View Full Version : help!!!! what should i get for fishing off of jetties and big rocks

Anthony
03-15-2001, 05:25 PM
hey everyone. you guys are all experienced striper fishermen/fisherwomen and i was wondering if you could share some of you experties with me. this year i am going to start fishing off of long jeddies and big rocks and was wondering what kind of outfit i should use for it. i do prefer a spinning outfit although i am a good conventional fisherman too. All i will be using is lures off of these structures such as poppers spoons and jigs. I thought i thought a good outfit would probably be a 7 foot rod and a spinning reel, but that is just me and i have no clue. What kind of line should i put on? mono? braided? if braided which kind??? any information would be much appreciated
thanks a bunch

Anthony

tight lines!!!!

Slipknot
03-15-2001, 07:01 PM
You might want to go with a 9' rod. And braid might help since you will be fishing around rocks. I use fireline and I have had good results with it. For jigging in the canal I use 65 lb whiplash but you have to use a reel with a big enough line roller so you don't get line twist. I just got a 6500 neptune reel by Mitchell, seems to cast nice.

If you give the board an idea of what you want to spend that could help in getting suggestions.

Anthony
03-15-2001, 09:17 PM
well i have a new Penn Power Graphite 6000 that i was planning on putting on my jettie/rocks outfit. Will this be ok or will i have to buy another reel too? i am willing to pay up to $100 for my rod. Should i use whiplash 65lb ? or fireline? i have heard alot good about fireline but i have never used braided lines before so i have no clue. Any info. would be much appreciated.

Anthony

Tight Lines!!

Patrick
03-16-2001, 04:11 AM
A 10 lb anchor :D

No seriously. As far as that reel, you are kind of in a tough spot. First of all, I would rule out braids like Whiplash. I've heard bad things about Whiplash and Powerpro on any of the Penn spinners. Fireline is a great stuff. While the 30/12 might sound good, I heard it can be a little stiff. I'm using the 20/8 stuff and I'm very happy. The 6000 is about the size of my 6500SS so I'll give you a word of caution, pay attention to the line. Since you will be using line that is a tad bit thinner than what is recommended, you need to pay attention that it doesn't get screwed up.

As for a rod, I would say something in the 8-9.5 foot region would be good. You don't have to cast very far and a smaller rod will come in handy if there are other people near by.

For other things, a rainsuit and a pair of korkers. You need the Korkers DEFINITELY. The rainsuit is an option worth considering.

Oh yeah, don't wear your waders if you have them.