View Full Version : Vineyard Derby

Fish On
08-26-2003, 03:54 PM
I thought I'd start a quick chat on the Vineyard Derby. I know that there must be many folks that are members of this site and of MSBA that are fishing the derby for various days throughout Sept and Oct. I myself have fished this tournament for the past 5 or 6 years and have enjoyed it tremendously. For the past 2 years I have rented a small waterfront condo for a week with my girlfriend and fished both from shore and in my 22' WA. This year I will be at the condo the week of 9/21 through 9/28. I'll also be heading down for a couple of the other weekends. I'm interested in other folks that might like to get together for a night or 2 of surf-casting from South Beach or Gay Head as well as folks that might be interested in boat fishing. Who is going down, when? Any plans for surf-casting as a group, around a fire, with fish stories and other comforts? Would anyone like to suggest a spot and an evening (with moon and tide in mind) to have a surf-casting get together. If anyone is interested in fishing for a day on my boat and giving my girlfirend a day of shopping (which she would love) please respond also.

Notaro
08-26-2003, 04:01 PM
I doubt that I can make it at MV derby. Although, I would like to go, but how long does a person fish just to win a prize?

blackeye
08-26-2003, 04:23 PM
I'll just be missing you, fishing from the 17th to the 21st. if you have comp access while you are there I can give you a heads up.

chris

Squid kids Dad
08-26-2003, 04:27 PM
Good idea....But my brother & myself not going until oct 2nd..7:05 a/m boat...Man I can't wait...Really looking forward to it this year..GOOD LUCK

vineyardblues
08-26-2003, 04:44 PM
I will be over the 27- oct 4.
:) :) :) :) :)
catch me if you can

VB

I will also over sep 19-20 and 21st

JohnR
08-26-2003, 05:14 PM
Depending on the employment sitiation I'll be crashed on a couch over there or pulling my hair out!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm likin' the Rhody / Vineyard ferry (hope it runs that late)

BEETLE
08-27-2003, 06:59 AM
just made the arrangements - will be there the 21st to the 27th.
Will be staying at Fisherwoman + Baitcasters place.
:happy:

fishweewee
08-27-2003, 07:18 AM
:smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

Cape...Vineyard...Cape....Vineyard.....AHHHHHH! :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

macojoe
08-27-2003, 09:41 AM
I will be fishing by Boat, I can't afford to live on the main land never mind the Island!!
I guess I could fish on the beach with ya, I will just drive the boat on to it :laughs: :laughs:

Fish On
08-27-2003, 03:51 PM
It would be great to meet you Maco Joe, whether fishing on the beach or teaming up on one of our boats for a day. Beetle, where is the place you are staying at? Sounds like there may be more folks from the website staying there. Perhaps we may have the makings for a night of surf casting???

BasicPatrick
08-28-2003, 08:21 AM
Fish On,

I arrive on the 21st and am there for three solid weeks.

Are you the gentlemen I spoke to at the July meeting???

I am in for anything...MV Derby...3 tides a day for three weeks...come home and start waiting for next year

Fish On
08-28-2003, 09:05 AM
Basic Patrick,
Yes that's me. Sounds like lots of fun. Do you fish from the beach occasionally as well as from a boat? I like to do both depending on conditions, weather, mood, etc. I wouldn't mind hooking up for a bit of both while we are there. Beach fishing can be come one come all. How about we pick a night and a place during that week for a beach outing? We can post the info. here to let others join in the fun if they like. If we make it early in the week we can use that night to discuss a day on my boat as well.

I'm starting to get excited about the Derby!

BasicPatrick
08-28-2003, 11:13 PM
Fish On,

I fish, therefore I am (on MV).

I fish about 2/3 shore and 1/3 boat usually when I am there.

Patrick's Derby Rule....Fish 3 tides a day...18 hrs fishing or fishing related activity (catching Bait, etc.)...eat for two hours in total...sleep for four...ok maybe two hours a night

I think this board and the type on it are so special (as in riding the little bus to school) that we deserve the best of the best.

