View Full Version : Chit show again?

nightfighter
07-13-2018, 04:48 PM
I am a little slow... but hearing some sad stories about our fishery and how some are exploiting it in an area that saw the same last year. I hope anyone who sees this behavior says something, calls the EPOs, etc. I would consider participating in good fishing, but have no desire to be involved in such a chit show....

JFigliuolo
07-14-2018, 12:26 AM
Not surprised... not one bit.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

chefchris401
07-14-2018, 12:51 AM
I can say the EPO has been out in full force the last few days and pretty muck all season.

Was talking to one of the officers today and they have been targeting the known tides and have stepped up enforcement

They were checking people’s coolers and truck beds, licenses etc

And getting lots of calls from other fishermen/bikers/joggers

Is the only place I’ve ever been asked for my license

I’ve been asked 3 times already this season and those were week days too, so does seem like they’re stepping up

piemma
07-14-2018, 01:55 AM
Yes, I've heard from a couple of friends that the same crap that happened last year, at the Canal, is going on again this year. %^^(*&^% JERKS!

vineyardblues
07-14-2018, 06:50 AM
Watched the show the other day , opening comm day. Lol. On the canal. Noticed lots of fish walked back to trucks. No license checking on opening day ? Canal is a big ditch. Maybe at the other end ? Lol
And yes, it was very very dumb fishing. They really need to improve the thought process with letting guys fish the canal. Every other day during the dumb fish internet hero pictures 😘

wdmso
07-14-2018, 08:12 AM
could they make the canal a catch and release on zone until the quota is filled ? if they are commercial guys they are limited to 2 fish a day from shore (multiple trip to the truck sound like boat guys )and with only 10% of the quota filled so far the price is high and greeds kicking in

still say they should impose a slot size system for bass

internet hero pictures dont mind them if there catch and release photos.. still trying for my 50LB hero photo

JohnR
07-14-2018, 08:20 AM
could they make the canal a catch and release on zone until the quota is filled ? if they are commercial guys they are limited to 2 fish a day from shore (multiple trip to the truck sound like boat guys )and with only 10% of the quota filled so far the price is high and greeds kicking in

still say they should impose a slot size system for bass

internet hero pictures dont mind them if there catch and release photos.. still trying for my 50LB hero photo

Good question. Would suck for the real R&R comm guy

MAKAI
07-14-2018, 10:34 AM
Money certainly brings out the best in us !
Or Facebook ego stroking.

wdmso
07-14-2018, 01:08 PM
Good question. Would suck for the real R&R comm guy

I agree,,, imagine if rod and reel guess had a 15 fish limit ... what that place would look like

bart
07-14-2018, 02:21 PM
The recs are far worse than the comm guys, IMO. One fish a day everyday, plus time out of water for that perfect pic equals dead fish.

People keep saying it will get better when the fishing becomes “normal” again. They were saying that last year. And years prior. It’s been a steady build up over the last 6 years to this explosion/implosion, anomaly, whatever you want to call it. You could see the progression/regression unfolding. But it’s just going to get worse until it bottoms out because the fish have no reason to leave. Where else do you have the confluence of two major bays exchanging cold and warm water, an endless supply of various big baits, and ample access? Unfortunately, I suspect the horror stories will continue.

Slipknot
07-14-2018, 03:28 PM
Is it a chitshow again? I had not noticed

I agree,,, imagine if rod and reel guess had a 15 fish limit ... what that place would look like

I'd rather not imagine that, besides if that were still the case imagine all the pilgrims,yahoos,greenhorns or whatever actually getting that many 34" plus fish and how they would be treated in this warm weather. End buyer beware. It's not like ice and coolers are a priority when money is involved, some will just stack em and whack em. :doh::(

BigFish
07-14-2018, 05:29 PM
Ahhh.....its the kayak life for me! Canal bike is rusting away in the yard and my surf gear has not yet seen the light of day this season!:btu:

ProfessorM
07-14-2018, 05:43 PM
Gamefish please.

afterhours
07-14-2018, 05:49 PM
Gamefish please.

