1 he's seeing.

Raider Ronnie
01-31-2018, 02:20 PM
I’ve been seeing around $50 more each week for 3 weeks now.

Raider Ronnie
01-31-2018, 02:45 PM
How do you know it's not going to even out when he files next year? They're gooseing the withholdings so people think they're getting more.

Maybe you and the rest of the liberals would be happy had Hillary won and we got less take home pay, more more taxes, more regulations on business, more forced health care cost to pay for the illegals & deadbeats.....

Jim in CT
01-31-2018, 03:51 PM
Also, I didn't think the new withholding would even be in effect until next month. Jim probably got a little pay bump that took effect Jan 1 he's seeing.

Sadly not a raise. We were told by HR it was the effect of tax rates. I was told (could be wrong) that companies had to have the new rates into payroll systems by next month, but could do it earlier...

spence
01-31-2018, 04:48 PM
Sadly not a raise. We were told by HR it was the effect of tax rates. I was told (could be wrong) that companies had to have the new rates into payroll systems by next month, but could do it earlier...
The new withholding tables were just made available on the 11th I believe. If you're paid in the arrears like most salary folk your finance department must have lightening skills.

Sea Dangles
01-31-2018, 07:43 PM
A lot of big companies had anticipated the tax overhaul correctly and made their adjustments ahead of time.

Jim in CT
01-31-2018, 08:06 PM
The new withholding tables were just made available on the 11th I believe. If you're paid in the arrears like most salary folk your finance department must have lightening skills.

Not to demean their lightning skills, isn’t it changing a couple of numbers in a table? In any event, it is what it is. A big enough net bump to pay for a small camper that we will love for many years. My entire congressional delegation voted against it. Along them from the people’s republic of connecticut voted against it

Jim in CT
02-01-2018, 12:45 PM
Proof, LBJ was right

No, he wasn't. I'm not paranoid about anyone else taking my stuff. I'm happy about keeping a bit more of my pay.

Selfish to the core.

I have the same number of exemptions on my W-4 as I had 2 weeks ago. They lowered some tax rates. That can lower your withholding, without screwing your return next April.

A lot of big companies had anticipated the tax overhaul correctly and made their adjustments ahead of time.

I work for Liberty Mutual now, we were told by HR that our pay would reflect the new rates.

I hope everyone here fares even better than I did, and therefore has it just a tiny bit easier this year than they had it last year.

spence
02-01-2018, 01:21 PM
I have the same number of exemptions on my W-4 as I had 2 weeks ago. They lowered some tax rates. That can lower your withholding, without screwing your return next April.
That depends on how your taxes are structured. I itemize so the SALT cap and elimination of personal exemptions could be problematic when I file next year...Not sure if the lower rates will offset what I'm losing in deductions.

Jim in CT
02-01-2018, 01:39 PM
...Not sure if the lower rates will offset what I'm losing in deductions.

For me, the lower rates would not fully offset the ability to fully deduct SALT (I itemize too). But what pushes this into the 'win' column for me, is the greatly expanded childcare credits. Higher credits for each kid (I think), and higher incomes before they phase out - I have 3 kids. This, combined with the lower rates, will mean my net pay increases. No thanks to any of the congressional delegation in Connecticut.

The Dad Fisherman
02-01-2018, 01:46 PM
My days of itemizing are coming to an end. 1 kid just finished college, the other has 1 year left. I'm getting to the tail end of my mortgage. Just the doubling of the Standard deduction helps me out.

Jim in CT
02-01-2018, 02:13 PM
My days of itemizing are coming to an end. 1 kid just finished college, the other has 1 year left. I'm getting to the tail end of my mortgage. Just the doubling of the Standard deduction helps me out.

Hey, I looked up that BBQ restaurant you suggested in Greensboro, my wife put it in her phone, we will go, probably more than once. Thanks on both my behalf and hers, that was thoughtful of you.

