View Full Version : suggestions near scituate

MikeTLive
08-23-2003, 08:39 AM
I have a few hours free... any suggestions?

I don't want to use my little boat - the wake from other boats frazzled me last weekend. If I take it into salt again it will be early morning before the a-holes get up.

In hingham either in or out of the channel I was dealing with wakes over 2 feet! It was all I could do just to keep from getting swamped.

Folks were peeling in and out of the bay leaving wakes that were criss crossing all over the place. It were'nt until the thunder came in that the water settled down.

Course I had to get out of there too...

Had one hit on a wildeye shad I was towing. Nothing else. water was too darn warm. How do you keep tubes etc down? I went as slow as I could but they still worked their way to the surface.

JohnR
08-23-2003, 09:30 AM
You need drail weights and /or lead core line or steel wire to get tubes down....

Scituate from boat or shore?

Fisherwoman
08-23-2003, 09:38 AM
MikeTLive, like JohnR said, use a chain weight if you are in shallow water. If you are fishing in deeper water say 25 ft or so then you want to us lead core line or wire line. For every 100 ft you put out you will go down 10 ft in the water collum so watch your fishfinder and see what depth you are marking fish then let the line out accordingly.

If you want to fish Boston Harbor, try putting in at the Weymouth back river ramp. It is a no wake most of the way out so you won't get swamped like that, just watch you depths there and stay in the channel at low water.

MikeTLive
08-23-2003, 09:39 AM
shore. my boat is too tiny for anything other than relatively flat water.

STEVE IN MASS
08-23-2003, 09:49 AM
In the small boat, you could run around Duxbury/Kingston Bay with no problem....I've seen TINY boats out there. Is it trailered, or thrown on the roof?

Either way, if it's small, I can get you in....um, well if it's trailered and small I can get ya in, as long as you got 4WD and you time the tides right.

PM me if ya wanna know.........:)

MikeTLive
08-23-2003, 09:57 AM
heres a shot of my boat on its trailer.
my small boat from previous post (http://striped-bass.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&postid=86068#post86068)

I went out with my 14 yr old and the boat is so small!!! it really is a kids boat. I need a 16-20' with more freeboard.

macojoe
08-23-2003, 12:42 PM
You can do alot in that boat if you pick your days!! I use to go out of buttermilk bay in a 12' sears game fisher with a 6 hp on it!! I use to cross the canale to go fish for Fluke at Mashanee Flats. Use to fish by hog island, drift by the 17 can for bass.

MikeTLive
08-24-2003, 06:23 AM
Maybe I'm just over cautious. But I have read too many stories of boats bigger than mine going over.

Question - is the water calmer in the morning? Driving to work it would appear that when the high tide is early - like today - the water is rather flat.

Maybe my problem is being too green plus wake from other boaters.

JohnR
08-24-2003, 06:58 AM
Nothing wrong with being over cautious on the water - certainly in that... Yes, first light is often smoother than afternoon and the fishing is better....

You can also fish inside the North River just DO NOT bring that near the inlet...

Got Stripers
08-24-2003, 07:48 AM
Earlier in the year during the herring run, up inside the river would be a good bet, especially at the narrows just above the Bridge Street public park, the river is chocked down there, with lots of bolders below. You can also get some fluke (or so I've read) in the channel stretch near the spit. I've done well on flounder in the same stretch using heavier freshwater gitzits, they will come right up and hit them at the boat there. It's also a good area for school stripers, larger at night. Motor upriver past the spit, hang a left go towards the driftway channel, then drift back to the south river with an unweighted eel. Middle of the outgoing to the bottom of the tide is best.

The lighthouse from shore, on an incoming on the ocean side and outgoing on the channel side are both good bets. I see a lot of campers and the like on the 4th cliff hummorock side of the north river, so they might have opened that up to parking, not sure but that side of the river is loaded with rocks; but you best have some wading skills to venture too far out on that point.

macojoe
08-24-2003, 07:55 AM
The day you lose respect for the water, is the day you are going to die!!
Weather you have a 10 footer or a 100 footer!! The water is a powerful thing!!
You can do alot of things like I said with that boat, as long as you watch the water, wind , and the bigest problem of all, Other Men!!

I started with a Canoe, I said to my wife get me a elt motor for this puppy and thats all I ever want!!
Then I got a 12 foot game fisher, All I want is a motor and I will never want anything else, got a 6 hp for it. Then I said this is it I need a 17 footer and I will be set for life!! I bought one and had it for 6 years!! Then I could not get to places unless it was perfect days!! I was mad! So once again I said I need something in the 20 foot range!! My wife said all you wanted was a elt for the Canoe!! And off we went to buy my preasent boat Wellcraft V20.
But even though I love the boat I have had 4 years of fixing things, things that have cost me thousands $$

So the simpler you can stay and be happy is the way to go!!

P.S. I am looking for a 23' in the back ground but don't tell my wife!!

MikeTLive
08-24-2003, 08:06 PM
went out this am boatless - wife insists I don't go out alone and I tend to agree. spent 4 hours on herring brook getting teased by a few that tore off the bait slapped the surface and sent my hook flying back at me.

Caught one hell of an eel - 32" and think as a baseball.

didn't feel up to making my first eel dinner so I let that slimy monster go back in the drink. I know where my eel pots are going this week!!!

Thanks for all the tips. Any of you willing to do a tandem boat trip with me some time to help me learn?

macojoe - I spent some time talking to the climbing instructor at ScoutCamp (I am an asst scoutmaster) . She made a point that anyone who is not afraid of heights has no business climbing. Reason is without a little fear you are more liable to do something that will get you, or someone else, killed. I must say I strongly agree with her - and you.

CAL
08-24-2003, 08:52 PM
Last time I was at 4th Cliff it wasn't open to parking. I've parked there in the past, but you risk getting towed. I'm pretty sure all the people there are military families, C-5 CC would know.

redlite
08-25-2003, 10:17 AM
MikeTLive,
What troop you involved with?