Pretty please....

Nebe
07-14-2018, 08:13 PM
Gamefish please.

It will never happen. Why? Because there are so many poachers with their fingers in fisheries management that they would never make it happen.

Clammer
07-14-2018, 08:43 PM
&&&&&&&&&&&&& WHAT DO YOU THINK IS GOING TO HAPPEN WHEN THE [FISHERMEN] CHARTER CAPTAINS , ETC ARE LEGALLY ALLOWED TO FISH IN THE EEZ ZONE :hang:

clambo
07-15-2018, 10:12 AM
It is the same for most crimes! The penalties for getting caught are just the cost of doing business! How about we get serious with these toons! How about a $2500.00 fine and license loss for one year first offence. Second offence $5000.00 fine, loss of vehicle, loss of license for 5 years!I would hope this solution would prohibit anyone from doing these crimes. :kewl:

Got Stripers
07-15-2018, 12:06 PM
It is the same for most crimes! The penalties for getting caught are just the cost of doing business! How about we get serious with these toons! How about a $2500.00 fine and license loss for one year first offence. Second offence $5000.00 fine, loss of vehicle, loss of license for 5 years!I would hope this solution would prohibit anyone from doing these crimes. :kewl:

There is a perfect starting point!

bassmaster
07-15-2018, 05:25 PM
It seemed sllow when I got out today, I had 1 fish but dont care, seen a few people out fishing and had there wife with them bottom fishing.
just a nice day. talked to a few people but other than that I fished all week and had a blast. :spam:Master wuz here.

Anyway I didnt see anyone keeping midgets today but have seen some ugly last year.
No matter what people are going to bitch, Funny how the sands was a #^&#^&#^&#^& show years back. now its dead and I like it , ya smaller fish and had fun who cares.
another thing is the working guy goes fishing and has his ugly stick and penn reel, yet he is made of fun by the pro's who get all pissed off the guy caught a fish.
take pic let it go,, keep it eat it, its your right
and please toss fish 6 feet in the air to let it go not 4, thanks:smash:

I had a ball all week and talk to all.

I really aint been on the forums but seems like a #^&#^&#^&#^& show with trolls some where else
Ya that place is a zoo, owell. sands canal sands canal, who cares dont keepem anyway :walk:

denis
07-15-2018, 06:26 PM
Not only the canal,BI same thing,all big fish.

Guppy
07-15-2018, 10:09 PM
Not only the canal,BI same thing,all big fish.

Sold in MA ? :devil2:

angler229
07-16-2018, 07:38 AM
Sold in MA ? :devil2:

Most definitely happening...

DZ
07-16-2018, 08:50 AM
I fished the canal once - 35 years or so ago. As much as I like to catch striped bass the picture that is painted doesn't agree with me. I'll gladly take my stretch of shoreline with an occasional hook-up in relative obscurity.

Steve K
07-16-2018, 10:09 AM
I fished the canal once - 35 years or so ago. As much as I like to catch striped bass the picture that is painted doesn't agree with me. I'll gladly take my stretch of shoreline with an occasional hook-up in relative obscurity.

Amen to that

spence
07-16-2018, 10:51 AM
Even when I actually fished I never went to the canal a single time given the idiocy I read about here.

MAKAI
07-16-2018, 11:34 AM
It’s like when rioters get in a looting frenzy.
Bloodlust keep em all thinking.

fishbones
07-16-2018, 04:11 PM
I went yesterday not believing it would be that bad. Set up at a spot with plenty of room on either side at about 3:15am. Within a half an hour I had a group of guys on my left and one of them had a roller tip rod. Then within minutes of that, the methadone clinic weekly field trip arrived and set up within 20 feet of me on my right. The guy to my right couldn’t cast more than 10 feet out and still managed somehow cross my line. I explained to him to cast upcurrent and it wouldn’t happen. Then a guy 3 people down on my left crossed my line. His buddy with the roller tip cleared it and apologized. Then the fish showed up and I caught a few and a couple other guys in the area got a couple. The guys on either side of me couldn’t cast far enough to reach them. As frustrating as the crowds are, I had a good morning and was home in time to make breakfast for the wife and kid. That being said, that’s the last weekend morning I’ll fish there. I’ll go back to weeknights when it’s late and everyone else is in bed.

piemma
07-17-2018, 07:57 AM
It seemed sllow when I got out today, I had 1 fish but dont care, seen a few people out fishing and had there wife with them bottom fishing.
just a nice day. talked to a few people but other than that I fished all week and had a blast. :spam:Master wuz here.