The Dad Fisherman
02-01-2018, 03:07 PM
When it comes to food and beer, I'm always helpful :hee:

wdmso
02-02-2018, 10:00 AM
UPS made $1.5 billion more in 2017 than the year before. Brown says it will cash in even more in 2018, predicting profits of up to $6.5 billion.

UPS stock prices are up by 20 percent over the last year. Package revenue is up to $65.9 billion. UPS Freight added another $3 billion in revenue, a 10% improvement.

As icing on the cake, UPS is expected to cash in over $1 billion in corporate tax cuts.

But at the negotiating table, UPS is trying to soak the 260,000 Teamsters at UPS and UPS Freight.

The company is demanding givebacks, including a lower rate of pay for package drivers on residential routes, part-time package drivers for weekend deliveries, increased subcontracting, a reduction in guaranteed weekly hours for part-timers and many other concessions.

I am not surprised

Nebe
02-02-2018, 10:10 AM
The recent tax cuts have finally effected me. They are so awesome that my land lord has decided that it makes a lot of sense to sell his property and as a result of that, he’s making me move my glass studio. I’ve been here for 17 Years... over 1/3rd of my life.

RIROCKHOUND
02-02-2018, 11:32 AM
The recent tax cuts have finally effected me. They are so awesome that my land lord has decided that it makes a lot of sense to sell his property and as a result of that, he’s making me move my glass studio. I’ve been here for 17 Years... over 1/3rd of my life.

Hows the search going?

Nebe
02-02-2018, 12:01 PM
Hows the search going?

Not having much luck

Pete F.
02-02-2018, 12:25 PM
Move to Vermont and buy your own building

Nebe
02-02-2018, 01:08 PM
Move to Vermont and buy your own building

I love VT. But I can’t leave my kid behind. Or the ocean.

RIROCKHOUND
02-02-2018, 02:22 PM
I love VT. But I can’t leave my kid behind. Or the ocean.

Slide down my way. Bet there is a spot near Canal St (near Grey Sail) :-)

Sea Dangles
02-02-2018, 03:33 PM
Sorry to hear Nebe

wdmso
02-04-2018, 08:50 AM
This is funny not really but shows how out of touch some people are

spence
02-04-2018, 09:13 AM
Well, fortunately people like this rarely get into positions of authority.

detbuch
02-04-2018, 11:12 AM

Not enough information. Is she part-time? Is her base salary low? etc. My first checks netted me $21.75 per week. And I am in the lower middle class income range. And I expect even greater gains at tax time due to the doubling of the standard deduction.

I must be out of touch.

Jim in CT
02-04-2018, 11:17 AM

If ryan tweeted that, it’s idiotic, though if she said she’s happy, that’s what matters. Wdmso, Apple is paying a 38 billion dollar tax on bringing back 250 billion in cash. Apple announced 20,000 new jobs. Exxon and Comcast each announced tens of billions in infrastructure investment. Does any of that matter? Isn’t it good for your union if the private sector expands its tax base?

Jim in CT
02-04-2018, 11:19 AM
Not enough information. Is she part-time? Is her base salary low? etc. My first checks netted me $21.75 per week. And I am in the lower middle class income range. And I expect even greater gains at tax time due to the doubling of the standard deduction.

I must be out of touch.
That’s true you have to account for the increase in net takehome pay, as well as the effect of doubling the standard deduction and increasing child tax credits. But we aren’t supposed to talk about things that make the gop plan look like it’s helping, are we?

PaulS
02-04-2018, 01:44 PM

Is that any different than president Trump thinking health insurance cost $1 a month for someone age 21 or Jason Chaffetz saying if you can't afford health insurance you shouldn't buy an iPhone.

Jim in CT
02-04-2018, 04:32 PM
Is that any different than president Trump thinking health insurance cost $1 a month for someone age 21 or Jason Chaffetz saying if you can't afford health insurance you shouldn't buy an iPhone.

"Is that any different than president Trump thinking health insurance cost $1 a month for someone age 21 "

idiotic thing to say.

"or Jason Chaffetz saying if you can't afford health insurance you shouldn't buy an iPhone."

Perfectly rational thing to say.

Jim in CT
02-04-2018, 05:01 PM
"Is that any different than president Trump thinking health insurance cost $1 a month for someone age 21 "

idiotic thing to say.

"or Jason Chaffetz saying if you can't afford health insurance you shouldn't buy an iPhone."

Perfectly rational thing to say. You give up your iPhone and cable tv if you must, for any of the many things that are way more important.

PaulS
02-04-2018, 05:04 PM

Perfectly rational thing to say.

What do you do for the rest of the premium? Or when the next month premium is due or where that place you applied for a job wants to contact you and can't get in touch with you cuz you have no phone.

Jim in CT
02-04-2018, 06:47 PM
What do you do for the rest of the premium? Or when the next month premium is due or where that place you applied for a job wants to contact you and can't get in touch with you cuz you have no phone.

You don’t go out to eat, you don’t get coffee at Starbucks, you get a used car. Lots of things. Get a trac phone like I had until 12 months ago when I got my first ever smart phone for free at work. I was the very last person I know to get a smart phone, and only because my company gave me a freebie. I wouldn’t pay $5 a month for it.

wdmso
02-05-2018, 09:34 AM
You don’t go out to eat, you don’t get coffee at Starbucks, you get a used car. Lots of things. Get a trac phone like I had until 12 months ago when I got my first ever smart phone for free at work. I was the very last person I know to get a smart phone, and only because my company gave me a freebie. I wouldn’t pay $5 a month for it.

Jim your showing your age do you still use a check do you only go to the bank to avoid the ATM fees ?

Companys have used Technology and convenience as a Cash cow and have removed choice from the market ...

Atm started as free baggage was free hotel parking and the pool were free Cell phones you could get with out a data plan no more phone are now leased

again you assume to much why people cant afford health care

and avoid the real reason it cost to much .... its that simple

Jim in CT
02-05-2018, 09:48 AM
Jim your showing your age do you still use a check do you only go to the bank to avoid the ATM fees ?

Companys have used Technology and convenience as a Cash cow and have removed choice from the market ...

Atm started as free baggage was free hotel parking and the pool were free Cell phones you could get with out a data plan no more phone are now leased

again you assume to much why people cant afford health care

and avoid the real reason it cost to much .... its that simple

"Jim your showing your age "

And then some.

"do you still use a check do you only go to the bank to avoid the ATM fees "

For the many years that I didn't have a smart phone, I did have a computer. I used my computer to do all those things. If I couldn't buy health insurance, I sure as hell wouldn't have a smartphone, that would be beyond irresponsible..

So now I have a free smartphone, which I never use the "smart" features of. My wife texts me on it to tell me what she needs me to do. Don't need a smartphone for that.

My wife has a smartphone and likes it. We can afford it. But if I could not afford the basic necessities, that would be one of the first things to go.

"again you assume to much why people cant afford health care"

I assumed nothing. Well, maybe one thing, I assume that if you claim you can't afford health insurance yet you flush money down the toilet on things like cable TV, smartphones, cars, eating out, and Starbucks coffee, then I assume your priorities are out of whack. And I stand by that.

Of course there are people who are not stupid with money yet can't afford health insurance. This topic was started about people who treat themselves to luxuries, yet claim they are poor.

PaulS
02-05-2018, 10:24 AM
From 3/17:

Asked at a White House briefing Tuesday if Americans would have to choose between cell phones and health coverage under the proposed plan, Health and Human Service Secretary Tom Price said Americans are already "having to sacrifice in order to purchase coverage."

A 2013 Pew survey found that among low-income people (those making about $30,000 or less), only 13% used an iPhone that year. And nearly 1 in 4 -- 23% -- of smartphone owners have had to cancel or suspend their phone service due to financial constraints, according to a 2015 Pew study.

Later Tuesday morning, Chaffetz walked back his remarks, though he stood by his argument that Americans would need to better prioritize health care spending under the new plan.
"What we're trying to say -- and maybe I didn't say it as smoothly as I possibly could -- but people need to make a conscious choice and I believe in self-reliance," he said on Fox News' "America's Newsroom." "And they're going to have to make those decisions."

