View Full Version : Lure depths.

Patrick
03-27-2001, 03:52 PM
Allright, this was posted on the "slow" board but I see it was lost when John fixed it.

~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm looking for swimming lures that swim 2-4 feet I guess. As of right now, they need to be over 1 oz because that's what my rod handles but as I make the steelhead rods, I'll be able to use the smaller ones.

The one lure that was recommended in the short time my post was up, was a Mambo Minnow. I have the 7 inch kind but he doesn't get too much usage. Maybe I'll use him more.

Any other suggestions? It was also suggested that I grind down the lip on the lures I like already but as we all know, I'll pull a Patrick.

By the way, going to the hardware store tonight to get some PVC pipe. One length to slip on my belt for a rod holder. The other one is to hold a gaff. Found my old short handled boat gaff. Gonna start lipping the larger bluefish because I'm tired of getting bit and stung.

Got Stripers
03-27-2001, 05:11 PM
I'd try some of those mega baits, sweet finish, nice hooks, cast a mile and swim very shallow (1-2 feet max). I picked up some at Mikes for $7, then I saw them at the show for less...ahhhhhh. I should have waited I guess, but hind sight is always 20/20.

Personally, I could get rid of every hard bait I've got and throw nothing but plastic and be a happy camper. Plastic is very effective in shallow water, especially if it's clear and the fish are spooky.

[img="http://www.rgsiroisco.com/fisherman.gif"]
Tight lines.

East Tide
03-27-2001, 08:53 PM
Patrick, It's usually not a good idea to screw around with lips on lures, even if your a sharpie and just bending the metal on a Dani style plug. Steve Papows mentioned it in his seminar this weekend. If you grind down a 7" Gags your going to change how it was meant to wobble. I have some 7" but mostly use the 5" for schoolie fishing. I really like the looks of the Mega Bait swimmers and bought some from Mike T at the show ( Ha, Ha GS :) ) They are about 1.5 oz which would be fine for your rod. They usually weight them a little low and you should really be able to chuck it. The Yo-Zuri Tobimaru is also a nice small swimmer. They have some falsh ( real good for catching fisherman ) and are right around 1oz. That was my favorite last year and the year before but I feel these Megas will be tough to beat. Don't overlook the stand-bys for colors and a little thinner shape like Bombers and Rebels. The 1 oz 7" Rebel floater is a grea plug, one of your favorite authors favorites. Get a few of each, size difference is good so you have a little of each, if you don't have the duckets to have it all :)

East Tide
Dave B

JohnR
03-27-2001, 09:54 PM
I agree with all of the above too but would highly recommend that mombo - even the 7". You should be able to move the 5" with a spinner too. What rod are you using?? You can also load up the 5" with a some BB's if you want a little extra weight but I wouldn't go nuts. Also, IMO, the Mambo is best worked slowly and twitched on the surface. It has this great wiggle which get's under a bass's scales. Sometimes when the fish were not hitting anything there, I'd toss an olive/silver Mambo and pretty much let it still on the surface and just twitch it a little. Stinkin' Irresistable sometimes...

Patrick's original post:

The beaches I'm fishing aren't all too deep. I tried to fish the darter(just to try it out) and it was hitting bottom. A lot of my lures hit bottom. The casting swimmer hits the bottom if I work it a little to fast, same with the supershad rap, the darter, most of my swimming lures. The only thing is the lures that don't hit bottom, such as my redfins, are incredibly hard to cast.
This is the problem. I'm looking for lures in the 1 oz+ range that will work 4 feet of water or higher. Right now it's gotta be 1 oz or more to work on my rod. As soon as I get the Lami steelhead rods built and the reels, I'll be able to chuck bombers efficently.

Thanks,

Patrick

Mayor Mcfish's reply to your original post:

I like the mambo minnows. THey only go down a couple feet. But if you like a lure that dives to deep, file down the lip. I've done that with several lures because I had the same problem. The rapala magnums work well once the lip has been reduced by 30-40%.

Patrick
03-27-2001, 10:37 PM
Thanks guys.

The rod I'm using is the St Croix Ben Doerr 10'. It is rated up to 3 oz. But it's really 1-2.5. I can cast light stuff short distances in a pinch but I don't like to. I did get away with casting a 1/16 oz shad dart though.
The next rod is a Mb1083m I think it is. I have it written down. Then the one after that is another 9 footer only a little lighter for casting 5 inch fin-s on light jigheads.

I'll check out the Tobimarus and the megabaits I guess. Also was looking at Rapala Minnow I think it was. Have one in 2 oz and one in 1 oz I believe.

Thanks guys.

Plug
03-28-2001, 02:31 AM
7" Redfins, Metal lipped woodies

Saltheart
03-28-2001, 09:20 AM
A lot of the lures will have the depth at which they run written on the box. That's usually for a trolling spead of about 3 knots or so. You can makethem run anywhere from very shallow to max depth by contolling the speed of your retrieve. You can make them run deeper by adding a rubber core sinker somewhere up the line ahead of the swimmer. Be sure to put it up far enough so that it doesn't effect the action of the lure.