Anyway I didnt see anyone keeping midgets today but have seen some ugly last year.
No matter what people are going to bitch, Funny how the sands was a #^&#^&#^&#^& show years back. now its dead and I like it , ya smaller fish and had fun who cares.
another thing is the working guy goes fishing and has his ugly stick and penn reel, yet he is made of fun by the pro's who get all pissed off the guy caught a fish.
take pic let it go,, keep it eat it, its your right
and please toss fish 6 feet in the air to let it go not 4, thanks:smash:

I had a ball all week and talk to all.

I really aint been on the forums but seems like a #^&#^&#^&#^& show with trolls some where else
Ya that place is a zoo, owell. sands canal sands canal, who cares dont keepem anyway :walk:

I don't make fun of anyone. They use what they can afford. I don't care what they keep as long as it's legal. I don't fault the masses for going. It use to be hard to catch a 30# fish. (I won the Thundermist Striper Club trophy in 96 with a 32# fish).
The only problem I have is with the internet hero's posting pics and reports of their kill. None of these guys practice C&R and they will live to regret it. I just don't think you can kill 100,000 breeders every year and expect the stocks to stay the same. JMO

bobber
07-17-2018, 09:57 PM
its painful to watch the gluttony in action. I especially like the fish-in-basket parade up and down the service road a few times in 80 degree weather

MakoMike
07-18-2018, 11:49 AM
It strikes me that there is more than a little bit of Jealousy behind all this negativity?

tysdad115
07-18-2018, 12:53 PM
EPO got a few guys down there yesterday, don't know who yet though.

JohnR
07-18-2018, 04:21 PM
It strikes me that there is more than a little bit of Jealousy behind all this negativity?

No, it is a slaughter of both fish and morals.

EPO got a few guys down there yesterday, don't know who yet though.

Yep - don't know who yet by 3 people had 6 fish and were going for more.

Raider Ronnie
07-19-2018, 05:12 AM
I friend was down there a few nights ago.
Landed a 30lb fish @ about 11pm & it was put on a bank, went back to fishing.
11:30 he’s posting on fb someone stole the fish.
May as well have left 2 $100 bills on the bank.

piemma
07-19-2018, 09:06 AM
I friend was down there a few nights ago.
Landed a 30lb fish @ about 11pm & it was put on a bank, went back to fishing.
11:30 he’s posting on fb someone stole the fish.
May as well have left 2 $100 bills on the bank.

Unreal. Beyond a chit show!

Moses
07-19-2018, 10:31 AM
My brother stopped by earlier today, east end was the same sh!t show it was a week ago with boats. He called EPO and officers were already en route.

ProfessorM
07-19-2018, 11:51 AM
Saw it. Glad I sold my boat. Now I only deal with shore bound #^&#^&#^&#^& shows and don’t bother with that too often.

tysdad115
07-19-2018, 03:35 PM
Saw it. Glad I sold my boat. Now I only deal with shore bound #^&#^&#^&#^& shows and don’t bother with that too often.

The kind that stick hooks in their fingers are the worstest!

saltfly
07-19-2018, 09:46 PM
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile deviceWhat??? The "tin can"?

ProfessorM
07-20-2018, 01:32 PM
God no. Never Bob. I’ll be buried in that thing.

ProfessorM
07-20-2018, 01:33 PM
The kind that stick hooks in their fingers are the worstest!

Haha. Your absolutely right. Stupid klutz I am.

piemma
07-21-2018, 04:32 AM

Mike, I disagree. I don't think there's any Jealousy involved. Anyone of the guys on this site could go and catch a 30# fish, it's that easy since the biomass of large have taken up residence.
It more a case of total disregard for the species. It is one thing to catch large. It quite another to catch a 30# fish, hide it in the truck and take another just for the money made selling.

MakoMike
07-21-2018, 11:15 AM
Mike, I disagree. I don't think there's any Jealousy involved. Anyone of the guys on this site could go and catch a 30# fish, it's that easy since the biomass of large have taken up residence.
It more a case of total disregard for the species. It is one thing to catch large. It quite another to catch a 30# fish, hide it in the truck and take another just for the money made selling.

I seriously doubt that there is very much of that going on. One of my good friends lives near there and fishes the canal all the time and he doesn't tell any of those stories. Doesn't everyone really want the fish so abundant that they could catch like that everywhere?

wdmso
07-21-2018, 12:54 PM
https://www.surfcastersjournal.com/the-future-of-our-fishery-by-lou-caruso/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Surfcastersjournal+%28Surfcas ter%27s+Journal%29

we need a slot limit on Bass rec and comm its the easiest way to have the best of both worlds ..

Guppy
07-21-2018, 04:34 PM
Man made fish barrel

Sea Dangles
07-22-2018, 07:55 AM
I seriously doubt that there is very much of that going on. One of my good friends lives near there and fishes the canal all the time and he doesn't tell any of those stories. Doesn't everyone really want the fish so abundant that they could catch like that everywhere?
This comment was born from ignorance. If they are so abundant then why are the comms not catching their limit unless they are fishing the canal?

MakoMike
07-22-2018, 09:13 AM
This comment was born from ignorance. If they are so abundant then why are the comms not catching their limit unless they are fishing the canal?

Ignorance? It appears you can't even read! I said it was the desired state, not the current situation.

MAKAI
07-22-2018, 10:39 AM
I’ve been fishing there a lot since the late 70’s.
It was never like this until recently.
Lots of reasons why, the bulk is easy access and instant social media fish reports imo.

Go take a road trip pre dawn on a moon tide there. You will be dumbfounded.

Sea Dangles
07-22-2018, 11:07 AM
Ignorance? It appears you can't even read! I said it was the desired state, not the current situation.

I was referring to your opinion based on your friend "not telling those stories". Just because he doesn't speak about it or doesn't see it,really means nothing.But yes, safe to say we all wish more bass were around.

bobber
07-22-2018, 04:01 PM

so you admit that you haven't been there yourself, but also doubt the word of those who have been there to witness the sh!tshow first hand......?:huh:

JohnR
07-22-2018, 07:16 PM
I’ve been fishing there a lot since the late 70’s.
It was never like this until recently.
Lots of reasons why, the bulk is easy access and instant social media fish reports imo.

Go take a road trip pre dawn on a moon tide there. You will be dumbfounded.

^^^^ This

t.orlando
07-23-2018, 05:21 AM
Every year I say it can't get worse.......Every year I am wrong

Guppy
07-23-2018, 05:38 AM
I only hit there once or twice every spring and it’s not bad....
I wonder how crowded if it where C&R only.... hmmmm
Man made fish traps prohibited.... :-)

albythereforyou
07-23-2018, 10:31 AM
the entire canal should be catch and release. plain, simple, effective.

Sorry mass Comm guys, you should have to work for your money, ya know, kinda like how everyone else does...

The last 2 mornings I was there before the flea market was a chit show, a blind drunk monkey could have caught 2 30-40 lb fish....

I'll be up there again a bunch before the market in august, calling the epo again when i see stupid people doing stupid things

bobber
07-27-2018, 05:57 PM
its a portend of things to come....... too many big fish in a concentrated area.

the crash is a-comin'.........................

l.i.fish.in.vt
07-27-2018, 06:40 PM
yup the crash has been coming ever since the last one ended

piemma
07-28-2018, 08:55 AM
yup the crash has been coming ever since the last one ended

its a portend of things to come....... too many big fish in a concentrated area.

the crash is a-comin'.........................

You can bet on it. It will happen again....sooner rather than later but no one wants to listen.
I had a long conversation with Mike Laptew last week and he and I are on the same page.

