View Full Version : New find thread

rphud
03-23-2018, 10:12 PM
Let's post whatever new finds we run in to and care to share.

This week was Hudson Valley Diaglyph for me.

JohnR
04-02-2018, 07:05 AM
Have not tried anything new. Haven't bought anything. In fact, just to two remaining KBS in entire stash. Must reload.

Let's post whatever new finds we run in to and care to share.

This week was Hudson Valley Diaglyph for me.

Looks like they spelled DILLIGAF wrong

Dick Durand
04-02-2018, 08:30 AM
I made a run to Proclamation last week and bought two Derivative Ales, the Mosaic which I've enjoyed in the past, and Vic Secret, a first for me which I found worthy.

New tastes on the horizon as my son invited me to Armsby Abbey's Stoutfest Breakfast on 4/8 . . . surprise breakfast and three mystery stout samples on tap. Doors open to the public at noon, and 22 world class stouts will be available.

bassballer
04-02-2018, 09:49 AM
Had Farnham 52 this weekend up in VT. really good.

The Dad Fisherman
04-02-2018, 10:16 AM
Cracked a NoDa Monstro this weekend, BBA RIS sitting at 11.2 ABV.

DZ
04-02-2018, 11:38 AM
Ragged Island (Portsmouth RI) Surf's Up and Two Tree IPA's.

This fairly new brewery has really stepped up their game since my last visit last summer. If you visit on a weekend expect a great food truck/vendor. Cans available for purchase.

RIROCKHOUND
04-02-2018, 11:48 AM
Had a foolproof (Pawtucket) Raincloud Porter. Was not impressed. Definetly not the smoothest porter I have had.

The Dad Fisherman
04-02-2018, 12:29 PM
Had a foolproof (Pawtucket) Raincloud Porter. Was not impressed. Definetly not the smoothest porter I have had.

Yeah, they haven't impressed me with their stuff. A lot better out there.

Pete F.
04-02-2018, 02:07 PM
I'm usually 50 yds from Foley Brothers when i go from the 5th to 6th hole at Neshobe.
And we are getting a new brewpub this summer in Brandon, VT.
I have a question is there a market for a golf course with a curated selection of beers? If you have it will they come?

rphud
04-05-2018, 04:42 PM
oooooo, Foley Bros, very good

Sand City Shut it Down, pretty good and a bit different

MikeD
04-09-2018, 11:21 AM
Have seen some beer from the brewery Toppling Goliath pop up in MA recently. Had a Pseudo Sue and a Mosaic Golden Nugget and both were fantastic ales. Have heard their stouts are very good, but have not seen any of those. Give it a try if you spot some.

The Dad Fisherman
04-09-2018, 01:06 PM
Cracked a couple of Nightshift Swells this weekend, very tasty

bassballer
04-10-2018, 07:40 AM
Have seen some beer from the brewery Toppling Goliath pop up in MA recently. Had a Pseudo Sue and a Mosaic Golden Nugget and both were fantastic ales. Have heard their stouts are very good, but have not seen any of those. Give it a try if you spot some.

these guys are doing some awesome stuff. pseudo sue is the real deal

nightfighter
04-10-2018, 08:25 AM
https://marbleheadbrewing.co/

Haven't sampled. Some good reviews. Just a very different business model...

fishbones
04-10-2018, 08:46 AM
Cracked a couple of Nightshift Swells this weekend, very tasty

I picked up some of that last week as well. Another solid one from Night Shift.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

fishbones
04-10-2018, 10:27 PM
Drinking an Imperial Galaxic Cirrocumulus from Aeronaut right now. Super juicy and tasty.

bassballer
04-11-2018, 05:39 PM
Went to proclamation today for their release of nomenclature. Oh my!!

JohnR
04-12-2018, 07:27 AM
Went to proclamation today for their release of nomenclature. Oh my!!

Oh yeh? Will try.

Their recent Process was very, very good.

The Dad Fisherman
04-12-2018, 09:03 AM
The Proclamation stuff has been showing up in my neck of the woods recently, had Tendril, and the Galaxy and Mosaic Derivatives.....all good

JohnR
04-12-2018, 09:55 AM
Last batch of Galaxy and Mosaic Derivcs I've gotten were hohumm compared to earlier batches

The Dad Fisherman
04-12-2018, 10:40 AM
I thought the Galaxy was top notch, Mosaic was good.

DZ
04-12-2018, 11:44 AM
Singlecut brewery Softly Spoken Magic Spells DIPA is currently locally available in 4 pack cans. Probably my favorite brewer right now. Caution - not cheap.

JohnR
04-13-2018, 03:51 PM
PSST - not what it once was but SIP is available at IM Gann Warwick right now

rphud
04-14-2018, 09:39 AM
Finally had Founders Sumatra, nitro on tap. I am not a nitro fan but was fine. Still need to find some on the shelf.

Also last year's CBS on tap, which I liked much more this year than last if memory serves.

bassballer
04-16-2018, 08:34 AM
buddy gave me a couple Trillium Permutation #32. top notch. One of the best trillium hop bombs ive had in a long time.

rphud
04-20-2018, 08:40 AM
Mikkeller San Diego Amoeba Brett IPA, very nice version of this but not as hoppy as some others. I really like the Brett IPAs and hopped Bretts I have found.

Liv2Fish
04-20-2018, 02:52 PM
these guys are doing some awesome stuff. pseudo sue is the real deal

Pseudo Sue is very good. Rates over 4 on untapped.

The Dad Fisherman
04-20-2018, 07:41 PM
Pseudo Sue is very good. Rates over 4 on untapped.

