View Full Version : Fishing Cape Ann

Fly Rod
08-28-2003, 07:49 AM
Had a family of five out yesterday, 2 adults 3 kids. They had a blast catching blues.
There are alot of spike mackerel off of Cape Ann. Also there are an abundance of football size bluefin tuna on the 30 fathom line towards Jefferies.

Notaro
08-29-2003, 08:43 AM
that's a sweet catches, a football tuna!

Fish On
09-03-2003, 01:19 PM
Hi Fly Rod,
I went through there on Monday but didn't see any footballs. I probably missed them and was too close to Cape Ann. I came in from Jeffries and tried to keep my eyes peeled but didn't see any signs of them. So you say the 30 fathom line heh? I'll have to take a closer look in there if I make it out this weekend. I had my Penn 8500 surf caster with me and some a few 50 W Internationals. I'd love to hook into 1 of those, preferably on one of the 50's.

Did anyone say what they were biting on? See any pulled in?

Thanks for the heads up!

Fly Rod
09-03-2003, 04:49 PM
You may have missed them. They fallow the bait. Havn't heard of anything last couple of days about the footballs.

There were plenty of blue fish on Sunday.

One fella had been catching some good size stripers in close to the rocks from the breakwater along the shore to Good Harbor Beach.

RockLobsta
09-05-2003, 06:54 AM
Fly-

Have you been out this week? Going lookin for some blues this weekend...just wanna have some fun and get some dinner. Last time I was out they were blitz'ing off thatchers..Hopefully there still around.....

Fly Rod
09-05-2003, 08:29 PM
thatchers is a good place to start. You can go over to the flat grounds which is behind the break water. Also troll from the green can at the suken end (north end ) of the breakwater to the green can at halibut point.

Also you might want to scout around a couple of miles off of thatchers, red nun a little more then 3 milesoff of thatchers, towards the east.

RockLobsta
09-06-2003, 05:31 AM
Thanks Fly......

That is my "go to" spot of choice just not sure I 'll make it over there this weekend with the surf. Hopefully it won't be too bad, its supposed to be beautiful both days this weekend.

Anyway thanks and good luck to ya if you go out......

Fly Rod
09-06-2003, 07:20 AM
Blue fish are off the back shore this morning a couple hundred yards Just got off the cell phone with a friend that I was watching fish. I will be out there by 9:00 this morning. I drive around the back shore every morning to see if birds are working.

The back shore is from Bracies Cove to Good harbor beach so it should be good all the way to Thatchers

Some surf but not heavy

Fly Rod
09-06-2003, 04:15 PM
Fishing was ok caught a few blues. Plenty of bait fish, birds working but bait fish not staying up long. Doing alot of chasing.

My friend called me and said that they were wacking the blues off of the sea bouy off of Thatchers that is about 3 miles east of Thatchers. Also reports of small tuna out there.

Fish seem to be chasing spike mackerel and also small baits like bunker

I'll be out there tomorrow at 7:00 am with a charter
Seas were small rollers
It was a beautiful day on the water:happy: :happy:

RockLobsta
09-06-2003, 06:51 PM
Fly

I was out there as well all day. Ended up chasing some blues over by the salvages......

I'll be out again in the AM.... Do you monitor any channel? Are you working the charter or fishing?

Should be another awesome day on the water!!

Maybe I'll see you out there....

:wavey:

Fly Rod
09-06-2003, 09:57 PM
I'm working the charter. I also keep the vhf on scan most of the time and some times I mornitore channel 7 We probably crossed paths today.

The charter boat that docks next to me said that he was hooking the bait fish with his rapalas that's how thick they were.
I had big balls of bait under my boat.
tomorrow is another day.
Good luck:happy: :happy: