View Full Version : Fish kills and food for thought

Joe
08-26-2003, 08:17 AM
Imagine if we, as recreational fishermen, did something that caused two massive fish kills in the space of two weeks.

What would the reaction of the waterfront residents and seaside towns be to our actions?

Would they be outraged?

Would there be a call for restrictions and a halt to rec. fishing because of it's impact on the bay?

We may have the ammo we need to counter the arguments against access inside these events. How can property owners collectively characterize themselves as stewards of the environment and us as pigs in light of what is happening?

The logic of that argument is false, and the proof is on the front page. These massive fish kills are one result of waterfront development.

Gloucester2
08-26-2003, 09:35 AM
How?

JohnR
08-26-2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Gloucester2
How?

Runoff from septic systems on older homes

Overcapacity when tying into public sewers that can't handle the load as it is

Chemlawn

Bliz
08-26-2003, 09:50 AM
I hate to hear that.

Especially when there is so much waterfront development going on right now in Tiverton.

FishermanTim
08-26-2003, 11:18 AM
Here's my $.02 worth.
I used to live in Arlington, MA a few bloacks from Spy Pond.
It's an oval shaped pond, divided in half by a small island.
I used to fish there regularly, and saw what waterfront development can and does do to aquatic environments.
When I first began fishing there, both sides of the pond were similar in amounts of vegetation and fish population. after five years of fertilizer runoff and the ever-popular canadian goose turds, the heavily used/treated half of the pond was almost completely destroyed. No plants, No fish, and of course, plenty of geese. Although the geese weren't the initial problem, they were enticed to come and stay and became part of it.
Luckily, the remaining half of the pond had remained relatively clean, but for how much longer?
Sorry for the length, but if this can happen in short order in a closed waterway, it can MOST definitely happen in coastal waterways.

Gloucester2
08-26-2003, 12:46 PM
Tim - ever see them Tiger Musky in Spy ?

:D

BasicPatrick
08-26-2003, 02:42 PM
I have caught three Tigers in Spy...I used to chase em all over MA. Spy was a special place for me for a long time. Thanks for bringing it up and stirring some memories

Patrick

Fish On
08-26-2003, 04:35 PM
Fisherman Tim,
Might want to re-check your facts. I happen to be an old hockey player from Medford and quite familiar with Arlington hockey players. Those "Spy Ponders" from Arlington, although great skaters, weren't too bright and didn't take showers too often. I heard that the side of the pond that doesn't have anything growing in it is where these guys used to practice all winter and spring. Anyway, they often skated on thin ice and well (they weren't too bright right), fell through leaving a stink in the water that still hasn't gone away. That's really what happened to the aquatic life on that side of Spy Pond.