Got Stripers
07-28-2018, 09:51 AM
Game fish would mean more revenue for the hotels, restaurants, tackle shops, clothing stores, charter captains, boat rental and dealer ships to mention a few. I doubt any of these commercial guys are truly reliant on striped bass for a big percent of their income and if they made the switch to charter for catch and release; I suspect in the long run they would profit more. Florida and others are the perfect example, look at the economic impact their protected and priced game fish mean.

MAKAI
07-28-2018, 11:48 AM
Take a look at the ultra expensive trucks and boats at boat ramps Monday and Thursday. No one is living a hard scrabble, pay check to pay check life there. Wish I was that destitute.

cow tamer
07-28-2018, 11:50 AM
Like on shark week in an area of Mexico targeted for shark fins.
It is a targeted "kill zone".

piemma
07-29-2018, 07:19 AM
Game fish would mean more revenue for the hotels, restaurants, tackle shops, clothing stores, charter captains, boat rental and dealer ships to mention a few. I doubt any of these commercial guys are truly reliant on striped bass for a big percent of their income and if they made the switch to charter for catch and release; I suspect in the long run they would profit more. Florida and others are the perfect example, look at the economic impact their protected and priced game fish mean.

Exactly. The politicians are too stupid to realize this. Look at the Snook and Tarpon fishery in FL. Now worth millions to the rec dealers.

Clammer
07-29-2018, 08:55 AM
Florida & Florida & RI is RI

a lot of guys , recs, familys , eat the bass .

see how bait shows feels if they can,t sell clamworms @ 8.50 per dozen & up .the Scuppers arn,t buying worms .
& terminal tackle ??????

Charter boats ..……… only in RI .I know there are plenty that catch & release , but also a lot do that plus the charters do want the option to take home one or two 0r a 50 #

Yet .rumor has it the RICBA isn,t happy with one bass per angler …….. that they are going to propose to have another exception for then next year .like they already have for all ground fish . they want two bass per angler per [TRIP] some make more than one trip a day .

yes most commercial R&R bass fisherman can,t make a living on stripers …………. but in RI you also have spear fisherman & trap fisherman that target bass .

also with few exception few commercials fisherman can make it on any fish & many fish >>any & everything to make a living .
traps , R&R , lobster, crabs, fish , digging .

IMO .which is all it is will only hurt the guy really trying to make a living ……… the black market will thrive & life goes on.

A real effort by enforcement with real high fines/penalities , instead of looking the other way . would really help to curtail illegal fisheries ……………. But at this stage I,m broken & tired of the B/S & sadly the boat has been at the dock waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than I can remember .
Fishing & the life was good while it lasted ………...I just told my kid last week .that if I get altimzers [sp] & I start forgetting about ya Mom or I can,t remember the stories .P L E A S E . help me ……….. OUT :soon:

Guppy
07-29-2018, 01:17 PM
Went by the herring run around 3 this morn,,,, not a parking space left...
Westport ramp 4:30 no problemo , thanks Wayne

bobber
07-31-2018, 12:26 PM
Exactly. The politicians are too stupid to realize this. Look at the Snook and Tarpon fishery in FL. Now worth millions to the rec dealers.

how about the goliath grouper fishery? that's not a glamour fish, but look at all the TV time it gets now that they're around...... people fish for them FOR FUN

this "fish have value when they're dead" mentality had got to stop

Nebe
07-31-2018, 01:20 PM
how about the goliath grouper fishery? that's not a glamour fish, but look at all the TV time it gets now that they're around...... people fish for them FOR FUN

this "fish have value when they're dead" mentality had got to stop

But how else will all thbe weekend warriors be able to pay for their boats and dockage?

Rockport24
08-03-2018, 03:40 PM
Hey guys! Long time no see!
I am proud to say I've never fished the canal, but l gotta say that something is VERY wrong when the only place on that part of the cape to catch good fish is the canal.
Are you guys saying that even the commercial guys that would otherwise be out in boats are now fishing the canal? Holy chit!