We deserve only one particular shore experience if we are getting together on MV...........................Throw out Nappatree as it is just not far enough of a walk, Nauset Inlet is like fishing at the Parking Lot in comparison, Walk around Block or Cutty any other da.

For my money the most storied shore fishing location on the Striped Coast is the one that originally earned the name "The Death March". I move that the body of brave souls from this board who are interested in getting together on MV meet at a public location and take a stroll out to the Bass Stand. Not a Bass Stand, but the Bass Stand. I say we all get together and go fish the shores of Squibby proper. Not the bowl but all the way to the rocks that held that world famous stand. That's what we should do.

Fish On
08-29-2003, 09:01 AM
I'm totally up for that. I've not fished Squibby from shore as of yet. I just checked the handy site www.capetides.com. Late night high tides start at 3:50 AM on the 21st and are 45 minutes later each day. New moon is Thursday the 25th. What would you think about Sunday or Monday night. Tide starts coming in before midnight both nights. How about Monday night for Squibby since you are just getting there on Sunday and will need to get settled? The moon should be dark but provide a little light for getting around down there. High tide would be at 5:22 AM. Any suggestions on a public meeting place and time?

I'd also like to throw out date and time for an evening on south beach for those that like to bring along a few more comforts and like to drive all the way to the spot. South Beach is wide open and can be very good striper fishing (of course not as good as squibby). But I'm much more comfortable having a beer on south beach. For this one we can meet at "the triangle" parking lot in Edgartown where the Dippin Donuts shop is. There is a pharmacy and an outdoorsman shop in the same plaza. If you are driving along State Beach from Oak Bluffs this spot will be on your right. Would Wed. night work for folks for this one? How's 9 PM sound?

Mike P
08-29-2003, 10:58 AM
I'll make a guess here---I'll say that in the years since they put bass back in the Derby, more shore winners came off South Beach than from Squibby. ;)

Fish On
08-29-2003, 11:12 AM
I'll bet you are right, but if you compare person-hours fishing in both locations I'll bet that South Beach is way ahead because of the access situation. The good thing is that the big ones do come in close to south beach, no doubt.

By the way, Basic Patrick, who is going to carry the 50 lb cow we catch back to the car from Squibby? Seriously, what's the best way to get it back?

vineyardblues
08-29-2003, 04:04 PM
If I can answer a question or 2 :)

Yes more fish from the south beaches than squib.
But years ago you could drive down a lot closer than today.
><> ><>

And you would drag it from your belt from a rope :)

VB

vineyardblues
08-29-2003, 04:09 PM
My personal best was from East beach . :) :) :):) +

The most bass I ever got was at Lobsterville :)

So their you go :)

VB

fishweewee
08-29-2003, 04:35 PM
#^&#^&#^&#^&.

Hathaway.

:D

blackeye
08-29-2003, 04:41 PM
;) Lobsterville;)

BasicPatrick
08-29-2003, 10:05 PM
More winners have also been caught on cut bait then all other techniques combined but I am either pluggin or throwing eels...

South Beach on a weeknight is awwweeesome...on the weekend yo can keep it

who cares, it will be fun

Mike P
08-29-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by fishweewee
#^&#^&#^&#^&.

Hathaway.

:D

Yeah, but he still caught all those fish from the beach on the Vineyard, Ben. Granted, 8 fish among 3 guys is breaking the rules, but they were still caught legitimately.

Unlike Scott Terry who caught his winning bluefish 20 miles outside the boat boundaries. And, the moron was seen out there and warned beforehand not to weigh in that fish. They were laying for him at the weigh-in---the radio was alive with his whereabouts all afternoon.

fishweewee
08-30-2003, 05:33 AM
Oh, I know, Mike.

The man is BRILLIANT. Sheez, here I am killing myself for weeks at a time to catch A fifty, and here is this guy who has SIX of 'em flapping in the sand. :smash:

Flatfish
08-30-2003, 06:35 AM
Well tell us all the story. Some of us have no idea what you are talking about.

So who's in for the surf casting evening get togethers on the vineyard?

Squibby Monday 9/21 South Beach Wednesday 9/23

Mike P
08-30-2003, 07:24 AM
Flatfish---every so often, the Derby has a cheating scandal. There are guys over there who have made something of a career watching other fishermen and reporting them for rules violations. I remember one year, a guy was disqualified because he caught one bass, gave it away, and then kept a second.