Jim - what you're forgetting is poor(er) people don't have access to computers at home or Ipads and so use the phone as you and I use a computer. They don't have the M-F, 9 to 5 job and need the phone to get work, stay in touch w/employers in ways you can't do w/a non smart phone. Plus the cost of an iphone is close to the cost of 1 month of individual coverage. Prob. 1/3 the cost of family coverage.

Jim in CT
02-05-2018, 10:47 AM
From 3/17:

Asked at a White House briefing Tuesday if Americans would have to choose between cell phones and health coverage under the proposed plan, Health and Human Service Secretary Tom Price said Americans are already "having to sacrifice in order to purchase coverage."

A 2013 Pew survey found that among low-income people (those making about $30,000 or less), only 13% used an iPhone that year. And nearly 1 in 4 -- 23% -- of smartphone owners have had to cancel or suspend their phone service due to financial constraints, according to a 2015 Pew study.

Later Tuesday morning, Chaffetz walked back his remarks, though he stood by his argument that Americans would need to better prioritize health care spending under the new plan.
"What we're trying to say -- and maybe I didn't say it as smoothly as I possibly could -- but people need to make a conscious choice and I believe in self-reliance," he said on Fox News' "America's Newsroom." "And they're going to have to make those decisions."

Jim - what you're forgetting is poor(er) people don't have access to computers at home or Ipads and so use the phone as you and I use a computer. They don't have the M-F, 9 to 5 job and need the phone to get work, stay in touch w/employers in ways you can't do w/a non smart phone. Plus the cost of an iphone is close to the cost of 1 month of individual coverage. Prob. 1/3 the cost of family coverage.

Paul, I'm not forgetting that. I was responding to whether or not it's reasonable to have an iphone if you don't have health insurance. in my opinion, an iphone is nowhere near the same priority. I also get that it's not one or the other, as an iphone doesn't cost as much. My point is that people have screwed up priorities when it comes to acquiring stuff.

I worked at a grocery store when I was a teenager. Can't tell you how many people I saw who came in every month with their food stamps, and yet drove nicer cars than my family ever had. Priorities.

DZ
02-07-2018, 08:45 AM
My first paycheck with more of my crumbs.

The Dad Fisherman
02-07-2018, 08:54 AM
My first paycheck with more of my crumbs.

Yep, same here, it will cover the cost of my Craft Addiction. :hee:

DZ
02-07-2018, 09:56 AM
Yep, same here, it will cover the cost of my Craft Addiction. :hee:
About right ;) The good stuff is expensive.

spence
03-07-2018, 08:57 AM
Didn't see this coming :rollem:

And this morning I noticed a Replublican commercial claiming the tax bill was targeted at the middle class.

https://www.fastcompany.com/40537732/workers-are-getting-basically-nothing-from-the-corporate-tax-windfall

Following last December’s corporate tax cuts, dozens of companies from AT&T to Walmart have announced bonuses and pay rises for their employees. But how much of the windfall is actually ending up in the hands of workers?

The answer is less than you might think, according to an analysis of the first 105 announcements. Just Capital, which tracks corporate performance on a range of corporate responsibility-type metrics, finds that just 6% of capital allotted so far is going to staff, while 58% is going to shareholders in the form of dividends, share buy-backs, or retained earnings.

And, of that 6% for workers, more than half is in the form of bonuses, meaning the transfers are set to be short-lived. If workers are getting at least some money from the tax cuts, it’s not necessarily in form of ongoing remuneration.

spence
04-13-2018, 01:48 PM
Wow.

President Donald Trump touted the economic growth triggered by his tax cuts in a speech Thursday afternoon, pointing out the projected growth of gross domestic product (GDP) over the next 10 years had increased because of the plan.

But 80 percent of the economic growth generated by the Republican tax cuts will eventually go abroad and benefit foreigners, according to a new report by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office.

http://www.newsweek.com/republican-tax-plan-donald-trump-cbo-884129