View Full Version : Out-a-comission - @ least digitally

JohnR
08-30-2003, 07:58 AM
I schmoked another hard drive so I'll be limited e-mail and online until I get stuff recovered and up and running....

For those I was talking with about going fishing tonight - PM me...

Clammah - call me

Thanks,

John

Raven
08-31-2003, 06:53 AM
i hate when that happens............:wall:

JohnR
09-01-2003, 01:08 PM
Yes - I jinxed myself mentioning that Dells were OK unless they have IBM Deathstars in them - which I had - and which croaked on me. Most of my data has been recovered (and all of the impoirtant stuff) and restored but in case I've missed any requests recently, I do not have the ability to restore everything. Please PM me anything I've missed....

Thanks

macojoe
09-02-2003, 01:02 AM
I have a Dell 4400 1.6 gig and love it!! I have had this for 1 1/2 years with out a problem. Hope you get it fixed soon.
What has ticked me off if that I have a Kodak DC265 Dig. Camera and I took about 40 pic this week end and the Compact Flash card died!! I mean I was taking a pic and it would not work i said what is wrong with this thing??? It was saying that it had no card?? So after playing with it for a while I took the card out and put another that I have in it and it works fine! But I have lost all them pics and the card does not work at all! :af: it was a 64 MB PNY card. I only have owened it about 10 months!! So as you cam imange I am ticked over this!

MikeTLive
09-02-2003, 07:31 AM
1.6G? One(point)SIX?

I just rebuilt my server - a SUN Ultra10 running Solaris9. I added a pair of 120Gb drives mirrored for the odd time that one of them hickups.

I try to only store application (Games, MSOffice, StarOffice, etc) and operating system data on my WindBlows box. I use a share from the SUN to store any real file data. That way it is safe from my nonmirrored PC setup.

My job is up sometime before end of october so I am thinking of going personal at home consulting. Would anyone here be interested in paying a local person to maintain your PC?

JohnR
09-02-2003, 08:38 AM
MikeT - don't muscle in on my turf :laughs: - I've been out of work since May - sucks.... If anyone needs Webhosting (which in turn indirectly supports this site) or any work in their office or at the home (networking, security validation, salvage, secure wireless, VPN, et all) give me a jingle :btu: .

Personally, I run this on a VPS with a great hosting company. One day I'll have a Dedi there but for right now...

I have screen prints of my Netware boxes at 300+ days before bringing them down for patches & updates.... And my Apache servers running on spare parts PCs being more reliable... Windows does blow.... Although Win2K was a significant upgrade over NT...

MJ - don't get me wrong, the Dells are good for the dough but they had a bad string of IBM Deskstar (A/K/A DeathStar) hard drives in a lot of their desktops. I eluded to that the other day and my Deathstar got pissed and started the warm click of death...