Funny, I just came here to post the same thing :hee:

MikeD
04-20-2018, 08:10 PM
Not really a single recommendation but a beercentric review of a trip I just did up to Portland, ME. If you like eating and drinking and need a night or two away, this place is worth considering. We stayed in Old Port and could walk to everything, which keeps it nice and legal. Uber works great up there too so you can be a little outside and still enjoy all there is to do without driving. You guys seem to like the Hazy IPA's like me so I'll start there. Bissell Brothers, Battery Steele, Goodfire, Lone Pine, Austin Street are 5 brewery's that are right there in portland and are making IPA's that will stand up to your Trillium, Treehouse and Proclamations. The beers I had that really stood out. BB: Substance, Swish, Reciprocal, Lux (rye IPA). Battery Steele: Flume, Avalon Goodfire: Waves, Prime. Lone Pine: Tee Shirt Cannon. Austin St: Neverender, Patina.

So for a hop lover this place has a ton of amazing local options. Then there's the bars and restaurants. If you want to try all the brewery's I just mentioned plus have killer stout and Belgian options like KBS, and Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen Gueuze on tap try Kings Head on Commercial right near Liquid Riot. Awesome food, Awesome bar staff, insane draft list. Novare Res eclipses this place with beer options but I liked the vibe and food better at Kings Head. Thirsty Pig and Duck Fat were also favorites for me and the wife.

Hot Suppa for fancy breakfast or Becky's for great traditional diner breakfast makes you ready to head out and bang out another 20,000 calorie day all over again. Awesome town. Highly recommend.

Cheers!
Mike

rphud
04-21-2018, 06:22 AM
If nothing else, Bissell Bros. and Duck Fat make it worth the trip. Been too long since I made the trip up. Good to hear things are still going strong and stronger in Portland.

bassballer
04-24-2018, 01:26 PM
Bissell and Austin are awesome. Bissell not only makes great beers, but the scene is a blast too.

DZ
04-25-2018, 08:11 AM
Anyone else here going to the Newport Craft Beer Festival on Saturday? I'll be at the first session 12-3pm.

The Dad Fisherman
04-25-2018, 08:29 AM
Bissell and Austin are awesome. Bissell not only makes great beers, but the scene is a blast too.

If you go to Austin Street you have 3 other breweries and a distillery in the same complex.

Allagash, Foundation, Battery Steel are all solid.

You can spend the whole day there

fishbones
05-02-2018, 09:56 AM
Had a buddy bring me back some beer from Portland last week. So far I’ve tried the Big Small World and Substance by BB. Both good beers, but I’m looking forward to drinking the Swish tonight. Also really liked the Tri Combs by Goodfire and Oh-J by Lone Pine. I’ll update when I try some of the others.

Clogston29
05-03-2018, 09:03 PM
Trillium permutation 32 was great

Single cut miles is an awesome session ipa

At $6/6 pack of 16 oz cans, gansett fresh catch is a really good summer pounder

Liv2Fish
05-10-2018, 07:32 PM
Any of you guys use the app Untapped? It's awesome for discovering new beers. Use the trending beer feature. I've found many beers locally that rate up there with the big VT beers like alchemists and upper pass, etc. Many that I have seen in the cooler for a long time and never gave a second look. Check it out.

The Dad Fisherman
05-10-2018, 10:06 PM
The day it told me to slow down was the day I got rid of that app.....don't need a mobile wife

Liv2Fish
05-11-2018, 06:07 AM
The day it told me to slow down was the day I got rid of that app.....don't need a mobile wife

Yah, I thought that was a wierd feature too. It's definitely increased the quality of my beer fridge though and if you travel a lot, is useful to find good local options.

The Dad Fisherman
05-11-2018, 01:18 PM
I use beer advocate, they have a locator feature that shows me all the Breweries in my vicinity.

spence
05-11-2018, 02:17 PM
I use beer advocate, they have a locator feature that shows me all the Breweries in my vicinity.
Slow down

fishbones
05-17-2018, 10:41 PM
Stopped in at Widowmaker in Braintree last Saturday and picked up some Martin and Lewis Milkshake IPA and a coupe crowlers of Widows Walk IPA, their collaboration with Vitamin Sea Brewing. Both beers are excellent and worth grabbing if they have any left. I also got to sample an unnamed stout that they will be releasing soon. I’m not a stout drinker, but this was really good.

rphud
05-18-2018, 07:38 AM
Stillwater out of Baltimore area, had heard good things....confirmed

Liv2Fish
05-19-2018, 07:08 AM
I'm going to check out Second Wind Brewing in Plymouth today. I was talking to a distributor who has helped get them on several local TAP rows and he told me it's run by 3 guys who started in their garage and have won a bunch of awards. They have a milkshake style IPA that rates up there with some of the popular treehouse and alchemists beers.

Clogston29
07-21-2018, 06:33 PM
Good Fire up in Portland is very, very good.

Sea Dangles
07-28-2018, 07:38 PM
Checked it out Clogston, thanks it was great

Sea Dangles
07-28-2018, 07:39 PM
Checked it out Clogston, thanks it was great

Liv2Fish
07-29-2018, 08:08 AM
Funny, I just came here to post the same thing :hee:

Their (Toppling Goliath) Pompeii is fantastic too.

The Dad Fisherman
07-29-2018, 07:12 PM
Their (Toppling Goliath) Pompeii is fantastic too.

Yes it is, sipping on their Golden Nugget right now, haven't had a bad beer from them.

fishbones
07-29-2018, 08:30 PM
Yes it is, sipping on their Golden Nugget right now, haven't had a bad beer from them.

I just had a Golden Nugget tonight and I like it better than Pseudo Sue, and I really like that.