Hathaway won a couple of Derbies years ago---in fact, I think he still holds the record for biggest bass. He dropped out of the Derby when they took bass out, the re-entered when they were put back in and won again in the late 1990s. The following year, one of the dime-droppers was glassing him and his two fishing partners on South Beach, and he watched them keep 8 bass So he turned in one of the Derby's "living legends".

Scott Terry won multiple Derbies for bluefish and bonito in the late 80s and early 90s. One day, he was seen by one of the locals about 20 miles south of Nomans. which is about 20 miles beyond the boat boundaries of the Vineyard. The conversation went something like this: "Hey Scott, what the hell are ya doing way the hell out here?" "This is my brother-in-law, I'm trying to get him a nice bluefish." Get anything?" "Yeah I got this nice one at the Hooter before we came out here". "Scott, I hope you realize you can't weigh that in---the rules say if you transport a fish outside the boundaries, you can't weigh it in" "Yeah, I know. No problem, we're just fishing for fun"

The other guy got on the horn and Terry was watched from then on until he docked his boat. He got a 10 year suspension from the Derby. I don't know what Hathaway's punishment was---maybe half that?

basskid
08-30-2003, 01:07 PM
he got ten years.

Mr. Sandman
08-30-2003, 01:07 PM
:D I can't wait....I am ready to rock baby.

Fisherwoman
08-30-2003, 02:20 PM
;) Fish On, BC and I might be up for that as we will be there from Sept 21st to Oct 12th. Basic Patrick and a few others from this board will be staying with us. i think it is a great Idea and should be alot of fun.

blackeye
08-31-2003, 05:09 PM
I was fishing the derby in the mid 90's and a local weighed in a 50+ pounder on the first nite-said he picked it up at squibby.
sounded kinda fishy to me-no pun intended.

macojoe
09-01-2003, 11:52 AM
fish on, I can always wait off shore in my boat and take all tyhe big fish to the dock for you's :D :D :D :D
I will do it for free!! But I hope I won't get lost finding the dock then have to go back to my truck :happy: :happy: Lots of fish for me.

Mr. Sandman
09-02-2003, 01:33 PM
For all you derby surfcasters....the beach beckons......

Squid kids Dad
09-02-2003, 02:02 PM
Mr. Sandman.....I can't wait.. :happy:

Fish On
09-02-2003, 09:17 PM
Wasque Point looking down South Beach right?

Mike P
09-03-2003, 04:50 AM
Wrong :D

Mr. Sandman
09-03-2003, 07:36 AM
Actually this was taken on Labor Day (notice everyone has left!) (just west of wasque) along the county beach about 1/2 mile prior to the beach entrance to wasque... looking west down the beach . ( A few blues and a nice family beach BBQ) Had the place to ourselves.

Mike P...whats happening out Montauk way these days?

Mike P
09-03-2003, 12:35 PM
Haven't been out yet. I'm not hearing anything but with the recent weather changes, I wouldn't be surprised if it's starting out there ;)

Swimmer
09-03-2003, 04:22 PM
You know it is not just walking out to the bass stand, but fishing every square foot on the walk to the stand that makes the death march so memorable. I have been managing two walks a year and have caught more fish on the walk out. Sometimes in only a foot of water on the fly. The people that regularly fish this beach are truly one of a kind die hards. This is the first place I ever saw someone use clamp-ons to climb up on top of a rock. The rock had to be four feet out of the water. I was truly amazed the guy was able to get up on the boulder as slippery as it was, but he did, and he stayed there for a few hours until well-after the tide passed the high point. :soon: Anyways like BasicPatrick says if you want its three tides a day. I did that once with my wife in tow in 1984 and that was the last time she ask to go with me. :D
It poured the whole day and night and she just didn't appreciate sitting in the van with all the rotten squid in back. It worked out for the best though. :rolleyes:

One more cast, just one more.......

blackeye
09-03-2003, 07:21 PM
must....get....snelling....only two weeks......snell.....snell....snell